CC Sabathia vs Josh Beckett - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

CC Sabathia vs Josh Beckett

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

CC Sabathia vs Josh Beckett

Postby horatio » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:48 pm

I would have leaned towards CC but after watching the two go head to head in the playoffs I'm thinking it would be hard to draft CC ahead of Josh - thoughts?
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: CC Sabathia vs Josh Beckett

Postby Yoda » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:53 pm

They are both top 10 and they will both likely be overvalued in 08.

That being said, I like CC better for 08 due to park/division advantage. Plus CC has been steadily improving/growing and has dealt with far less injuries.

Beckett could be more dominant and probably has a slightly higher ceiling but CC's floor is higher. Beckett does have a lot less mileage due to various injuries so I'm not sure if that is necessarily a good thing. Until I see Beckett pitch an entire season like he did in 07, I'd still give the nod to CC.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:57 pm

I'd take Beckett. Division and park make it a lot closer than it would be for me normally, but I just don't think that CC has the raw talent Beckett has and now that Beckett has finally shown he can harness it, I'd take him. But, unfortunately, they will both likely go before I'm willing to take them next year.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby acsguitar » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:00 pm

I still take CC due to the division difference and the fact that CC has shown his stuff in that division for a while and been effective. Maybe the AL EAST catches up to Josh?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby horatio » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:13 pm

It's hard not to rank the two equally, I figure since wins is also a category, I'll take the guy backed by Okajima and Papelbon over Betancourt and Borowski.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:30 pm

Tough call... divisions are very similar in terms of offensive firepower, both have had their share of nagging injuries over the last few years - (CC was obviously a horse in 2007, but that weight has to make him a higher injury risk), CC has been more consistent but his upside looks limited while Beckett looks like he could have more upside... if I had to pick, I'd go Beckett based purely on upside and being a homer because I can't really see a difference otherwise.

As with most of you, I think both will be gone where I'd take each of them... which is in the 5th round or so. I like to take one semi-stud in the 3rd round which is where I think CC and Beckett will go, but I don't like either of them that high.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:51 pm

It's a tough call for fantasy. Both pitchers have improved in a relatively steady manner, but Beckett had one hiccup.

Beckett had HR issues in '06:

Other than that, you're pretty much picking the same pitcher. Beckett strikes out a few more guys, but CC walks a few less. The fact that Beckett has faltered once while CC hasn't has me leaning toward CC as the guy I'd take if I had to choose.

For real life, though, I'd take Beckett without looking back. One of the few assertions that I agreed with this post season was the claim that Beckett has become the new "big game" pitcher of this generation. The man flat out delivers when it matters, and if this post season was any example, CC does not.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby davidmarver » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:54 pm

Durability and consistency are two things that favor Sabathia here.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby jake_harv88 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:57 pm

StlSluggers wrote:It's a tough call for fantasy. Both pitchers have improved in a relatively steady manner, but Beckett had one hiccup.

Beckett had HR issues in '06:

Other than that, you're pretty much picking the same pitcher. Beckett strikes out a few more guys, but CC walks a few less. The fact that Beckett has faltered once while CC hasn't has me leaning toward CC as the guy I'd take if I had to choose.

For real life, though, I'd take Beckett without looking back. One of the few assertions that I agreed with this post season was the claim that Beckett has become the new "big game" pitcher of this generation. The man flat out delivers when it matters, and if this post season was any example, CC does not.

off topic question. Whats the blue line? league average or something? Also what graphing program produced that? I haven't seen an output like that before...

Good analysis though, I agree with most of your points! ;-D
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby jake_harv88 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:59 pm

davidmarver wrote:Durability and consistency are two things that favor Sabathia here.

uh yeah...I'm gonna have to sorta go ahead and disagree with you on that one...

haha ok office space aside. I dont see where your coming from. Beckett has had little injury concerns the past couple of years and while the blisters could come back at any moment he seems to have gotten over them for now. Sabathia on the other hand is an over-weight pitcher that throws the heat. If anyone is going to have a serious breaking down my money would be on sabathia due to his weight concerns...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers