Cubs continue to torture fans: Wood Resigns - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cubs continue to torture fans: Wood Resigns

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Cubs continue to torture fans: Wood Resigns

Postby pjalst » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:50 pm

acsguitar wrote:Thats a MASSIVE IF btw. And 4 million buys you a decent player. Thats way to much for a guy who NEVER has been able to stay healthy and who has taken a ton of your money.

He's not worth more then 2mill

I agree,He should be playing for free :-D
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 33)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:56 pm

pjalst wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Thats a MASSIVE IF btw. And 4 million buys you a decent player. Thats way to much for a guy who NEVER has been able to stay healthy and who has taken a ton of your money.

He should be paying them to allow him to still play
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:59 pm

acsguitar wrote:
pjalst wrote:

He should be paying them to allow him to still play

You'll be laughing on the other side of your face when he makes 32 starts !+) :-S :-* :-? !+) !+)
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:12 pm

pokerplaya wrote:I didn't read it as "re-signs" I read it as resigns. As in retires; quits.

:-b

As did I.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:07 am

jake_harv88 wrote:ok money aside. Dont you think there is some level of embarrassment for the cubs organization if wood gets injured again?

I'll also throw out that wood gets another 3.5 mil based on games played so it would be good to see him pitch more games, but at that point the cubs no longer got him for the original 4.2 mil...

Ultimately it breaks down to this:

Wood gets injured as always - cubs pay 4.2 million and suffer the embarrassment of throwing more money at this guy

Wood pitches well all season - cubs pay closer to 8 million and no longer get this amazing "steal"

Worth it? I think not...

I disagree. When he has been healthy, he has been pretty dominant. If he gets injured, they lose $4.2M. If he stays healthy all season, they will get a dominant closer for between $6-8M. I see that as a positive for the Cubs. Where I see a potential problem is if he has a great season and wants more $$ guaranteed over more years. Then, the Cubs might want to cut bait.

With the crazy contracts being signed (F. Cordero, etc.), I don't see this as being a bad signing.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:47 am

Lofunzo wrote:
jake_harv88 wrote:ok money aside. Dont you think there is some level of embarrassment for the cubs organization if wood gets injured again?

I'll also throw out that wood gets another 3.5 mil based on games played so it would be good to see him pitch more games, but at that point the cubs no longer got him for the original 4.2 mil...

Wood gets injured as always - cubs pay 4.2 million and suffer the embarrassment of throwing more money at this guy

Wood pitches well all season - cubs pay closer to 8 million and no longer get this amazing "steal"

Worth it? I think not...

I disagree. When he has been healthy, he has been pretty dominant. If he gets injured, they lose $4.2M. If he stays healthy all season, they will get a dominant closer for between $6-8M. I see that as a positive for the Cubs. Where I see a potential problem is if he has a great season and wants more $$ guaranteed over more years. Then, the Cubs might want to cut bait.

With the crazy contracts being signed (F. Cordero, etc.), I don't see this as being a bad signing.

Isn't Marmol and ?Guzman? there closer of the future?
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:06 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

Worth it? I think not...

Isn't Marmol and ?Guzman? there closer of the future?

Not sure that any of them are ready for the job.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:35 am

Considering what the Sox shelled out for Linebrink, I am ok w/ the Cubs blowing some dough on Wood. It is a very low risk move. I think that his chassis is a lot more suited to relief work than to starting. I also think that his head will work better in relief. As long as they keep him out of the hot tub...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby acsguitar » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:40 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:Considering what the Sox shelled out for Linebrink, I am ok w/ the Cubs blowing some dough on Wood. It is a very low risk move. I think that his chassis is a lot more suited to relief work than to starting. I also think that his head will work better in relief. As long as they keep him out of the hot tub...

Actually its a very high risk move for a "decent" price.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Yoda » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:30 pm

acsguitar wrote:
AcidRock23 wrote:Considering what the Sox shelled out for Linebrink, I am ok w/ the Cubs blowing some dough on Wood. It is a very low risk move. I think that his chassis is a lot more suited to relief work than to starting. I also think that his head will work better in relief. As long as they keep him out of the hot tub...

Actually its a very high risk move for a "decent" price.

Cubs total payroll was $100 mil in 07. $4 mil is 4% of their total payroll. That is peanuts and not something I would call a risk on a 25 man roster.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers