Chris Davis(3B) Texas Rangers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Chris Davis(3B) Texas Rangers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chris Davis(3B) Texas Rangers

Postby JoeyTTU01 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:34 pm

I was debating Chris Davis with a guy, who says Davis is going to be a stud and will have no problems cracking the Rangers line-up, maybe as soon as Sept this year. I explained while he did a nice job in 2007 in Single-A and Double-A hitting 30 HRs, I would not going annointing him the next stud or anything. The Rangers have plenty of talent and depth at 3B with incumbent Hank Blalock, then you add in Travis Metcalf(extremely solid in the 2nd Half of last year) and Johnny Whittleman to the mix with Chris Davis.

There is talk that Davis could move to 1B, but then you run into what if Taylor Teagarden is the real deal at catcher, Salty could end up the everyday 1B.

What do you guys think about Chris Davis and his future?
My Team: HELP PLEASE
None Currently.

JoeyTTU01
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Chris Davis(3B) Texas Rangers

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:23 am

He had a horrible K/BB ratio...
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JoeyTTU01 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:38 am

Right, but his argument to that is this. He is just 21-YO, already in Double-A where he was successful, even if it was a limited sample size, just 30 gms (109 ABS) at Dobule-A where he hit .294 12 HR 25 RBI .371 OBP. Overall in 2007, he hit .297 36 HR 118 RBI .347 OBP between Single-A and Double-A.

My argument is that doesnt guarantee him anything with guys like Blalock, Metcalf and Whittleman also in the mix at 3B.

But he is convinced that Chris Davis will be a stud 3B or 1B and that nothing will keep him from being in Arlington sometime in 2008.
None Currently.

JoeyTTU01
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:48 pm

I really don't think we'll see him up in '08. I think Davis is a great young player with a lot of Dunn-like upside, but he will not be at 3B and will likely not get 1B either with the aforementioned possible situation you brought up with Salty at first. A lot of things would have to occur in his favor to see him in '08.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JoeyTTU01 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:06 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I really don't think we'll see him up in '08. I think Davis is a great young player with a lot of Dunn-like upside, but he will not be at 3B and will likely not get 1B either with the aforementioned possible situation you brought up with Salty at first. A lot of things would have to occur in his favor to see him in '08.

If he shows he can hit a full-year at Double-A or even Triple-A then who knows, but I think there are enough bodies in front him that deserve a look at 1B/DH like a Jason Botts that Davis could spend most of 2008 in the minors, he could get a look in Sept potentially.

The big debate was started in a dynasty league when a GM basically traded Chris Davis for Rajai Davis. The reason why he dealt Chris Davis is because he has Chad Tracy, Mark Reyonds, Travis Hanson, Travis Metcalf and Johnny Whittleman as options at 3B. He wanted to add a OF bat that could potentially start and R.Davis stole 22 bases last year. One of the GMs threw a fit and claimed it was highway robbery and that C.Davis was going to be this big stud and the trade was ridiclous.
None Currently.

JoeyTTU01
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:39 pm

I wouldn't know how to gauge a minor league trade as fair or unfair. These guys haven't played in the MLB so everything we know about them is pure speculation. Tough call.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Koby Schellenger » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:04 pm

I think Chris Davis will turn out to be a very nice big league player. I don't think he'll be a super-star or even an All-Star but I think he can fill a role for the Rangers in the future. His power is very nice and very real. The concern with him is strikeouts. I think that will really limit him. As far as where he plays, I think in 2008 he'll get a full season in the minors. At that point, I think it'll be time for the Rangers to evaluate their situation and in 2008-2009 off-season, Blalock may be on the move if they are convinced enough that Davis is the way to go.
** http://www.moundtalk.com ** MLB June Mock Draft ongoing.
Koby Schellenger
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RyanK » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:23 am

is this Chilis son?
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby JoeyTTU01 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:12 pm

RyanK wrote:is this Chilis son?

Doesnt appear so, Chris Davis is not african american.
None Currently.

JoeyTTU01
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Minor League & College Baseball