Minor League Keepers - Time Limit? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Minor League Keepers - Time Limit?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Minor League Keepers - Time Limit?

Postby dpdale » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:40 pm

I'm looking to add minor league keepers to my league and I was wondering if anyone had any pluses or minuses to limiting the number of years you can keep a player? How long? Also, what's a good size minors roster?

Thanks!
D.
dpdale
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Minor League Keepers - Time Limit?

Postby cheferic » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:44 pm

in our league we have a max of 7 minor leaguers.

if any minor leaguer has more the 50 innings or 150 at bats at the major league level then they must be either dropped of called up at the end of the year.

ericb
'we can rebuild them...we have the technology'
cheferic
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:57 pm

We do a 5-man system in my 14-teamer, but it really depends on the size of your league. Just remember that the deeper the system, the more knowledgable your owners should be. I'd say anything that puts more than 100 guys in your farm (7*14, 8*12,10*10) is getting ridiculously deep. The only time you want more than than that is in dynasty leagues where the minors literally feed the majors.

As for retention, it again depends on your league. If you have a straight keeper league with limits on the number of keepers, than the time in minors should be inversely related to the size of your keeper list. If you only keep 5 guys, then let them keep the minors players a little longer. If you keep 10, than minors players should be bumped pretty quickly.

My league uses contracts that go into effect when the owner promotes the player. To offset that "cost," we allow them to retain the player in their farm until that player begins a season as a non-rookie. At that point, the owner has until the end of that same season to promote that player.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby converge241 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:23 pm

id say anywhere in the 5-10 range works best for a roster size

Once they hit major league qualifiers (or any rough variance you want to do) I would make them have to make that roster adjustment the next year

Once interesting rule I have seen is that you also sometimes cannot call up the minor league guys during the current season. Example if someone had Braun they couldnt enjoy his 2007 but they woudl be excited for 08 obviously. The advantage is you still have the rights to him but it makes you make a tough decision about activating him for the year just in case.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 98)

Return to Commissioner's Corner