MySpace Hoax Ends with Girl's Suicide - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

MySpace Hoax Ends with Girl's Suicide

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: MySpace Hoax Ends with Girl's Suicide

Postby JTWood » Thu May 07, 2009 7:34 am

Recommended sentence for Lori Drew: probation & $5,000 fine.
Prosecutors are asking for 3 years in prison.

Long link: http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/s ... enDocument

For some reason, the url tags were bombing out on that url... :-[
Last edited by JTWood on Thu May 07, 2009 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu May 07, 2009 8:12 am

I hope she gets the full 3 yrs, it's really just disturbing what she did to that child.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JTWood » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:01 pm

smh.com.au wrote:Lori Drew cleared of MySpace cyber-bullying

A US federal judge has tentatively thrown out the convictions of a Missouri mother for her role in a MySpace hoax directed at a 13-year-old girl neighbour who ended up committing suicide.

US District Judge George Wu said he was acquitting Lori Drew of misdemeanour counts of accessing computers without authorisation, but stressed the ruling was tentative until he issues it in writing. He noted the case of a judge who changed his mind after ruling.

Drew was convicted in November, but the judge said that if she is to be found guilty of illegally accessing computers, anyone who has ever violated the social networking site's terms of service would be guilty of a misdemeanour. That would be unconstitutional, he said.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:38 am

Wow... can't believe they didn't hit her with any wrongdoing at all. 8-o Amazing... 8-o

On another note, from that article:

Tina Meier said she is devoting her life to educating parents and teachers about potential threats to their children lurking in the internet.

Shame she didn't think about the possible consequences prior to allowing her underage and mentally unstable child to break the site's T&C's by having an account.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby JTWood » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:42 am

Madison wrote:Wow... can't believe they didn't hit her with any wrongdoing at all. 8-o Amazing... 8-o

Apparently, the only charge that the lady was convicted of was a misdemeanor involving breaking the site's T&C.

The judge is worried that punishing her for that will set a precedent that will end up being used against thousands of people, since most of us don't read T&C and have no idea if we're violating them most of the time. Also, personally, I don't understand how a company's T&C can result in a legal penalty. That's a private rule that should be enforced by litigation, not prison, right?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:51 am

JTWood wrote:
Madison wrote:Wow... can't believe they didn't hit her with any wrongdoing at all. 8-o Amazing... 8-o

Apparently, the only charge that the lady was convicted of was a misdemeanor involving breaking the site's T&C.

The judge is worried that punishing her for that will set a precedent that will end up being used against thousands of people, since most of us don't read T&C and have no idea if we're violating them most of the time. Also, personally, I don't understand how a company's T&C can result in a legal penalty. That's a private rule that should be enforced by litigation, not prison, right?

Yeah, I read the article and understand the judge's point of view. I just fail to see how we don't have any laws in place that would punish the lady. :-? A girl killed herself, and that lady was partially responsible for that. Yet we've got nothing in any laws to deal with her? No punishment at all for her part in it? Stuns me.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JTWood » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:37 am

Madison wrote:
JTWood wrote:

Yeah, I read the article and understand the judge's point of view. I just fail to see how we don't have any laws in place that would punish the lady. :-? A girl killed herself, and that lady was partially responsible for that. Yet we've got nothing in any laws to deal with her? No punishment at all for her part in it? Stuns me.

She was apparently charged with something along those lines and found innocent.

Jurors decided Drew was not guilty of the more serious felonies of intentionally causing emotional harm while accessing computers without authorization.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:01 am

intentionally causing emotional harm while accessing computers without authorization.

That's a very specific statute. Seems like it was created just for instances like this. If they couldn't use it to find her guilty, what on earth would someone have to do to be found guilty of that crime?
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:18 pm

First person to be charged with cyberbullying under Missouri law passed in response to the Megan Meier mySpace hoax/suicide.

(AP) A Missouri woman has been charged with cyberbullying for allegedly posting photos and personal information of a teenage girl on the "Casual Encounters" section of Craigslist after an Internet argument.

Prosecutors said 40-year-old Elizabeth A. Thrasher posted the 17-year-old's picture, e-mail address and cell phone number on the Web site in a posting that suggested the girl was seeking a sexual encounter.

St. Charles County Lt. Craig McGuire said Tuesday that the victim is the daughter of Thrasher's ex-husband's girlfriend. The girl, who has not been named, received lewd messages and photographs from men she didn't know and contacted police.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Madison » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:01 am

From the latest link:

If convicted of felony harassment, Thrasher could face up to four years in state prison, or up to a year in county jail, and a $5,000 fine, Banas said.

Not a strong enough punishment in my opinion. Can't they hit her with more since it's a kid/sex situation? Pedo?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Previous

Return to General Talk