Fair Points Only League Settings WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Fair Points Only League Settings WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fair Points Only League Settings WHIR

Postby HollywoodHartman » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:22 pm

Hello fellow fantasy baseball enthusiasts.

I joined a points only league with some friends last year that was incredibly unbalanced. It gave no value to pitchers whatsoever. Because I figured this out I destroyed the league. Now my friend still wants to keep it a points only league, but he wants to even out the league to make it less exploitable. The problem is, neither of us know what settings a standard points only league would use. Any help would be much appreciated.
HollywoodHartman
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Fair Points Only League Settings WHIR

Postby converge241 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:16 pm

is there big resistance to roto? id always recomend that style of play (no offense to anyone who prefers points of course).
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 101)

Re: Fair Points Only League Settings WHIR

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:59 pm

The problem you are describing is horribly common among point leagues. The #1 reason this problem exists is because:

There is no such thing as a "standard" points league.

Theoretically speaking, a points league is better than any categorical league because points allow you to weight events appropriately whereas categories treat them all equally (e.g. - SB = HR). The problem is that most point-league owners get too worried about event weighting and don't think about the pitching-hitting balance (or lack thereof) that you described. If you have to pick between pitching-hitting balance or proper event weighting, always pick pitching-hitting balance. For that reason, practically speaking, categorical leagues are better because they force pitching-hitting balance on a league. They just do so at the expense of event weighting.

If you're willing to put in the time and effort to create a scoring system personalized to your league, shoot me a PM. I'm not kidding, though. It will take a good amount of work on the front end. Point scoring needs to be based on a quite a few factors with the two most important characteristics being the size of your league and the size and makeup of your starting lineups. If you want to go that route, I'll be glad to help.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Return to Commissioner's Corner