Getting HD Over the Air - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Getting HD Over the Air

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Getting HD Over the Air

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:54 pm

slomo007 wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:I'll save you my list of accomplishments since I've moved in. Let's just say that this job would be a walk in park compared to the three lighting jobs I did in my house. I would actually welcome work this easy.

Thanks for all the recommendations. My wife will think this is stupid, but sports in HD are sooooo freakin' sweet. :-L

I've never been brave enough to screw with electrical projects before but I have no problems running coax cable...you're right it's simple.

As for the size, that picture is kind of deceiving...it's about 3 ft x 3 ft. Once you start watching sports in HD you will want to stop watching standard definition channels altogether.

I don't mess with electrical projects, either. I am quite handy and have tackled tons of stuff but I don't mess with electricity. I actually have to bring someone in to disconnect my medicine cabinet because it actually has a light fixture built in.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:56 pm

Oh... One more question. Those bearings... The site says, "Please note that 'Compass Orientation' is referenced to magnetic North."

So 120 degrees would be to the SW, right? I ask because I live NW of downtown St. Louis. I was expecting a SE orientation.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby slomo007 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:59 pm

StlSluggers wrote:Oh... One more question. Those bearings... The site says, "Please note that 'Compass Orientation' is referenced to magnetic North."

So 120 degrees would be to the SW, right? I ask because I live NW of downtown St. Louis. I was expecting a SE orientation.

Think of it like a circle with 0 at the N marking, 90 at the E, 180 at the S, and 270 at the W. That would make 120 exactly SE. But if you get the 2nd antenna I mentioned I'd be surprised if you have to get the compass out. Just get it up there and aim it in the general direction and I'm guessing you'll be fine. That's a bit much for the antenna you need, but trust me when I say that it's better to have too much than not enough. I've been through about 3 antennas (1 indoor, 2 outdoor) and finally learned my lesson to overbuy and not trust the ranges that the antenna manufacturers advertise.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:02 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
slomo007 wrote:I've never been brave enough to screw with electrical projects before but I have no problems running coax cable...you're right it's simple.

I don't mess with electrical projects, either. I am quite handy and have tackled tons of stuff but I don't mess with electricity. I actually have to bring someone in to disconnect my medicine cabinet because it actually has a light fixture built in.

In my last house, I put in 10 canned lights in my basement. In this house, I ripped out a row of kitchen ceiling cabinets, put in drop-down lighting, drywalled, and then retextured. In the basement, I put lighting over the bar. That portion of the basement is finished with a dry wall ceiling, so I had to go through two rafter beams just to get power to the area where I put the lighting. That meant patching and retexturing 4 holes total.

Those two projects in this house took a combined 2 weeks, though. The kitchen patch was about 30" x 75". %-6
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:03 pm

slomo007 wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:Oh... One more question. Those bearings... The site says, "Please note that 'Compass Orientation' is referenced to magnetic North."

Think of it like a circle with 0 at the N marking, 90 at the E, 180 at the S, and 270 at the W. That would make 120 exactly SE. But if you get the 2nd antenna I mentioned I'd be surprised if you have to get the compass out. Just get it up there and aim it in the general direction and I'm guessing you'll be fine. That's a bit much for the antenna you need, but trust me when I say that it's better to have too much than not enough. I've been through about 3 antennas (1 indoor, 2 outdoor) and finally learned my lesson to overbuy and not trust the ranges that the antenna manufacturers advertise.

Duh... I'm an idiot. There are 360 degrees in a circle. :-B
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby slomo007 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:08 pm

Yep.

Good luck with the project, let me know the results when you're done.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Previous

Return to General Talk