Greatest players - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball History

Greatest players

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Greatest players

Postby mariposaskyman » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:09 pm

Agreed that the hitters list is more traditional in view. Some day we'll know better just what and who took the HGH/Steroid route and be able to judge them in context. I hate to see Bonds rated that highly too, considering what most think the case is with him. The pitchers are interesting, especially with the current or recent players so highly rated. Don't know, but maybe we think of the current players in worse light since their wins and other totals just can't compare to earlier eras due to the way they're used today. But should they be punished for that. If Randy Johnson or Greg Maddox pitched in Cy Young's era, wouldn't their totals near his. Maddux has rarely been hurt in his career. If he had been asked to pitched every 4th day instead of every 5th, he likely would have been able to do it, and those 350 wins closer to 420.
mariposaskyman
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Mon May 05, 2008 1:29 pm

I don't necessarily think that modern pitchers are judged unfairly against older generations due to their limited innings. At least amongst baseball fans/enthusiasts. Other than the typically nostalgia factor, pitchers tend to be judged more on how they compared to their competition, much more so than hitters are. At least with pitchers they have the benefit of the distinct transition in the game, when the gap is 200 IP vs 400 IP people don't expect modern pitchers to compare in many of the counting stats to previous pitchers.

It is a bit more difficult for people to have the same expectation gap with hitters, hitters today are getting 650 PA the same as they did in the 1920s, 1960s, and 1980s so it is easier to try and lump their production together and judged based on that.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Tavish » Mon May 05, 2008 2:04 pm

hwiggen wrote:That's a pretty interesting site. The top hitters careers is pretty close to my way of thinking. Mantle is rated more close to my way of thinking than what many others have posted here but I was suprised to see Mel Ott rated so high. And it's impossible for me, personally, not to take steroid/hgh use into account when having this discussion so Bonds at number two might be right on paper but not in my reality.

I think the rankings there pretty much reflect what most people have been saying in the thread. Based on their numbers in terms of production per year Mantle is behind only Ruth, Bonds, Williams, and Gehrig. The other players ahead of him get there based on longer careers. It sort of depends on what you value more.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby mission27 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:36 pm

WharfRat wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:I always wonder how much better Mantle could have been had he not torn up his knee. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Mantle was one of the fastest players in the game before he torn up his knee on that freaking drainage pipe. It also didn't help that Mantle was a huge alcoholic.

I've read that as well re: Mantle's speed. He was some kind of physically gifted. It's remarkable that between the freak injury and the abuse he rendered upon himself, he's still among the top ten (arguably) of all time. Just astounding.

He might have been the most talented player of all time. The guy still holds the record for the longest home run recorded despite players getting bigger and juiced up. He was also crazy fast and a gold glove type defender. If he hadn't gotten hurt he might be considered the greatest of all time.
mission27
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ra Ra » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:22 pm

C
Johnny Bench
1B
jimmie foxx
2B
nap lajoie
ss
honus wagner
3b
i forget
of
willie mays
of
babe ruth
of
ty cobb
dh
tedd williams

sp
christy matthewson
sp
sandy koufax
sp
bob gibson
sp
tom seaver
sp
roger clemens

rp
mo rivera
Ra Ra
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:01 am

I think that when Pujols' career is done, he'll make a serious challenge for #1 1B.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby mariposaskyman » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:57 am

I think you're right. Pujols, if he continues at this pace, will likely end up #2 at first base. When you see how the per year and per eq (equivalent) year factors weight out at http://baseballevaluation.com and the Stat Geek Baseball Best Ever Book, it really makes a case for Pujols. They've got more interesting stuff in the book, including best ever players by career for every team in history. Pujols is going to be making a run at Musial in St. Louis, already #2.
mariposaskyman
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby thedude » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:26 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:I think that when Pujols' career is done, he'll make a serious challenge for #1 1B.

Pujols won't surpass Foxx or Gehrig IMO.

"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Previous

Return to Baseball History