Cubs continue to torture fans: Wood Resigns - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cubs continue to torture fans: Wood Resigns

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Cubs continue to torture fans: Wood Resigns

Postby acsguitar » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:33 pm

Yoda wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
AcidRock23 wrote:Considering what the Sox shelled out for Linebrink, I am ok w/ the Cubs blowing some dough on Wood. It is a very low risk move. I think that his chassis is a lot more suited to relief work than to starting. I also think that his head will work better in relief. As long as they keep him out of the hot tub...

Actually its a very high risk move for a "decent" price.

Cubs total payroll was $100 mil in 07. $4 mil is 4% of their total payroll. That is peanuts and not something I would call a risk on a 25 man roster.

The salary isn't high risk but the player is. Is what I'm trying to say
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:40 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Yoda wrote:Cubs total payroll was $100 mil in 07. $4 mil is 4% of their total payroll. That is peanuts and not something I would call a risk on a 25 man roster.

I'm confused. What exactly is risky about Wood when you don't account for his salary? What are the Cubs risking other than losing the $4 mil? Medical bills?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby acsguitar » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:57 pm

Yoda wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Yoda wrote:Cubs total payroll was $100 mil in 07. $4 mil is 4% of their total payroll. That is peanuts and not something I would call a risk on a 25 man roster.

I'm confused. What exactly is risky about Wood when you don't account for his salary? What are the Cubs risking other than losing the $4 mil? Medical bills?

Embarrasment. The player is high risk. Are you saying Kerry wood isn't high risk?
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Yoda » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:01 pm

acsguitar wrote:Embarrasment. The player is high risk. Are you saying Kerry wood isn't high risk?

No but the risk is offset by reward. Are you saying that Wood has no upside and Cubs will be out $4 mil no matter what?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:05 pm

Yoda wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Embarrasment. The player is high risk. Are you saying Kerry wood isn't high risk?

No but the risk is offset by reward. Are you saying that Wood has no upside and Cubs will be out $4 mil no matter what?

I'd paper bag challenge you over it. What I'm saying is he's a huge risk who has been junk for 4 years straight. No the cubs aren't going to explode if he gets injured but the guy is an organizational embarrassment along with Mark Prior.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Yoda » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:07 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Yoda wrote:

I'd paper bag challenge you over it. What I'm saying is he's a huge risk who has been junk for 4 years straight. No the cubs aren't going to explode if he gets injured but the guy is an organizational embarrassment along with Mark Prior.

You can challenge me to whatever you want.

What is so embarrassing about signing an immensely talented player to a cheap one year deal in hopes that he can stay healthy? They stuck with him all this time and now that he is finally healthy, you let him sign on elsewhere? That defies logic.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:12 pm

Yoda wrote:

What is so embarrassing about signing an immensely talented player to a cheap one year deal in hopes that he can stay healthy? They stuck with him all this time and now that he is finally healthy, you let him sign on elsewhere? That defies logic.

He's not healthy he's just not currently injured.

Lets make a DL List paper bag challenge.

I say he hits the DL 3 times next year if I'm wrong then I wear a paperbag of your choice for 1 month
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Yoda » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:18 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Yoda wrote:

He's not healthy he's just not currently injured.

Lets make a DL List paper bag challenge.

I say he hits the DL 3 times next year if I'm wrong then I wear a paperbag of your choice for 1 month

Fine I say he doesn't hit the DL 3 times in 08.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:22 pm

I'm with Yoda, but for a different reason entirely... I think he'll hit the DL just once and then not be back for the entire year. :-D
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Yoda » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:23 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:I'm with Yoda, but for a different reason entirely... I think he'll hit the DL just once and then not be back for the entire year. :-D

I hope ACS likes a paper bag with a donkey's butt on it. :-D
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers