New Stadium? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Tampa Bay Rays

New Stadium?

Moderators: hayseed, Baseball Moderators

New Stadium?

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:38 pm

The Rays organization has confirmed that they have plans to build a new stadium where Al Lang Field is and want to open it by 2011. The cost would be $450 million with about $130 of it being paid for by money they would get for selling the Trop and Stu will put in personal money to get it down to about 60 mill for the city to chip in. It would be on the bay and is supposed to have less capacity, only around 35,000. They want to get a developer to develop shops and things around the stadium. It would be an open air stadium. Main problem is the plan is that there would be no parking at the stadium, people would be shuttled in or have to walk blocks to get there, unless they were able to buy Albert Whited Air field and turn it into a parking lot.

Here is what the Tampa Trib came up with. It would be awesome http://www.tbo.com/sports/special/raysstadium/
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: New Stadium?

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:06 pm

Sounds awesome, but they have to have parking no doubt about it. Might as well go ahead and figure the price of buying the Air Field into it.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:20 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:Sounds awesome, but they have to have parking no doubt about it. Might as well go ahead and figure the price of buying the Air Field into it.

Yea thats my thoughts. Don't know if you have been down there RUMP, but without parking it would be a pain and I would not want to be shuttled in. Their really is no parking down there.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RaysFan » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:47 pm

I heard about this, It would be awesome but the trops grown on me I guess =] I know its not a good stadium but, its our stadium... and the parking is awesome at the trop

you guys are right, there is no parking by Al Lang field so they would have to buy the air field as well.

It will be awesome if they get it done though, I've been wanting an open air stadium here ever since I became a fan so if this really does happen I think it'll be a great thing for the city, the players, the fans, and most importantly... me

Thanks to Alec03 for the awesome sig
RaysFan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:50 pm

RaysFan wrote:I heard about this, It would be awesome but the trops grown on me I guess =] I know its not a good stadium but, its our stadium... and the parking is awesome at the trop

you guys are right, there is no parking by Al Lang field so they would have to buy the air field as well.

It will be awesome if they get it done though, I've been wanting an open air stadium here ever since I became a fan so if this really does happen I think it'll be a great thing for the city, the players, the fans, and most importantly... me

I agree the Trop has grown on me, but this new stadium would bring in more money for the team and like you said man, its open air. Baseball was meant to be played outside
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jlm53089 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:41 pm

i still say they should make the stadium in tampa.
i know so many people who would go to the games if they were closer in tampa. and not a 45 min drive to st pete.

perfect spot, downtown, on the water, near the st pete times forum.

and i think retractable roof would be better then complete open.
but yea hell no to the dome.

EDIT: I saw the TBO stadium thing, and Al Lopez would be cheaper than Al Lang.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Return to Tampa Bay Rays