Colbert Is Running For Prez! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Colbert Is Running For Prez!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Colbert Is Running For Prez!

Postby Coppermine » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:11 pm

You guys do realize that he's not really running for president?

If so, you're missing the point of The Colbert Report altogether.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby IllinoisBandit » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:46 pm

He's trying to sell his book people.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ThatDude » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:08 am

Coppermine wrote:You guys do realize that he's not really running for president?

If so, you're missing the point of The Colbert Report altogether.

Of course.

But that still doesn't stop me from asking the question : Great President, or the Greatest President?
Sometimes it takes a crazy person to see the truth. If so, I'm a freaking lunatic.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby theclefe » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:35 am

StlSluggers wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Unfortunately, there's no chance that he officially joins the race...not unless Comedy Central wants to give half hour blocks of programming to every other candidate, or cancel the Colbert Report.

Very good point.

This isn't a bad idea. I wonder how many Candidates would take them up if they offered.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby 5 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:47 am

IllinoisBandit wrote:He's trying to sell his book people.

Saw this on Drudge...

FLASH: COLBERT TOPS BOOK SALES WITH 91,122 SOLD IN OPENING WEEK
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dclark0699 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:13 pm

If he does run....and win....he would do just as well as any other guy. And if nothing else, it might be an interesting change. I'd vote for him. What's it really going to hurt?

As far as Comedy Central giving a half hour block to every other candidate thing.... Is there some legal reasoning to this? I'm not up on politics, but what would wrong with him having a show? Ross Perot bought air time...why can't Steven Colbert use the time he already has?
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:59 am

dclark0699 wrote:As far as Comedy Central giving a half hour block to every other candidate thing.... Is there some legal reasoning to this? I'm not up on politics, but what would wrong with him having a show? Ross Perot bought air time...why can't Steven Colbert use the time he already has?

Without getting into all the legal mumbo-jumbo, what the law essentially says is that if a broadcast or cable company gives air-time to a candidate for elected office, they have to offer equal air-time to anyone else running for that office who requests it. There are a few exceptions, but The Colbert Report would not fit the criteria for any of them.

The difference between this and what Perot did is that stations are allowed to sell air-time to any candidate, but they have to offer the same air-time for the same amount of money to the other candidates. I don't remember the details of Perot's campaign very well, but knowing how much money he had, he probably just spent more than the other candidtates were willing to spend.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby CheeseBeger » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:28 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
dclark0699 wrote:As far as Comedy Central giving a half hour block to every other candidate thing.... Is there some legal reasoning to this? I'm not up on politics, but what would wrong with him having a show? Ross Perot bought air time...why can't Steven Colbert use the time he already has?

Without getting into all the legal mumbo-jumbo, what the law essentially says is that if a broadcast or cable company gives air-time to a candidate for elected office, they have to offer equal air-time to anyone else running for that office who requests it. There are a few exceptions, but The Colbert Report would not fit the criteria for any of them.

The difference between this and what Perot did is that stations are allowed to sell air-time to any candidate, but they have to offer the same air-time for the same amount of money to the other candidates. I don't remember the details of Perot's campaign very well, but knowing how much money he had, he probably just spent more than the other candidtates were willing to spend.

The problem is that Colbert is not buying time, Comedy Central pays him a large salary and pays for the production of The Colbert Report which would undoubtedly be used to push his candidacy . So technically he is getting contributions from Viacom, and it is illegal to receive money from a corporation for federal elections. These violations have criminal penalties. :,-(
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:35 pm

CheeseBeger wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:

The problem is that Colbert is not buying time, Comedy Central pays him a large salary and pays for the production of The Colbert Report which would undoubtedly be used to push his candidacy . So technically he is getting contributions from Viacom, and it is illegal to receive money from a corporation for federal elections. These violations have criminal penalties. :,-(

Would you consider getting paid to do your job as a contribution though? I wouldn't.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby CheeseBeger » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:43 pm

Doesn't really matter how I feel about it, it is the same under law apparently.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk