Get Ready For More "Da Vinci Code"-esque Debate - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Get Ready For More "Da Vinci Code"-esque Debate

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Get Ready For More "Da Vinci Code"-esque Debate

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:56 am

So this children's movie that's coming out, Philip Pullman's The Golden Compass, is apparently the first part of a trilogy designed to counter C.S. Lewis' Narnia trilogy. The author of this new trilogy is an outspoken atheist, claims to have no ability to understand the terms 'spirit' or 'spirituality', and has even gone so far as to say that the goal of his trilogy was "to kill God." While many say that his books are specifically anti-Catholic, others claim that he's more anti-religion or anti-authoritarian, but it won't matter now that the Catholic church has formally denounced the book and written their own book to expose what they feel are the subtle trappings of the trilogy. Specifically, they claim the books are designed to trap children and parents by starting off innocently with only a story about rising up against authority.

Spoiler to follow...

The supposed trap is that the second and third books begin to more viciously attack the church and Christianity with the ending of the third book revealing that the children are actually Adam and Eve just before they kill God.

FWIW, Snopes seems to believe that the books are anti-religious in nature.

So get ready for all of the Da Vinci Code debate, because here we go again.
Last edited by StlSluggers on Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Get Ready For More "Da Vinci Code"-esque Debate

Postby Madison » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:01 am

The author of this new trilogy is an outspoken atheist, claims to have no ability to understand the terms 'spirit' or 'spirituality',

Curious, but did he actually say that? Honestly asking, I have no clue. First I've heard of any of this.

If he did say it, then he's showing what an idiot he is. One does not have to agree with something in order to understand it, so I'm unimpressed already. Granted, if he didn't say that, then nevermind. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:04 am

Madison wrote:
The author of this new trilogy is an outspoken atheist, claims to have no ability to understand the terms 'spirit' or 'spirituality',

Curious, but did he actually say that? Honestly asking, I have no clue. First I've heard of any of this.

If he did say it, then he's showing what an idiot he is. One does not have to agree with something in order to understand it, so I'm unimpressed already. Granted, if he didn't say that, then nevermind. :-D

That Snopes link says he did say those things.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:19 am

From the Sydney Morning Herald...

"Adult readers, however, are drawn by two other qualities. The beauty of his writing... and the profundity of the philosophy that underpins the trilogy: essentially, the heretical notion that there was once a war in Heaven, and the wrong side won.

'That's not to say I disparage the religious impulse. I think the impulse is a critical part of the wonder and awe that human beings feel. What I am against is organised religion of the sort which persecutes people who don't believe. I'm against religious intolerance.'

Pullman, though, expected more. 'I've been surprised by how little criticism I've got. Harry Potter's been taking all the flak. I'm a great fan of J.K. Rowling, but the people - mainly from America's Bible Belt - who complain that Harry Potter promotes Satanism or witchcraft obviously haven't got enough in their lives. Meanwhile, I've been flying under the radar, saying things that are far more subversive than anything poor old Harry has said. My books are about killing God.'"

Ha... He's pissed that he hasn't got more bad publicity. Maybe I should ask to have this thread deleted. :-b
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:29 am

This is the first I've heard of these books or the author, but I agree with this sentiment 100%:
StlSluggers wrote:'That's not to say I disparage the religious impulse. I think the impulse is a critical part of the wonder and awe that human beings feel. What I am against is organised religion of the sort which persecutes people who don't believe. I'm against religious intolerance.'
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:32 am

StlSluggers wrote:Ha... He's pissed that he hasn't got more bad publicity. Maybe I should ask to have this thread deleted. :-b

Guy seems like he's not playing with a full deck, so why would people/media give that publicity? :-b

Thanks for the links and heads up. Will avoid. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:35 am

I've said before that I think that the DaVinci Code could be the worst book ever written. The entire book is one big cliche written on the principle that if one adjective is good why not 5? :-P The anti-Church undertone was IMO a briliant marketing move to sell a horrible book.

As for the Dark Materials series I loved the first book. When he concentrates on his characters and storytelling the book was terrific. In the second and third books where he tries to hammer home a message and it gets all spiritual and they go through multiple universes it gets unbelievable then tedious then it's just hard to finish. I was so glad to get to the end of the Amber Spyglass b/c I had gotten so disappointed with the story.

I don't specifically remember what it was about the story that pissed me off b/c it was a long time ago but it left me with the same feeling as the Pirates of the Carribean series. The first one was a very pleasant surprise and each subsequent installment in the series feels that it has to outdo the previous by being more outrageous and far-fetched. The author really got away from the characters and the story just got silly. I think that he was trying too hard to make religious connections that didn't come easily and I didn't care about and wasn't about to spend the energy to dechipher. It's a shame since it started off so well.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby Yoda » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:45 am

Mookie4ever wrote:I've said before that I think that the DaVinci Code could be the worst book ever written. The entire book is one big cliche written on the principle that if one adjective is good why not 5? :-P The anti-Church undertone was IMO a briliant marketing move to sell a horrible book.

Agreed. I read Angels and Demons which I found to be better but I predicted the ending half way through the book. I also predicted the villain in DaVinci. They were definitely entertaining but very poor literature indeed.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:59 am

Yoda wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:I've said before that I think that the DaVinci Code could be the worst book ever written. The entire book is one big cliche written on the principle that if one adjective is good why not 5? :-P The anti-Church undertone was IMO a briliant marketing move to sell a horrible book.

Agreed. I read Angels and Demons which I found to be better but I predicted the ending half way through the book. I also predicted the villain in DaVinci. They were definitely entertaining but very poor literature indeed.

Completely agree. I read the entire book in 2 days, but I can't say I was astounded by it. It really was like reading a movie.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:03 am

Eh. This was inevitable. There are enough legitimate gripes that people have against the church that something like this was bound to happen. It won’t be the last, that’s for sure.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to General Talk