LaRoche or Wieters: Position Need v. Higher Ceiling - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

LaRoche or Wieters: Position Need v. Higher Ceiling

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

LaRoche or Wieters: Position Need v. Higher Ceiling

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:46 pm

My standard 12 team Yahoo! roto keeper league has a shallow minor league system, 3 guys only, so only near immediate impact guys get spots (no Triunfels, Villalonas, etc.). I own Andy LaRoche as one of my 3 along with Rasmus and Antonelli because I don't have a 3b. Matt Wieters is a ridiculous talent that's available but I really don't need Wieters that badly because I have Mauer but he's been crushing the AFL and he seems poised to become a major stud so I've been mulling it. LaRoche is also a nice talent but he's also a complete gimp and even though he's extra ready after spending an additional year in the minors, who knows if he'll even get the chance to start.

My 2008 roster thus far is:

C-Mauer
1b-Teixeira
2b-B.J. Upton (Former minor leaguer, last round keeper)
OF-Berkman
OF-Chris Young (Former minor leaguer, last round keeper)
OF-Corey Hart

SP-Felix
SP-Cain
SP-Joba (Former minor leaguer, last round keeper)

Would it be worth punting LaRoche and getting Wieters? Other nice available hitting prospects include LaPorta, Jordan Schafer, Austin Jackson, Chris Davis, McCutchen, Neil Walker, Brandon Jones, and Beau Mills. None of those guys are really on my radar because my OF is already stacked and Davis/Walker don't seem like major upgrades over LaRoche and Mills can't possibly make it defensively as a MLB 3b. I'm a homer when it comes to Joe Mauer but at least Wieters could be a backup plan and then an upgrade/trading chip if he falls into place so he makes some more sense. Pedro Alvarez is currently ineligible so I plan on grabbing him right after he's drafted so that's also a factor.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: LaRoche or Wieters: Position Need v. Higher Ceiling

Postby auclairkeithbc » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:54 pm

if you want wieters, get rid of antonelli. he isn't as valuable as laroche or wieters.

help me out with mine?
viewtopic.php?t=316258
Last edited by auclairkeithbc on Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigken117 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:23 pm

auclairkeithbc wrote:if you want wieters, get rid of antonelli. he isn't as valuable as laroche or wieters.

Even if you don't think you need Wieters, you have to drop Antonelli for him. Worry about the logjam with him and Mauer when the time comes.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby DevilDriver » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:28 pm

I also would drop Antonelli for Wieters.
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:55 pm

Yeah, Antonelli is a goner now that Joe Torre will be managing the Dodgers instead of Grady Little. ;-D
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Wheelhouse » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:21 am

FYI - wieters is playing in the HWL not the AFL
Wheelhouse
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby rookies and cream » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:26 am

Antonelli is on the Padres, not the Dodgers.

While I agree to keep Wieters, Antonelli may have a shot to start next year at 2B now that the Pads waived Giles. Nevertheless, that wouldn't really help you since you already have Upton.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:07 am

Oh, I was referring to LaRoche when I said Joe Torre's managing the Dodgers. Either ARod goes there and LaRoche gets traded or the Dodgers lose out and I like LaRoche's chances at getting a full time gig at 3b more with Torre there over Little. I doubt the scenario of ARod signing with the Dodgers and LaRoche going to the OF because Pierre and Kemp aren't going anywhere and they already have Ethier and Young in LF. Considering that LaRoche can win gold gloves at 3b, he's bound to get dealt somewhere that needs a 3b.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Minor League & College Baseball