How do Keeper Leagues work? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

How do Keeper Leagues work?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How do Keeper Leagues work?

Postby rib217 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:13 pm

I am deciding if i want to start my own league next season. I've played three years and would like to comish my own league. I was wondering how the keeper thing works with yahoo leagues.

Do you as comish have to keep track of all the teams and their keepers via Excel and then set it up that way the following season or does yahoo keep your league alive in the offseason with the keepers you selected?
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How do Keeper Leagues work?

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:39 pm

There are many ways to manage a keeper league.

The problem with Yahoo! is that you won't be able to automatically keep players on their respective teams from one season to another. You would have to do it manually, which isn't too hard. The comish could keep track of the rosters during the off season and manually add they to each team once Yahoo! opens.

In case you are doing a Keeper League in which you keep, say, 5 players, you will need to have a draft. If you were to do a slow draft, I don't think you would run into too much trouble. You could host your draft here at the Cafe or open a Message Board for your league at a site like proboards.com. Being the comish, you could just add the players to the rosters once the draft is over and start the season. If you want to hold a live draft at Yahoo!, things can get a little tricky. Yahoo! will not allow you do add players to a roster and then have the draft, meaning that even the keepers would be part of the draft. You could ask each manager to pre-rank and put their keepers in first, in case they miss the draft.

I think opening up a Forum for your league is the way to go. It becomes a lot easier for people to keep track of the players and for the comish to communicate with the managers. Slow draft is also a good option in order to avoid complications.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:31 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:There are many ways to manage a keeper league.

The problem with Yahoo! is that you won't be able to automatically keep players on their respective teams from one season to another. You would have to do it manually, which isn't too hard. The comish could keep track of the rosters during the off season and manually add they to each team once Yahoo! opens.

In case you are doing a Keeper League in which you keep, say, 5 players, you will need to have a draft. If you were to do a slow draft, I don't think you would run into too much trouble. You could host your draft here at the Cafe or open a Message Board for your league at a site like proboards.com. Being the comish, you could just add the players to the rosters once the draft is over and start the season. If you want to hold a live draft at Yahoo!, things can get a little tricky. Yahoo! will not allow you do add players to a roster and then have the draft, meaning that even the keepers would be part of the draft. You could ask each manager to pre-rank and put their keepers in first, in case they miss the draft.

I think opening up a Forum for your league is the way to go. It becomes a lot easier for people to keep track of the players and for the comish to communicate with the managers. Slow draft is also a good option in order to avoid complications.

I will expand a little. It is obviously easier to do this in a slow draft or a live (in person) draft. I actually manage my keeper leagues via a free Yahoo Group. We also do a slow draft. You can create folders for different things like keepers, rules, rosters, etc. If you do a live (in person) draft, you can just have each team pick their keepers as their first X picks. If you do a live draft on Yahoo, it is tricky but can be done. The easiest way is to have each manager pre-rank their keepers 1-5 (when you keep 5) and have all of the other managers put everyone else's keepers on their exclude list. This works well but only if all of the managers do this in advance.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Roto_Hu$tler » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:28 pm

I run a Yahoo keeper league that holds 5 players over from the prior year. Yahoo has an option that lets you pre-select players and place them on each respective team’s roster. Everything stated above sounds logical and it is best to have each team pre-rank their # of players as a fall back. But the "Pre-select" feature is there for all Yahoo leagues.....

You just have to remember to set the draft order right to take into account Yahoo’s “Snake” drafts.
Roto_Hu$tler
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Commissioner's Corner