sicko - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

sicko

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: sicko

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:26 pm

RugbyD wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Yeah, I have no way of knowing if the statistics and studies were skewed in some way, but I believe the people I've spoken with. These weren't just middle-managers at some insurance or health care company, they were US Senators, presidents of health care providers, a former governor and physician, etc.

All you're missing are conflicting economists!

Also, I just realized how ridiculous-sounding my point was: "The people I've talked to aren't likely to manipulate statistics for their own gain, they're high ranking politicians and CEOs of major corporations."
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:55 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
RugbyD wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Yeah, I have no way of knowing if the statistics and studies were skewed in some way, but I believe the people I've spoken with. These weren't just middle-managers at some insurance or health care company, they were US Senators, presidents of health care providers, a former governor and physician, etc.

All you're missing are conflicting economists!

Also, I just realized how ridiculous-sounding my point was: "The people I've talked to aren't likely to manipulate statistics for their own gain, they're high ranking politicians and CEOs of major corporations."

I'm glad you said it, because I was thinking it.

I didn't really feel like looking like I was trying to antagonize you.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Madison » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:55 pm

Yoda wrote:You certainly have an excellent point as does Rugby and anyone else who view medical care as a privilege not a right.

I am just curious though if you would still believe that if someone close to you in your family is in a serious medical condition but couldn't afford treatment and something horrible happens.

I just think that minimum health care should be available somehow, somewhere and also allow the privileged to seek additional care if needed.

Yes, I would still believe it, and here's why. I was raised to not have to depend on anyone or anything else in order to survive in the world. No help, no handouts, no nothing. Nothing is given freely, you're not born with any special rights or privileges, and you're entitled to absolutely nothing. You want something? Go earn it. Be it respect, be it the ability to say what's on your mind, be it to go to a party, be it to just sit and watch television and be left alone. Go earn it, or do the things you need to do in order to earn it, because you're not entitled to anything just because of the soil on which you were born.

Unfortunately, no one in my family is without medical coverage other than me. My grandparents worked hard, saved money, and my grandfather is retired military on top of that, so they have no concerns there. Father was military too, so medical isn't an issue for him either. So the only example I could give is if something happened to me (let's say I was struck by lightning). In such a case, my savings account would pay out until it was belly up, and any bill beyond that point is something I would be responsible to pay in full - and I would. Simple as that. There's no "free handout", or "boo-hoo wittle Madison had some bad luck" crap that anyone owes me, the taxpayers don't owe me, the government doesn't owe me, it's up to me to pay for what expenses I incur, even if it's the result of bad luck or some fluky thing like being hit by lightning. If there were serious medical issues that ran in my family, then it would be my responsibility to pay through the nose to ensure I had adequate healthcare to combat that problem. If that meant working two jobs, so be it. If it meant 3 jobs, so be it. I do not live by the philosophy that I'm entitled to anything just because I was born on American soil and am an American. Anything I could possibly want or need in life can be earned (isn't that a big enough gift or "right" for anyone? it should be), it's just a matter of doing what it takes to earn it.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RugbyD » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:46 pm

Madison wrote:
Yoda wrote:You certainly have an excellent point as does Rugby and anyone else who view medical care as a privilege not a right.

I am just curious though if you would still believe that if someone close to you in your family is in a serious medical condition but couldn't afford treatment and something horrible happens.

I just think that minimum health care should be available somehow, somewhere and also allow the privileged to seek additional care if needed.

Yes, I would still believe it, and here's why. I was raised to not have to depend on anyone or anything else in order to survive in the world. No help, no handouts, no nothing. Nothing is given freely, you're not born with any special rights or privileges, and you're entitled to absolutely nothing. You want something? Go earn it. Be it respect, be it the ability to say what's on your mind, be it to go to a party, be it to just sit and watch television and be left alone. Go earn it, or do the things you need to do in order to earn it, because you're not entitled to anything just because of the soil on which you were born.

Unfortunately, no one in my family is without medical coverage other than me. My grandparents worked hard, saved money, and my grandfather is retired military on top of that, so they have no concerns there. Father was military too, so medical isn't an issue for him either. So the only example I could give is if something happened to me (let's say I was struck by lightning). In such a case, my savings account would pay out until it was belly up, and any bill beyond that point is something I would be responsible to pay in full - and I would. Simple as that. There's no "free handout", or "boo-hoo wittle Madison had some bad luck" crap that anyone owes me, the taxpayers don't owe me, the government doesn't owe me, it's up to me to pay for what expenses I incur, even if it's the result of bad luck or some fluky thing like being hit by lightning. If there were serious medical issues that ran in my family, then it would be my responsibility to pay through the nose to ensure I had adequate healthcare to combat that problem. If that meant working two jobs, so be it. If it meant 3 jobs, so be it. I do not live by the philosophy that I'm entitled to anything just because I was born on American soil and am an American. Anything I could possibly want or need in life can be earned (isn't that a big enough gift or "right" for anyone? it should be), it's just a matter of doing what it takes to earn it.

You are aware that catastrophic health insurance is pretty cheap, right?
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:16 pm

JTWood wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Also, I just realized how ridiculous-sounding my point was: "The people I've talked to aren't likely to manipulate statistics for their own gain, they're high ranking politicians and CEOs of major corporations."

I'm glad you said it, because I was thinking it.

I didn't really feel like looking like I was trying to antagonize you.

You really don't have to bite your tongue, or your finger-tips, as it were, with me. I wouldn't take anything personal. I didn't even realize how my previous statement would sound to someone else until I read it in the reply...I guess it's different when you actually get to engage those guys and criticize and ask them questions instead of just hearing soundbites on TV or reading their prepared statements.
Last edited by Art Vandelay on Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:48 pm

RugbyD wrote:You are aware that catastrophic health insurance is pretty cheap, right?

I'm willing to gamble I don't get hit by lightning, but thanks. :-D ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:41 am

Madison wrote:
RugbyD wrote:You are aware that catastrophic health insurance is pretty cheap, right?

So Mad, do you put away any money for health care specifically since you don't have insurance?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby IllinoisBandit » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:16 pm

I don't know Mad's age, but if you're a male under 30 and have had a good medical history not having health insurance is a reasonable and certainly acceptable decision IMO. I only have it because I'm in the biomedical field and it's required.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:58 pm

Yoda wrote:
Madison wrote:

So Mad, do you put away any money for health care specifically since you don't have insurance?

Specifically? No. However, I do have a savings account for whatever it's needed for, so the answer would be "kinda", as other than buying a house, I have no clue what I'd touch the money in my savings account for. Pretty much all of my bases are fully covered with health insurance being the one thing I don't shell the money out for.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Previous

Return to General Talk