Another Interesting Mock draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Another Interesting Mock draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Another Interesting Mock draft

Postby Bloody Sox » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:44 am

moose32 wrote:i'm on the fence about markakis. his stats are impressive, but it took him a lot of abs to get there. i think he'll go too high for my taste.

I drafted Markakis last year after owning him (and his great second half) in 2006. For some reason I found him annoying to own - it seemed I could never justify putting him in over my other OF guys. He never seemed like a better bet to get me HRs or steals as compared to my other 2nd and 3rd OF (Granderson, Hawpe, Abreu, etc.), so he just sat on my bench almost all year. Can't argue with the overall numbers, or very nice second halves, however. Maybe I'll let someone else draft him and then try to buy low on him mid-season.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 20)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:50 am

J35J wrote:
hot4tx wrote:Do the people getting Hanley/Reyes/Rollins really get enough advantage over the guys getting Tulo and Jeter to justify the difference between early 1st and late 4th/early 5th?

You can say this about any player at any position at any round in the draft. Just take the best players possible and worry about the value picks when that time comes.

Agreed. I don't even look at positions until past round 6 or 7. I usually take the best players that I feel the safest about at that point regardless of position.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby PerfectTen66 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:12 pm

Yoda wrote:
J35J wrote:
hot4tx wrote:Do the people getting Hanley/Reyes/Rollins really get enough advantage over the guys getting Tulo and Jeter to justify the difference between early 1st and late 4th/early 5th?

You can say this about any player at any position at any round in the draft. Just take the best players possible and worry about the value picks when that time comes.

Agreed. I don't even look at positions until past round 6 or 7. I usually take the best players that I feel the safest about at that point regardless of position.

I have to disagree. If you ignore positions early, then you may miss out on value. For example, isn't Victor Martinez or Russell Martin very valuable b/c catcher is a thin position. If you take Prince in the first round instead of Jimmy Rollins, aren't I in better shape as a whole team when I take Rollins and then get Teix or Berkman or Morneau a round or two later based on the drop off at the position? I know most people would agree with you, but I just wanted to bring a counter-argument to the table.
PerfectTen66
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rotoquest » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:03 pm

Update on this ten teamer.

Pk# Player Owner
7.67 Fausto Carmona SP CLE BaseballGuy
7.66 Carlos Zambrano SP CHC wkelly91
7.65 Dan Haren SP OAK rotoquest
7.64 Joe Mauer C MIN PRSTOP5
7.63 Roy Oswalt SP HOU OneLoveBoomer
7.62 John Smoltz SP ATL 2007 rookie
7.61 Miguel Tejada SS BAL kaildogg
6.60 Adrian Gonzalez 1B SD kaildogg
6.59 Carlos Guillen SS DET 2007 rookie
6.58 Roy Halladay SP TOR OneLoveBoomer
6.57 Scott Kazmir SP TB PRSTOP5
6.56 Bobby Abreu OF NYY rotoquest
6.55 Chone Figgins 3B LAA wkelly91
6.54 Aaron Harang SP CIN BaseballGuy
6.53 Justin Verlander SP DET joec
6.52 Cole Hamels SP PHI horatio
6.51 Francisco Rodriguez RP LAA Old_Style
5.50 Brian Roberts 2B BAL Old_Style
5.49 Robinson Cano 2B NYY horatio
5.48 Erik Bedard SP BAL joec
5.47 John Lackey SP LAA BaseballGuy
5.46 B.J. Upton OF TB wkelly91
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 256)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:43 pm

Man, I think Miggy's going way too high there. he ranked about 12 or 3 out of all SS and 150 or so overall last year. While I know it was not one of his better years, he's getting old and I can't see him with a strong rebound.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:02 pm

I would take MTejada earlier than he's been taken as well. I've been able to grab Jeter at pretty good spots though so I haven't had the chance.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Yoda » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:48 pm

PerfectTen66 wrote:I have to disagree. If you ignore positions early, then you may miss out on value. For example, isn't Victor Martinez or Russell Martin very valuable b/c catcher is a thin position. If you take Prince in the first round instead of Jimmy Rollins, aren't I in better shape as a whole team when I take Rollins and then get Teix or Berkman or Morneau a round or two later based on the drop off at the position? I know most people would agree with you, but I just wanted to bring a counter-argument to the table.

