Brewers sign Jason Kendall, Brewcrew cries - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brewers sign Jason Kendall, Brewcrew cries

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brewers sign Jason Kendall, Brewcrew cries

Postby brewcrew4you » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:38 am

mlb.com wrote:MILWAUKEE -- The Brewers wanted a deal with free-agent catcher Jason Kendall before the start of the holiday weekend, and, pending a physical, they got one.
A day after trading away incumbent Johnny Estrada, the Brewers announced they had agreed in principle to terms with Kendall, a 33-year-old coming off an uncharacteristically poor offensive year with the A's and Cubs. It is a one-year pact that includes a vesting option for 2009 that will kick in should Kendall start 115 games.

The contract will not become official until Kendall passes a physical in the later part of next week, general manager Doug Melvin said.

"When I was [the GM] in Texas, I had Pudge Rodriguez for seven years," Melvin said. "Here, we've changed catchers a few times. This is a position that's very valuable, and sometimes you have to look for somebody every year."

Melvin wouldn't reveal any of the agreement's other financial components, probably because he wants to avoid any chance of a situation like the one that developed between Yorvit Torrealba, another free-agent catcher, and the Mets last week. Terms were reportedly set, but then the deal fell apart, and the Mets instead traded Tuesday for Estrada.

A representative from agent Arn Tellem's office said earlier Wednesday that there would be no comment on Kendall until there was something concrete to announce. Efforts to reach Tellem after the Brewers made their announcement Wednesday afternoon were unsuccessful.

Kendall hit .270 with a .362 on-base percentage for Chicago after a midseason trade from Oakland and finished the year with a .242 average, three homers and 41 RBIs in 137 games. The Brewers are banking that Kendall can perform closer to his career numbers, which include a .297 lifetime batting average and a .375 on-base percentage.

"He's the only catcher in baseball who has started 130 games a year over the last five years and one of only three last year," Melvin said. "His durability is big."

The Brewers also had received positive reports on Kendall's rapport with pitchers, an aspect of Estrada's game that was at least up for debate. Oakland bullpen coach Brad Fisher, a Madison, Wis., resident, called Melvin after news of the Brewers' interest leaked last week and offered an unsolicited endorsement of Kendall as a teammate and a worker.

"That is the type of thing we looked at," Melvin said.

Where Kendall bats in the Brewers lineup is up to manager Ned Yost, but he at least offers options. Kendall has batted in all nine slots throughout his career, but hit mostly near the bottom of the order for the A's and Cubs in 2007.

"He's a bat control guy who will probably take more pitches than Johnny," Melvin said.

The team also hopes Kendall is an upgrade behind the plate over Estrada, who apparently did not mesh with some uniformed personnel during his first and only year with the Brewers. Estrada ranked last in the Majors in throwing out potential basestealers at 13.1 percent. Kendall was not much better, ranking next-to-last among regulars with a 15.3 percent success rate according to STATS, Inc., which includes pitchers' pickoffs with catchers' caught stealing percentages.

The Associated Press reached Kendall at home in Southern California, but he declined to comment until the contract was finalized, saying only, "It's close."

When Kendall is added to Milwaukee's 40-man roster, he will join Mike Rivera and Eric Munson, who was claimed off waivers from the Astros soon after the season, and Lou Palmisano, who was added to the roster this week.

Still, Brewers brass will meet next week to decide whether to add another backup option.

"We're going to decide," said Melvin, who mentioned 2007 Brewers backup Damian Miller as an available option. Melvin said he has spoken to Miller's agent, and believes Miller wants to play in 2008.

brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Brewers sign Jason Kendall, Brewcrew cries

Postby The Cow » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:59 am

So do the Brewers lose a pick for signing Kendall? Because signing a guy like Kendall is not worth the lost pick. Not when you can wait and sign him without losing a pick. If they lose Kendall so what? The Tribe lost a pick last year for signing Roberto Hernandez, that was a bust.
If you are signing an impact FA then it is worth the loss of a pick, but to signa middle of the road guy and lose a pick is a waste.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ender » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:32 am

Kendall has earned more win shares than Estrada in 3 of the past 4 years and tied him last year. Kendall has been in the top 12 in C win shares in 3 of the past 4 years. I don't really see why they are crying unless half a year in Oakland is his new baseline. He isn't a great C but he is far from a bad one.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby Scooter1027 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:38 am

The Cow wrote:So do the Brewers lose a pick for signing Kendall? Because signing a guy like Kendall is not worth the lost pick. Not when you can wait and sign him without losing a pick. If they lose Kendall so what? The Tribe lost a pick last year for signing Roberto Hernandez, that was a bust.
If you are signing an impact FA then it is worth the loss of a pick, but to signa middle of the road guy and lose a pick is a waste.

The Cow

To be brief -- no. Under the new rules, the Cubs get a sandwich pick, but it does NOT come from the Brewers.

I view Estrada to Kendall as a lateral move. Estrada has a little more pop, Kendall has a little more speed and slightly better on base skills. Estrada is also quickly developing a reputation as a bad clubhouse guy. This will be 4 teams in 4 years for Johnny, and there's got to be a reason beyond performance for that.

Anyway, I don't like Kendall a whole lot, but there aren't that many catchers I like that much period, and the Brewers don't have anyone waiting in the minors to take over. Hopefully he can just show a little on base skill.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:39 am

pretty expected signing. who would you of rather had?

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby Third Day » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:13 am

It was quietly mentioned in the Milwaukee paper that there was friction between Maddox and Estrada. My hope though is that Ted Simmons makes a comeback. ;-D
He who knows not and knows not he knows not: he is a fool - shun him. He who knows not and knows he knows not: he is simple - teach him. He who knows and knows not he knows: he is asleep - wake him. He who knows and knows he knows: he is wise - follow him
Third Day
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 273)

Postby JTWood » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:10 am

This makes me :-b
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby BigLebowski » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:35 pm

I like the pickup. They don't lose a pick and they get a solid veteran catcher who will help their staff improve next season. I expect rebounds by Bush and Capuano partially due to the presence of Kendall.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 479)

Postby jake_harv88 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:09 pm

yeah i agree, i dont think its that bad of a move. Hes a vet. catcher that has great durability. If he can get that OBP closer to his career average I would say this is a great move....
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 33)

Postby acsguitar » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:14 pm

He's not that bad. yea he won't hit any homeruns but he gets on base and has legs
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers