College English Skills - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

College English Skills

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: College English Skills

Postby tuff_gong » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:17 pm

Coming from the public school system, this doesn't really surprise me at all.

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mugrila » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:30 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
Madison wrote:very little seems to actually be taught in school these days.

I have noticed this a lot with my younger sister that is a sophomore in high school. Ever since I graduated from the same high school, teachers keep retiring and getting replaced by easier teachers. I don't know this for truth as I don't have any kind of statistics, but there are more and more people on the honor roll list and headmaster's(dean's) list. I'd love to think that people are getting smarter and teaching better, but I know this isn't quite the case. The effect that this has had is that more kids from my high school are getting accepted into the top schools in Virginia(VT, UVA, W&M, JMU). My high school is a small private school (and by small I mean less than 500 kids PreK-12, there were 24 in my graduating class), it's not one of the fancy upper class private school. It's more of a way of avoiding the not very good public schools in the area.
Comparing our curriculum to the public schools, I always knew I was a lot smarter than people that had better grades at the public school. However, those school always got a lot more people into the best schools in Virginia. A personal example is that I did not get accepted into UVA because my GPA was 3.7, but I had a 1320 SAT score. Had I attended the public school, I have no doubt that I would've had a 4.0+ GPA, and easily gotten into UVA.
All of this leads me to believe that my high school has lowered its standards so that they can get more kids into the best schools, and it has worked. I don't know what the public school standards are in other states, but in Virginia it seems like they put it low enough that they can get the kids with no futures through the system without clogging it up, at the expense of lowering the overall value of the education for the smarter kids that need to be held to a higher level so they can learn more. The effect of the public school standards has carried over to the private schools so that they can compete with getting their kids into the best schools.

[/rant]

Seems we have nearly the same exact story- small private school, 3.7gpa, 1300's SAT. I guess the only difference is UVA doesn't have what I'm studying so I knew I would be coming to VT. (Or NC State, but VT was in-state which saves a lot of money)
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:57 pm

tuff_gong wrote:Coming from the public school system, this doesn't really surprise me at all.

It's not public school. It's families and friends. If your social network doesn't encourage, or even actively discourages, retention or application of what school teachings, what good are the schools?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:16 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
tuff_gong wrote:Coming from the public school system, this doesn't really surprise me at all.

It's not public school. It's families and friends. If your social network doesn't encourage, or even actively discourages, retention or application of what school teachings, what good are the schools?

That's exactly what it boils down to right there. Public schools are so incredibly easy for those kids whose parents care enough to work with them and too difficult for those whose parents have better things to do.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:

That's exactly what it boils down to right there. Public schools are so incredibly easy for those kids whose parents care enough to work with them and too difficult for those whose parents have better things to do.

This is what I was aiming at.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:13 pm

dclark0699 wrote:I am utterly amazed at the lack of grammar and spelling skills in college. What goes on in high school English classes? How do these people get into college?

For my screenwriting class, we traded our work today for a peer edit. Dear Lord.

One of the ones I had to read was currently 6 pages long and, I kid you not, I made 148 corrections or comments. None of them concerned story structure. All of them were spelling, grammar and general sentence structure.

I had basically the same issue with somebody else's paper a few weeks back. :-b
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 85)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:16 pm

You can trace a large portion of the lowering of standards across the board to the No Child Left Behind Act. I know that Regents standards are only done in NY and CA, but literally to the day, our curriculum are developed to cater to these exams, that there is literally no time for what I consider actual learning. No curtailing to those who are bored with the ease of the class, or catering to those who aren't quite up to snuff. There may be some teachers to blame, but believe me the vast majority of us are as if not more frustrated than the parents that our hands are bound so tightly yet we are judged on what % of our students pass this stupid test. And when the nation as a whole isn't passing at the rate they ought to be, well, we adjust our teaching methods then, right, and re-assess? Wrong! We just lower the standards! It's sickening, really, but it's out of the hands of the people who are actually teaching your children, provided they want to continue to collect a paycheck.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 820)

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:34 pm

bigh0rt wrote:You can trace a large portion of the lowering of standards across the board to the No Child Left Behind Act. I know that Regents standards are only done in NY and CA, but literally to the day, our curriculum are developed to cater to these exams, that there is literally no time for what I consider actual learning. No curtailing to those who are bored with the ease of the class, or catering to those who aren't quite up to snuff. There may be some teachers to blame, but believe me the vast majority of us are as if not more frustrated than the parents that our hands are bound so tightly yet we are judged on what % of our students pass this stupid test. And when the nation as a whole isn't passing at the rate they ought to be, well, we adjust our teaching methods then, right, and re-assess? Wrong! We just lower the standards! It's sickening, really, but it's out of the hands of the people who are actually teaching your children, provided they want to continue to collect a paycheck.

nice post. i know first hand that inner city public schools are practically unattendable if you actually want to learn.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Previous

Return to General Talk