I'm moving out of LA... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

I'm moving out of LA...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I'm moving out of LA...

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:42 am

...for Texas, specifically, Austin, Texas. Either Austin or the Bay Area. Seems like a certainty that within the next 6 months, I could be leaving for either.

The reason for it is because the last couple of months, a friend of mine who has relocated to Austin and I are planning on launching a startup and pretty much the decision on where to go (Austin or San Jose) depends on who's funding us. If our investors are based in Austin, we're likely to be located in Austin and the same holds true for Silicon Valley.

I've always thought the likelihood would be me relocating to Norcal, but I found out yesterday that my friend is giving first crack at the Austin-based investors because he likes it down there and the cost of living in Austin is dramatically less than up north. All investors like the idea and I think by the end of the month, we'll get a good picture of where we're going.

I guess I'm posting this because I know I've been gung-ho on going wherever we're setting shop, including Austin, and am frankly excited about it. However, thinking it over the last couple of days, I'm realizing this is a big step for me and I suppose I'm not sure what to expect, leaving friends and family and all. I probably should've gotten used to it seeing how I've spent a few summers in my childhood away from home and studying abroad in France, but this feels different and I don't know why, I suppose it's feeling like this is more permanent. If I moved to the Bay Area, I know I'd feel more relieved for some reason. I suppose it has to do with having family there too and that I'm at least I'm in my home state.

I know I'm going to Austin 110% if we're funded there and so I'm not going to have cold feet. My friend and a few others said I'd love Austin. However, I could use some tips/advice on moving like this, anything at all really.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I'm moving out of LA...

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:32 am

Just enjoy it.
I moved to Australia from New Zealand when I was 18 (in 2000) , with just a suitcase of stuff. ;-D
There's nothing scary about a move like this it's an adventure.
You can always go back for a holiday if you are homesick , and if you miss everyone just ring them. ;-D
It helps to do a little research into local goings-on , sport etc so you can be included in conversations.
I think Australian Rules Football is the height of gayness , but I can still converse about it :-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:42 pm

No, I can't say I find the situation scary as I've said before. I think I'm feeling a bit stressed because it's not like before where I know I'd spend a summer or a year away thousands of miles from home, this could be me staying for a longer haul. I have to start thinking about shopping for a new house and selling whatever I believe is just secondary (i.e. furniture, car) - basically, everything dealing with a transition. Then again, I could be overthinking.

I always hear that Austin feels like San Francisco in some respects but dead smack in a college town with bars dotting streets around campus and everyone is going to Longhorn games, but I don't think I can be persuaded to be a UT fan. :-b

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tuff_gong » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:58 pm

Going to school in Lawrence, KS, I have heard a lot that Lawrence is like a smaller Austin, Texas. If that is true, I think you will enjoy it because I love living here. Also, you have SXSW every year in Austin, which is awesome.

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:08 pm

I think your anxiety about the big move is completely normal AD. Anyone would be stressed about such a move, but don't get stressed about being stressed because it's completely within the realm of normalcy. Good luck and keep us posted. ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:23 pm

i would imagine that the style of living is 100 % different in texas than it would be in LA. the anxiety is definitely normal and you're right, it is way more permanent. but with today's technologies, as im sure you of all people know, will still keep you feeling close to home. good luck with everything, sounds awesome. congrats. ;-D

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:01 pm

tuff_gong wrote:Going to school in Lawrence, KS, I have heard a lot that Lawrence is like a smaller Austin, Texas. If that is true, I think you will enjoy it because I love living here. Also, you have SXSW every year in Austin, which is awesome.

Yeah, a few co-workers had gone to SXSW and they had a blast. I guess they're more into quirky indie punk acts though and I suppose I have to wonder where's the metal. Same goes for Austin City Limits.

I've heard from a few others I've talked to that if you're going to live anywhere in Texas, Austin is it...especially for someone like me who's used to the hustle and bustle of L.A. because there's plenty to do and a lot of interesting things to see. Only major differences is just that you can live the good life for cheap in Californian terms and that it's more laidback than here.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Return to General Talk