So what? There are so many Cs available that will come close to Victor and Martin this year who you can grab much later. I draft guys that I know will give me the production that I need with my first 6-7 picks. I couldn't care less if I draft two 1B as long as they are productive.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:50 pm

rotoquest wrote:Update on this ten teamer.

Pk# Player Owner
7.67 Fausto Carmona SP CLE BaseballGuy
7.66 Carlos Zambrano SP CHC wkelly91
7.65 Dan Haren SP OAK rotoquest
7.64 Joe Mauer C MIN PRSTOP5
7.63 Roy Oswalt SP HOU OneLoveBoomer
7.62 John Smoltz SP ATL 2007 rookie
7.61 Miguel Tejada SS BAL kaildogg
6.60 Adrian Gonzalez 1B SD kaildogg
6.59 Carlos Guillen SS DET 2007 rookie
6.58 Roy Halladay SP TOR OneLoveBoomer
6.57 Scott Kazmir SP TB PRSTOP5
6.56 Bobby Abreu OF NYY rotoquest
6.55 Chone Figgins 3B LAA wkelly91
6.54 Aaron Harang SP CIN BaseballGuy
6.53 Justin Verlander SP DET joec
6.52 Cole Hamels SP PHI horatio
6.51 Francisco Rodriguez RP LAA Old_Style
5.50 Brian Roberts 2B BAL Old_Style
5.49 Robinson Cano 2B NYY horatio
5.48 Erik Bedard SP BAL joec
5.47 John Lackey SP LAA BaseballGuy
5.46 B.J. Upton OF TB wkelly91

Oswalt, Kazmir and Upton were pretty good picks.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby PerfectTen66 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:47 pm

Yoda wrote:
PerfectTen66 wrote:I have to disagree. If you ignore positions early, then you may miss out on value. For example, isn't Victor Martinez or Russell Martin very valuable b/c catcher is a thin position. If you take Prince in the first round instead of Jimmy Rollins, aren't I in better shape as a whole team when I take Rollins and then get Teix or Berkman or Morneau a round or two later based on the drop off at the position? I know most people would agree with you, but I just wanted to bring a counter-argument to the table.

So what? There are so many Cs available that will come close to Victor and Martin this year who you can grab much later. I draft guys that I know will give me the production that I need with my first 6-7 picks. I couldn't care less if I draft two 1B as long as they are productive.

I think we're making the same point here. By being able to grab someone late who will put up numbers like VMart and RMart, it would be foolish to take those guys. It's all about value. Although, I'm not exactly sure what Cs you have in mind. Could you give me some names please?
PerfectTen66
College Coach
College Coach

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:56 pm

b.t.w, as far as taking Utley early goes, I don't think it's too much of a reach. Or, if it is, it's a justified one. Talk of other 2B's coming close to him this year .... I'm not buying it, but we'll see at the end of the season. He's the 2B monster, worth picks 3, 4, 5, or 6 (if still available that late) more so than Holliday or Wright I think. VG, Guerrero, C.Lee, Soriano, Crawford, and Sizemore can be had second round, and Miguel Cabrera, Atkins, ARam, etc, can be had for good value too. I think that something like Utley / C.Lee beats Holliday and an eventual Phillips pick later on. ;-D

But there are more who disagree than agree, I've found. Either way, one thing's for sure: Picking Utley with your third or fourth pick will not hurt you.

My team so far in this mock

C:
1B: L. Berkman (3rd)
2B: C. Utley (1st)
3B: A. Ramirez (4th)
SS: D. Jeter (5th)
OF:
OF:
OF:
UT:
P: J. Santana (2nd)
P: R. Halladay (6th)