No superstar treatment at the DMV - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

No superstar treatment at the DMV

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

No superstar treatment at the DMV

Postby thedude » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:43 pm

BOSTON, MA — Describing the day as his “own personal nightmare” and the “worst morning of his life,” Kevin Garnett missed Tuesday’s practice after spending over four hours at a Boston area DMV trying to get a new and updated driver’s license.

“I woke up this morning and I thought, ‘Maybe I will just go grab my license today,” Garnett said. “Huge mistake. I thought it would be easy, but my God, it was awful.”

Garnett’s day of trouble started almost immediately. “I got there at 9 am, which is when it opened,” Garnett said. “But there were already people out the door. So by the time I got a ticket, I was ticket number 178. They were only on number 102, so I looked around for a book or magazine.”

Unfortunately for Garnett, DMVs in Boston no longer carry magazines or books, due to rampant theft. “I am not sure how they roll in the twin cities,” said Roger Marshall, spokesperson for the Massachusetts DMV. “But here in the Commonwealth, we don’t want our DMVs to be like modern-day barbershops. We don’t want people hanging around and talking all day. Get in, get out, you know?”

Garnett’s number was finally called at 10:37. “That’s when things really got crazy,” he said. First, they wouldn’t believe that I am 6′10″, like it says on my Minny license. So they wanted to measure me. Fine. But their little piece of tape on the wall only went up to like 6′6″ or something, so I waited there by the wall for like a half hour while they looked for a ruler.”

Once Garnett was properly measured, all he had to do was provide identification, be photographed and wait for his license.

“Seems simple enough,” he said. “But I made a big mistake. They said to bring a proof of address with me, so on my way out of the house, I grabbed my paystub. Anyway, when I gave it to them, instead of just looking at the address, they all looked to see how much money I made, and then they started calling over their co-workers. They kept saying, ‘Hey, LaShonda, check this out, this guy makes over a million and a half dollars every two weeks!’ And stuff like that. I tried to them that the Celtics only pay us once a month, so I really only make that much per month, but they weren’t listening. It was really annoying.”

Ultimately, Garnett had his paperwork approved, but when he went to pay his $24 fee, the credit card machine was broken. When Garnett began to complain, the teller simply pointed to an 8.5 by 11 piece of paper on the door, on which “Cash only today” had been hastily scrawled.

“Luckily, some nice young girl loaned me the twenty four bucks,” KG said. “After that I was pretty much done. I got my license picture taken, even though it cut off the top of my head in the picture, and then I got my license. Four hours and 15 minutes. What a day.”

All told, though, Garnett said the experience ended up being okay. “I mean, it took a long time, but it takes time to get good things, right?” he said. “My smile is a little funky though. I think they might have snapped the picture on two.”

We have all been there Kevin... :-b

http://www.serioussportsnewsnetwork.com ... -hell.html
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: No superstar treatment at the DMV

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:52 pm

I'm disappointed that this will reflect poorly on the good people of the New England area. They are very nice people and we shouldn't let a few bad apples ruin their perfectly good reputation. I feel bad for Garnett and the Celtics. Best of luck with the season Kevin.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Pacman » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:00 pm

I've held drivers licenses in two states... California (when I was in the Navy) and Massachusetts. I remember the Cali DMV being a zoo... amazingly long lines, painfully few employees working at the windows....

But Massachusetts is even worse than Cali was. While it's more organized than in the past, without the long lines, the places are still staffed by the most rude, ignorant, and self-entitled clowns you'll ever run into... They're all relatives or friends of some state-rep or another.... They can't be fired, and they know it... and they usually act disinterested, impatient and downright RUDE to customers. I do as much as I can ONLINE to avoid registry trips (renewing licenses and registrations, etc.) But in Garnett's case, to get a Mass license for the first time DOES require an in-person visit.

I waste a lot of energy here defending Boston and this region in general, but in this case, any negative attention this story brings to the Massachusetts RMV (registry of motor vehicles) is fine with me. I hope it leads to changes in the system... but I won't hold my breath...
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Pacman » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:02 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I'm disappointed that this will reflect poorly on the good people of the New England area. They are very nice people and we shouldn't let a few bad apples ruin their perfectly good reputation. I feel bad for Garnett and the Celtics. Best of luck with the season Kevin.

:-b :-b :-b
I love Mookie....
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby josebach » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:03 pm

Pacman wrote:I've held drivers licenses in two states... California (when I was in the Navy) and Massachusetts. I remember the Cali DMV being a zoo... amazingly long lines, painfully few employees working at the windows....

But Massachusetts is even worse than Cali was. While it's more organized than in the past, without the long lines, the places are still staffed by the most rude, ignorant, and self-entitled clowns you'll ever run into... They're all relatives or friends of some state-rep or another.... They can't be fired, and they know it... and they usually act disinterested, impatient and downright RUDE to customers. I do as much as I can ONLINE to avoid registry trips (renewing licenses and registrations, etc.) But in Garnett's case, to get a Mass license for the first time DOES require an in-person visit.

I waste a lot of energy here defending Boston and this region in general, but in this case, any negative attention this story brings to the Massachusetts RMV (registry of motor vehicles) is fine with me. I hope it leads to changes in the system... but I won't hold my breath...

Actually, it probably has more to do with how little money they make. It's hard to get good people when you don't pay them squat.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:10 pm

Pacman wrote:I remember the Cali DMV being a zoo... amazingly long lines, painfully few employees working at the windows....

You can make appointments and you are in/out in less than 30 minutes in Cali. Best DMV service by far. Guess you didn't know. :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:12 pm

This reminds me of a Dane Cook sketch about the DMW. Luckily I've only had to go twice. The first time I got right in and out, but the second time I had to wait for what seemed like forever, complete with a crying baby in the room.

Anyways, if he really wanted to get out of there quickly I'm sure he could have offered an autograph to anyone who switched numbers with him or something. I'd make that deal.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:19 pm

My favorite parts of the story are: that they didn't believe KG was 6-10...

that KG tried to explain that he made 1.5 million only once a month, not every two weeks...

And that Garnett had to beg some girl for the $24 to pay

However i am pretty sure that is a satire site.
Last edited by thedude on Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Pacman » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:20 pm

Yoda wrote:
Pacman wrote:I remember the Cali DMV being a zoo... amazingly long lines, painfully few employees working at the windows....

You can make appointments and you are in/out in less than 30 minutes in Cali. Best DMV service by far. Guess you didn't know. :-D

No no no.... I meant to say, I was in California way back in the 80s.... I was commenting on how things were back then... it was all lines... serious chaos... I'm not surprised they got their stuff together now.... Glad to hear it. ;-D
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Madison » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:27 pm

thedude wrote:that KG tried to explain that he made 1.5 million only once a month, not every two weeks...

Agreed. :-b Doesn't he have kids to feed? How in the world does he live on that and how should anyone expect him to? 8-o Heck, he didn't even have the $24 for the license! 8-o

:-b

Great story though, thanks for the laugh! :-D ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to General Talk