Colts Caught in a Milli Vanilli Moment? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Colts Caught in a Milli Vanilli Moment?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Colts Caught in a Milli Vanilli Moment?

Postby Pacman » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:40 pm

LINK
The NFL is looking into allegations that the Indianapolis Colts piped in noise during the game Sunday between the Colts and the Patriots. The charge comes after Patriots President Jonathan Kraft became the latest NFL team executive to accuse the Colts of the distracting tactic that is against the rules.

"We're aware of it and we're looking into it," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Monday. "It may just be the TV feed from CBS, but we're checking it out."

Observers at the game said there seemed to be a "skip" in the sound during the game Sunday, which the Patriots won 24-20. That might confirm the long-held suspicion among many people in the NFL that the Colts play loud crowd noise to help distract opponents when the other team is on offense.

Hmmmmm... "Bending the rules" by playing mega-amplified, pre-recorded crowd noise to gain an unfair advantage against an opponent while the opponent is on offense?????

Maybe the Patriots aren't the ONLY team participating in "gamesmanship"... NOW, let's see if the high-and-mighty Colts are dragged through the mud the same way the 'EVIL' Patriots were over cameragate.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Colts Caught in a Milli Vanilli Moment?

Postby slomo007 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:44 pm

Is extra crowd noise as bad as video taping defensive signals? I REALLY don't think so. The Vikings have been accused of this for years, and nothing ever comes out of it. Just the Patriots' poor excuse for trying to get the spotlight off of them and their shenanigans.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:54 pm

Should I merge this into the "96% of Boston Fans Don't Know They're Annoying" thread?

Heavens to Betsy, you won the game why are you bitchin? Upset that you didn't cover?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Yoda » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:55 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Should I merge this into the "96% of Boston Fans Don't Know They're Annoying" thread?

Heavens to Betsy, you won the game why are you bitchin? Upset that you didn't cover?

;-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pacman » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:17 pm

slomo007 wrote:Is extra crowd noise as bad as video taping defensive signals? I REALLY don't think so. The Vikings have been accused of this for years, and nothing ever comes out of it. Just the Patriots' poor excuse for trying to get the spotlight off of them and their shenanigans.

Directly impacting the opponents' offense (every team, not just NE) ability to call plays (and have the calls be heard) by deafening the offenses with this amplification of canned crowd noise, then turning it off when Payton is on the field?

Yes, slomo007. I'd say that's as bad if not WORSE than video taping defensive signals. It has a MORE DIRECT effect on the opponent.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Pacman » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:19 pm

slomo007 wrote:Is extra crowd noise as bad as video taping defensive signals? I REALLY don't think so. The Vikings have been accused of this for years, and nothing ever comes out of it. Just the Patriots' poor excuse for trying to get the spotlight off of them and their shenanigans.

Directly impacting the opponents' offense (every team, not just NE) ability to call plays (and have the calls be heard) by deafening the offenses with this amplification of canned crowd noise, then turning it off when Payton is on the field?

Yes, slomo007. I'd say that's as bad if not WORSE than video taping defensive signals. It has a MORE DIRECT effect on the opponent.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby slomo007 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:25 pm

Pacman wrote:

I'm not defending the actions the Colts have been accused of doing, but I just think the Patriots actions are far worse. Besides, the Patriots have been found guilty while the Colts have just been accused.

All I know is that if I were an opposing coach, I'd much rather have someone amplify some crowd noise than to steal my defensive signals. That's why silent counts were invented, btw. ;-)
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:25 pm

the nfl has now said the colts didnt do anything wrong...

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:26 pm

The NFL has come out and said this was a CBS issue, but either way, it was still amusing to see people say that if it was true, the Pats cheating was worse than the Colts cheating, when plenty of people have come out and said what the Pats did is a common practice (maybe not to the extent of video taping, but stealing signs) and has no direct impact on that game.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pacman » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:31 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:the nfl has now said the colts didnt do anything wrong...

Really? I don't see that anywhere. I saw, in the article I linked, that an NFL official speculated that it "could" have been just a CBS audio issue, but that it was being investigated.

If it's already been decided, I'd appreciate a link. I'd like to read that article, thanks.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to General Talk