Return to General Talk

Colbert Is Running For Prez!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Colbert Is Running For Prez!

Postby statsman88 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:59 am

I guess he's officially doing it:

Colbert announces presidential pursuit
By JAKE COYLE, AP Entertainment Writer Today at 4:51 am

Stephen Colbert announced his candidacy for president on "The Colbert Report," tossing his satirical hat into the ring of an already crowded race.

"I shall seek the office of the President of the United States," announced Colbert on his Comedy Central show Tuesday, as red, white and blue balloons fell around him.

Colbert had recently satirized the coyness of would-be presidential candidates by refusing to disclose whether he would seek the country's highest office -- a refusal that often came without any prompting.

Shortly before making the announcement, Colbert appeared on "The Daily Show" (the show which spawned Colbert's spin-off) and played cagy, claiming he was only ready to consider a White House bid. He entered the studio set pulled by a bicycle pedaled by Uncle Sam and quickly pulled out a bale of hay and a bottle of beer to show that he was "an Average Joe."

Colbert said his final decision would be announced on a "more prestigious show," which turned out to be his own.

"After nearly 15 minutes of soul-searching, I have heard the call," said Colbert.

His recent best-seller, "I Am American (And So Can You!)" allowed him to mock the now-standard approach to a White House run, complete with a high-profile book tour.

Colbert said he planned to run in South Carolina, "and South Carolina alone." The state, one of the key early primaries, is also Colbert's native state. Earlier this week, South Carolina public television station ETV invited Colbert to announce his candidacy on its air.

Exactly how far the mock conservative pundit planned to stretch his impression of a presidential candidate wasn't clear. Colbert rarely breaks character on camera, including at his memorable speech at the White House Correspondents' Association Dinner last year.

The Comedy Central host has often mobilized his fans ("Colbert Nation"), encouraging them to vote to have a Hungarian bridge named after him, for example, or to vandalize Wikipedia.com with his version of "truthiness" and "wikiality."

The comedian said he would run as both a Democrat and Republican. He earlier explained the strategy: "I can lose twice." He claimed three running mate possibilities: Colbert-Huckabee, Colbert-Putin or Colbert-Colbert.

Minutes after announcing his presidential pursuit, Colbert welcomed CBS political analyst Jeff Greenfield to ask how he had changed the race.

"This is going to be one for the books," said Greenfield.

A spokesman for Colbert said he would be unavailable for further comment Tuesday evening.

In a guest column for Maureen Dowd in Sunday's New York Times, Colbert wrote: "I am not ready to announce yet -- even though it's clear that the voters are desperate for a white, male, middle-aged, Jesus-trumpeting alternative."

http://tv.yahoo.com/show/38498/news/urn ... __ER:42717
"Let's Keep The Friendly Confines Friendly" - Ernie Banks
statsman88
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Colbert Is Running For Prez!

Postby ThatDude » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:08 am

I don't live in South Carolina, but I was planning on writing him in on my ballot even before this announcement.

Sometimes it takes a crazy person to see the truth. If so, I'm a freaking lunatic.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:19 am

Sounds like a great chance for some extraordinary, free publicity.

Smart man.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:44 am

StlSluggers wrote:Sounds like a great chance for some extraordinary, free publicity.

Smart man.

You know what is really funny? People are up in arms and highly offended that Echo would deface the Bonds HR ball with an asterisk and mock this historically significant memento. However, Colbert running for the highest office in the land as an attention seeking prank is going to get nothing but laughs and applause. :-b
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Tavish » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:14 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:However, Colbert running for the highest office in the land as an attention seeking prank is going to get nothing but laughs and applause. :-b

I think you can replace Colbert in this sentence with basically every nominee and it would have the same meaning.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:37 pm

Tavish wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:However, Colbert running for the highest office in the land as an attention seeking prank is going to get nothing but laughs and applause. :-b

I think you can replace Colbert in this sentence with basically every nominee and it would have the same meaning.

If you replace Colbert with a candidate, you can also replace laughs and applause with nausea and disgust.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby 5 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:44 pm

funny guy

at least he makes people laugh...instead of making people laugh at him
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CheeseBeger » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:00 pm

Awesome, apparently he announced it on Larry King also! ;-D

Our next President of the USA

2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:19 pm

I'd love to see this actually come to fruition if for the debates alone. It would be pretty darn funny watching him make fools out of the other candidates while in character.

Unfortunately, there's no chance that he officially joins the race...not unless Comedy Central wants to give half hour blocks of programming to every other candidate, or cancel the Colbert Report.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:22 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:Unfortunately, there's no chance that he officially joins the race...not unless Comedy Central wants to give half hour blocks of programming to every other candidate, or cancel the Colbert Report.

Very good point.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk