100% of Lakers fans Don't Know They're Annoying - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

100% of Lakers fans Don't Know They're Annoying

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 96% of Boston Fans Don't Know They're Annoying

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:50 pm

mweir145 wrote:Lofunzo, Mookie is a Habs fan, and I'm sure he's not ashamed to admit it.

Nice how you sidestepped my question. Why do you need to make blanket stereotypes?? If you want people to take you seriously, why make them?? Here's a nice 1:

You Boston Celtics fans all crack me up.

So, because you frequent a forum (RealGM forums), you are now an expert of the Celtics fanbase?? Do you really think that only the core of fans visits that site??

Here is a doozy in response to Ken:

Some are, most aren't.

What makes you, a Raptors fan, an expert on the Celtic fans??

This is what finally made me respond:

I hate listening to Habs fans like Mookie, but he's right, that's exactly what the Celtics have become.

How does adding the Mookie comment add anything to what you were saying?? The Habs weren't mentioned at all in this discussion.

I am just asking why you feel the need to continually add blanket stereotypes in an apparent attempt to better your argument. You do this on a constant basis. I have seen numerous "You Yankee fans" comments from you as well. I don't get it. If you need to do that to make yourself feel better, go ahead. Just be man enough to admit it.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:26 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Lofunzo, Mookie is a Habs fan, and I'm sure he's not ashamed to admit it.

Nice how you sidestepped my question. Why do you need to make blanket stereotypes?? If you want people to take you seriously, why make them?? Here's a nice 1:

Bored today, Lofunzo? I'll humour you, I suppose.

So, because you frequent a forum (RealGM forums), you are now an expert of the Celtics fanbase?? Do you really think that only the core of fans visits that site??

I've watched the Celtics fanbase, both on that site and many others grow in leaps and bounds since KG was traded for. Many Celtics fans had either given up on their team by last year or were on the verge of doing so after losing the draft lottery. Not many would deny this if you asked a true one.

What makes you, a Raptors fan, an expert on the Celtic fans??

I don't consider myself an expert on them, but I see enough of them to recognize the trend of what's going on with their current fanbase.

How does adding the Mookie comment add anything to what you were saying?? The Habs weren't mentioned at all in this discussion.

Clearly you don't understand the Leafs-Habs fan dynamic, it's comparable to being Yankees/Red Sox fans. I don't like Habs fans, I was born to not like them, just as surely as Mookie doesn't like Leafs fans. It adds something to what I was saying because, although Mookie and I may not like each other for that reason (or at the very least, you would assume for that reason we are atleast prone to disagreement), we can each mutually see the truth of this situation. It was really basically a bit of humour, nothing more.

I am just asking why you feel the need to continually add blanket stereotypes in an apparent attempt to better your argument. You do this on a constant basis. I have seen numerous "You Yankee fans" comments from you as well. I don't get it. If you need to do that to make yourself feel better, go ahead. Just be man enough to admit it.

"You Yankees fans..." Yes, I suppose I did that...once. Back when every Yankee fan was defending that classless act in May. On the whole I usually tend to defend the Yankees, their organization, and what they are doing in New York, but I couldn't after that particular incident.

In certain situations (like that one and the one in this thread), the stereotypes seem to be appropriate to me. I found no Yankee fan that actually differed from the main view of their fan base 6 months ago, and finding a Celtics fan who is actually open to the possibility that their team could be a failure is just as difficult. The Bonds arguments, which I was a part of for years, contained people being labelled on both sides as Bonds haters and Bonds apologists.

So sure, I admit it. I am biased. I also label people occasionally, and that obviously leaves me open to be wrong about someone. Just like anybody else here.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby bigken117 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:44 pm

I feel no need to defend myself as a lifelong Celtic fan considering the source. But at least there's something being said in here Yankee fans and Red Sox fans can come to an agreement on ;-7

I never said the C's are built for the long haul (in fact I know it's quite the opposite and I didn't have to join RealGM to learn it)
I never said the C's will win the title (any contender from the East will get waxed by the West represenative)
I never even said the C's would win the East this season (it's wide open for a few teams)
All I said is they will win more games than the Raps, and I am willing to make a bet with a respectable Raptor fan on it.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)

Postby thedude » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:57 am

bigken117 wrote:

I never said the C's are built for the long haul (in fact I know it's quite the opposite and I didn't have to join RealGM to learn it)
I never said the C's will win the title (any contender from the East will get waxed by the West represenative)
I never even said the C's would win the East this season (it's wide open for a few teams)
All I said is they will win more games than the Raps, and I am willing to make a bet with a respectable Raptor fan on it.

;-D My feelings exactly.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:02 am

Jonathan Papelbon

playing air guitar

on a broom

very cool
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:37 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Image

Jonathan Papelbon

playing air guitar

on a broom

very cool

Make it 97%. :-P
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Pacman » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:52 am

StlSluggers wrote:

Jonathan Papelbon

playing air guitar

on a broom

very cool

Sorry it bothers you so much, StlSluggers...

To a man, the Sox players will tell you Paps is not the sharpest tool in the shed...

... but man, can he pitch. ;-D

Honestly, with all the anger over Boston/New England teams/players/fans either scoring too many points, or celebrating too loudly, all I can say is, I hope YOUR city/favorite team(s) have a similar run one day soon, and I hope for your sake, the rest of the country lets you do it in peace, and doesn't try to make you apologize for being happy.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:12 pm

I have never once bemoaned the Red Sox winning the Series, and St. Louis has had this sort of run. We had a time earlier this decade when the Rams were perrenial post-season power houses, the Cards were mowing down the NL Central, and Blues were still in the playoffs every year. Granted, it's not the same as multiple championships, but many cities don't even have multiple contenders.

All I keep saying is that I don't like Papelbon. The article in this post... Well... I just thought it was funny. :-b
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:19 pm

Pacman wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:

Jonathan Papelbon

playing air guitar

on a broom

very cool

Sorry it bothers you so much, StlSluggers...

To a man, the Sox players will tell you Paps is not the sharpest tool in the shed...

... but man, can he pitch. ;-D

Honestly, with all the anger over Boston/New England teams/players/fans either scoring too many points, or celebrating too loudly, all I can say is, I hope YOUR city/favorite team(s) have a similar run one day soon, and I hope for your sake, the rest of the country lets you do it in peace, and doesn't try to make you apologize for being happy.

Papelbon (Paps to the cool people) is the epitome of cool while at the same time still managing to stay classy ;-D

And Paps has nothing to be ashamed of if he is the stupid one out of that group of scholars.

StlSluggers is just a hater.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:49 pm

Pacman wrote:Honestly, with all the anger over Boston/New England teams/players/fans either scoring too many points, or celebrating too loudly, all I can say is, I hope YOUR city/favorite team(s) have a similar run one day soon, and I hope for your sake, the rest of the country lets you do it in peace, and doesn't try to make you apologize for being happy.

I don't know if you or other Boston sports fans are used to this, but it's human nature for everyone else to be angry, envious even, of Boston's collective sports success. Personally, I remember that it wasn't long ago where even in France you'd get plenty of flak for wearing a LAKERS jersey. As an Angeleno, I remember when L.A. was and is still hated as a sports town, even though it tends to transcend sports as well. I'm certainly used to it. This decade has been good to L.A. sports fans despite the obvious lows (i.e. Shaq being traded, McCourt buying Dodgers). We've celebrated a Lakers 3-peat, UCLA had been to two straight Final Fours, USC has won a couple of national football titles, the Dodgers had a couple of playoff appearances with its own Kirk Gibson moment (Steve Finley 2004), and even the L.A. Kings were one game away from the Western Conf. finals a few years back. Of course, our neighbors in the south have had the Angels and Ducks to hoot about (World Series 2002, Stanley Cup 2007). Of course, there was a time when the Lakers and Dodgers had terrific success that ran hand in hand with USC football and UCLA basketball having their own share of glory.

So, no, I'm not all that peeved about the Red Sox winning the WS but I will say I do have schadenfreude of Boston teams in general. This roots back to the Lakers and Celtics rivalry in the 60's-80's, especially when it was such an epic in the 80's. Yes, there are still Laker fans who loathe the Celtics to this day, myself included. It doesn't help things when your local baseball team is owned by a cheapskate Bostonian. :-b
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 660)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk