MySpace Hoax Ends with Girl's Suicide - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

MySpace Hoax Ends with Girl's Suicide

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: MySpace Hoax Ends with Girl's Suicide

Postby Madison » Fri May 16, 2008 1:22 am

"The Internet is a world unto itself. People must know how far they can go before they must stop.


Agreed. ;-D

Tina Meier has acknowledged Megan was too young to have a MySpace account under the Web site's guidelines,


Hopefully they don't forget to throw the book at Tina as well.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: MySpace Hoax Ends with Girl's Suicide

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri May 16, 2008 5:00 pm

Madison wrote:
"The Internet is a world unto itself. People must know how far they can go before they must stop.


Agreed. ;-D

Tina Meier has acknowledged Megan was too young to have a MySpace account under the Web site's guidelines,


Hopefully they don't forget to throw the book at Tina as well.


throw the book at her? while i agree shes at fault as well, what kind of crime do you charge her with? and then do you find other children who are under the legal age for an account and throw the book at those parents as well?
Image

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16051
Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eternal Bliss

Re: MySpace Hoax Ends with Girl's Suicide

Postby bigh0rt » Fri May 16, 2008 5:16 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
Madison wrote:
"The Internet is a world unto itself. People must know how far they can go before they must stop.


Agreed. ;-D

Tina Meier has acknowledged Megan was too young to have a MySpace account under the Web site's guidelines,


Hopefully they don't forget to throw the book at Tina as well.


throw the book at her? while i agree shes at fault as well, what kind of crime do you charge her with? and then do you find other children who are under the legal age for an account and throw the book at those parents as well?

negligence.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24818
(Past Year: 326)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: MySpace Hoax Ends with Girl's Suicide

Postby Madison » Sat May 17, 2008 1:55 am

bigh0rt wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:throw the book at her? while i agree shes at fault as well, what kind of crime do you charge her with? and then do you find other children who are under the legal age for an account and throw the book at those parents as well?

negligence.


Willful neglect.
Not looking after the best interests of the child.
Fraud - (the girl was underage yet the mom let the age rule be broken anyway - you know, one of those "by creating this account I certify I am over 'x' years old" type of things - well, that's fraud.)
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

Simple fact is the website makes the rules, not the parents. This lady intentionally and knowingly broke the rules, admits it, and now should be punished. Heck, Myspace should sue her for all the bad press, but they won't do that because then they'll look like the bad guys, so Tina already got a break there. The law needs to be fair and punish her for her responsibility in all of this. I hate to say it, but if mom had followed the rules, her daughter would still be alive because none of this ever would have happened. So she certainly isn't innocent or free of any responsibility for the death of this child.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: MySpace Hoax Ends with Girl's Suicide

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat May 17, 2008 2:30 am

Snakes Gould wrote: and then do you find other children who are under the legal age for an account and throw the book at those parents as well?


im not being sarcastic here. im really asking :-D
Image

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16051
Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eternal Bliss

Re: MySpace Hoax Ends with Girl's Suicide

Postby Madison » Sat May 17, 2008 2:42 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote: and then do you find other children who are under the legal age for an account and throw the book at those parents as well?


im not being sarcastic here. im really asking :-D


Good question. I think hiring in a bunch of "officials" of some sort to check into every account isa far-fetched idea, so a tough one to answer really.

All I wanted to point out is that the mother has a solid percentage of the fault and blame for this tragedy, and I hope the law doesn't overlook that fact.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: MySpace Hoax Ends with Girl's Suicide

Postby TheRock » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:55 pm

Lori Drew found guilty on 3 misdemeanor counts, no felonies. Personally, I deplore this woman and what she did. Absolutely infantile. But I guess it's a good thing they didn't convict her of anything more serious than they did. Sounds like her neighbors have seen to it that she's adequately punished. ;-D

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gg5xCtQtLBF6vJqWXStItGEOsJfwD94MQ2UG0
Image
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3055
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 16 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: America's Heartland

Re: MySpace Hoax Ends with Girl's Suicide

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:20 pm

Not really enough, but I'm glad they did what they could.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: MySpace Hoax Ends with Girl's Suicide

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:22 pm

How the hell could the jury have "rejected felony charges of accessing a computer without authorization to inflict emotional distress"? Personally, this woman is so high on my list of assholes that she's in politician territory, right above Karl Rove and right below Paul Wolfowitz.
Image

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Posts: 8618
Joined: 4 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: we don't burn gasoline, we burn our dreams

Re: MySpace Hoax Ends with Girl's Suicide

Postby thedude » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:21 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:How the hell could the jury have "rejected felony charges of accessing a computer without authorization to inflict emotional distress"? Personally, this woman is so high on my list of assholes that she's in politician territory, right above Karl Rove and right below Paul Wolfowitz.


The parents probably have a pretty good civil case for intentional infliction of emotional distress.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 8413
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Good Life

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact