FEMA - Disaster Organization? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

FEMA - Disaster Organization?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

FEMA - Disaster Organization?

Postby Tavish » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:12 am

I really didn't think that FEMA could do anything to make their reputation any worse after Katrina. I completely under-estimated their utter ignorance. At some point you have to think that are the directors of the organization are not just idiots, they are idiots who have zero respect for the people they are supposed to serve.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-102507-femabriefing,1,272790.story

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: FEMA - Disaster Organization?

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:08 pm

I lost all respect for FEMA in the late 90s. During Hurricane Floyd in 99, part of the city I live in flooded pretty badly. My house did not flood, but is located near some homes that did flood. During the buyout, FEMA made me a offer to buy out my house so I could rebuild in another portion of the town that should not flood. They offered me right at $20,000(about a tenth of the homes value) for my house and the land that goes with it. :-o :-o Considering that the measly 20 grand would not even come close to paying off my mortgage or even buy me some land to build another house I turned it down. A few days later, I received a phone call from FEMA stating that they were going to turn off the power and water to my house to make me accept the offer. :-t When I again told them NO(plus a few other things), they decided that for me to turn down their "fair" offer, I would have to sign a paper stating that I had given up my rights to a buyout and if a flood were to ever happen again, I could in no way ask or expect FEMA to bail me out. %-6
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JTWood » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:15 pm

I saw a post on a message board once where a guy that I assumed was crazy said that FEMA was not supposed to save people. They were supposed to save gov't interests during a disaster. I'm wondering more and more if the guy wasn't actually on to something.

:-[
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Tavish » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:52 pm

An amazing part to me of the "fake news conference to inspire confidence in FEMA " ordeal is that the guy who is responsible for the act isn't going to be fired. He is in line for a promotion!

Philbin's last scheduled day at FEMA was Thursday. He has been named as the new head of public affairs at the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, ODNI spokeswoman Vanee Vines said.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby JTWood » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:13 pm

FEMA is a career track into intelligence???

:-S :-S :-S
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby theclefe » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:08 am

raiders_umpire wrote:When I again told them NO(plus a few other things), they decided that for me to turn down their "fair" offer, I would have to sign a paper stating that I had given up my rights to a buyout and if a flood were to ever happen again, I could in no way ask or expect FEMA to bail me out. %-6

Did you sign that paper?
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:36 am

raiders_umpire wrote:I lost all respect for FEMA in the late 90s. During Hurricane Floyd in 99, part of the city I live in flooded pretty badly. My house did not flood, but is located near some homes that did flood. During the buyout, FEMA made me a offer to buy out my house so I could rebuild in another portion of the town that should not flood. They offered me right at $20,000(about a tenth of the homes value) for my house and the land that goes with it. :-o :-o Considering that the measly 20 grand would not even come close to paying off my mortgage or even buy me some land to build another house I turned it down. A few days later, I received a phone call from FEMA stating that they were going to turn off the power and water to my house to make me accept the offer. :-t When I again told them NO(plus a few other things), they decided that for me to turn down their "fair" offer, I would have to sign a paper stating that I had given up my rights to a buyout and if a flood were to ever happen again, I could in no way ask or expect FEMA to bail me out. %-6

WOW 8-o

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JTWood » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:59 am

FEMA did the same thing to properties around here after the '93 flood.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigken117 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:54 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:I lost all respect for FEMA in the late 90s. During Hurricane Floyd in 99, part of the city I live in flooded pretty badly. My house did not flood, but is located near some homes that did flood. During the buyout, FEMA made me a offer to buy out my house so I could rebuild in another portion of the town that should not flood. They offered me right at $20,000(about a tenth of the homes value) for my house and the land that goes with it. :-o :-o Considering that the measly 20 grand would not even come close to paying off my mortgage or even buy me some land to build another house I turned it down. A few days later, I received a phone call from FEMA stating that they were going to turn off the power and water to my house to make me accept the offer. :-t When I again told them NO(plus a few other things), they decided that for me to turn down their "fair" offer, I would have to sign a paper stating that I had given up my rights to a buyout and if a flood were to ever happen again, I could in no way ask or expect FEMA to bail me out. %-6

Stick it to the man Brad :-D That's something else though, "if you don't help us now, we'll never help you again"...I hope your neighbors didn't cave into that intimidation either...

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:12 am

theclefe wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:When I again told them NO(plus a few other things), they decided that for me to turn down their "fair" offer, I would have to sign a paper stating that I had given up my rights to a buyout and if a flood were to ever happen again, I could in no way ask or expect FEMA to bail me out. %-6

Did you sign that paper?

Yea. They faxed a copy over to me later that day for me to sign. I signed it and faxed it back.

bigken117 wrote:I hope your neighbors didn't cave into that intimidation either...

I actually had two of the people that live in my subdivision take their offer with one of them being my next door neighbor(that land is going to come in handy for me though, because I have leased it from the county at the cost of $1 a year and am planning on putting a batting cage on it for my soon to be born little boy). Of course they were older couples, but they still had to lose alot of money by selling to FEMA instead of just outright selling. They were scared of global warming, rising waters, and other stuff so they bought what FEMA was selling them. I wish they could have just realized that when 3 tropical storms come in 3 weeks and dump almost 40 inches of rain, that there will be some flooding for sure when the river is only about 500 yards from your house.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk