Starting Pitchers... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

Starting Pitchers...

Starting Pitchers...

Postby Verminator » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:08 pm

I am about one year new to fantasy baseball... and am also in a career that looks at statistics extensively.

I brought this up in another section of this forum and thought I would bring it up here...

I know there are the "elite" SPs like Johan, Peavy, etc. But once you get outside of the Top 5... aren't the next 40 or so starting pitchers pretty much the same?

For example, Carlos Zambrano is a Top 10 SP while his teammate, Rich Hill, is projected around 40-50 but had better numbers last year and will be entering his third year as a starter in 2008. (Hill did have a lot fewer wins but also was among the league's worst in run support.)

I am in a keeper league and unless I have one of the Top 5 pitchers, I wouldn't bother keeping any other pitchers because there are plenty of other suitable replacements in the draft.

What are your thoughts, strategies, etc. when it comes to starting pitchers?
When it comes to exaggerating, I always give 110%.
Verminator
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Starting Pitchers...

Postby J35J » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:48 am

Yup, you're on the right track. I'll try to get one of those top 10 type SPers and then will wait for my #2 because, like you said, there are a good number of SPers who have similar value. The good thing about those next 30-40ish ranked pitchers is everyone will have them ranked differently so you could easily get 3 of your top 30 ranked SPs without reaching for any of them because 2 of those pitchers could easily be outside of other peoples top 30......this is 1 of many reasons why you see hitters get taken much earlier and more often than pitchers in drafts.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 387)

Postby Yoda » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:57 pm

I like to have at least 2 or 3 pitchers (SP/RP) with my top 10 picks. My plan of attack is to zig when everyone zags and zag when everyone zigs. Meaning, do not become a victim of any positional runs: i.e. closer.

Nowadays a lot of people put extra emphasis on hitting and then try to pick up bargain pitchers. So most power hitters tend to go a lot higher than top pitchers. Just make sure you are comfortable with your pitching since they account for half of your scoring totals.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BigLeagueFutures » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:55 am

I like to have 1-2 SP's I can "hang my hat on", but when all is equal I like to go with the hitter. This has to do with alot of factors, some which have already been mentioned such as SP depth outside the top 10 and the more likelyhood that a pitcher will get injured over a hitter. The main factor in any roster decision though should be the league rules, most of the leagues I am in favor hitters slightly therefore my roster will do so also. Good Luck to you and your quest for a championship (unless your in one of my leagues).
For Daily News On Prospects Visit -- http://bigleaguefutures.com/
BigLeagueFutures
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Beginner's Forum