Is Salty a Top 10 catcher next year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Salty a Top 10 catcher next year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Salty a Top 10 catcher next year?

Postby rookies and cream » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:24 pm

While we're doing rankings...

1. VMart
2. Martin
3. Mauer
4. McCann
5. Posada
6. Johjima
7. IRod
8. Salty?
9. Molina
10. Varitek/R. Hernandez/Soto?
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Salty a Top 10 catcher next year?

Postby jake_harv88 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:42 pm

I dont see how you could not rank salty in the top 10. Personally when i target catchers I look for guys I can get real late that have some good upside. Yeah you can go for the Irods and molinas of the world, but with those guys you know exactly what you are going to get. Id much rather take a guy like salty who still has some decent upside that makes you excited about your catcher position. This year it was martin, last year it was mccann, the year before ramon hernandez had a decent year.

Off the top of my head heres my catcher list:

Vmart - always been there, dont mess with perfection
martin - absolutely fantastic season, hope the dodgers dont run him into the ground again
Mauer - overrated in my eyes, but hes consistent and you cant argue with that
McCann - honestly his season this year wasn't off that much from last year, and he'll be had for much cheaper this year i think
Posada - this position depends on what team he plays for next year
Salty - gotta like the upside
Johjima - quietly one of the more productive catchers out there
Hernandez - I personally like the orioles lineup, and he has the ability to bat close to .300
IROD - this guy wont hurt you
Paulino - I had big dreams for this guy this year, well there always next year
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby Grounded Polo » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:50 pm

3 home runs and 17 RBIs in the second half doesn't allow Pudge to sniff the top 10. I'd rather roll the dice on Salty than draft Johjima and probably Molina because after the clear cut top 5, you might as see if guys like Soto and Salty pan out over taking guys like Pudge and Varitek because no one else can significantly help your team more than just playing them because you're forced to.

1. Martinez
2. Martin
3. Mauer
4. McCann
5. Posada
6. Johjima
7. Molina
8. Salty
9. Soto
10. Navarro (Nice second half)

Johjima and Molina are the two veteran catchers that should be safe bets to produce, regardless of how non-valuable their numbers are, and after that, it's all about going for upside guys like 8-10, Towles, and hopefully Clement gains C eligibility. Personally, I have no plans to draft either of the veteran guys if I don't get a top 5 catcher.

If you don't get a top 5 catcher, just wait until its garbage time and grab a young catcher and hope he isn't a burden on your roster like most catchers are.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby great gretzky » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:46 am

top 10 is a weird designation for me.

I know many swear by the virtues of the deeper leagues, but honestly I like a 10-12 team league. And being top 10 isn't some big coup in those formats. If you are a C, being top 10 means you are starting in a league like that. It ain't some big shakes, because if you aren't top 5, you are below average--by definition, as the rare player rosters two Catchers.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby J35J » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:54 pm

My top 10 catchers (at this point)

1. Vic
2. Martin
3. McCann
4. Mauer
5. Posada
6. Salty
7. Johima
8. Hernandez
9. Pudge
10. Molina
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Yoda » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:01 pm

J35J wrote:My top 10 catchers (at this point)

1. Vic
2. Martin
3. McCann
4. Mauer
5. Posada
6. Salty
7. Johima
8. Hernandez
9. Pudge
10. Molina

I might sneak in Doumit in top 10 if the stupid Pirates ever allow him to play everyday! He could play multiple positions just like Salty.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Field » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:14 pm

I think fantasy owners who draft Martin next year are going to be somewhat disappointed with the results. He probably deserves to be ranked second going into '08, but I would not pay the price to get him at that spot. In the end, he only ranked 72 overall according to Yahoo after his fantastic season. Most of his value lies in stolen bases, and if you look at his second half you will see that he only stole 5 while getting caught six times. I'm not saying he's going to be a bust, although I would temper expectations. There is no reason to take him in the top 5 rounds which is probably what it's going to cost. (He went 30th overall in the "Earliest (Worst) Mock Draft Ever".
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby J35J » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:17 pm

Field wrote:I think fantasy owners who draft Martin next year are going to be somewhat disappointed with the results. He probably deserves to be ranked second going into '08, but I would not pay the price to get him at that spot. In the end, he only ranked 72 overall according to Yahoo after his fantastic season. Most of his value lies in stolen bases, and if you look at his second half you will see that he only stole 5 while getting caught six times. I'm not saying he's going to be a bust, although I would temper expectations. There is no reason to take him in the top 5 rounds which is probably what it's going to cost. (He went 30th overall in the "Earliest (Worst) Mock Draft Ever".

No doubt about it but I like his "overrated-ness". Just means 1 more better pick falls my way!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby wkelly91 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:26 pm

Will he be next years Chris Ianetta?

Iannetta, Chris C COL Red Sox Nation 197 22 43 28 8 3 4 27 29 58 0 0 0.2183 0.3305 0.3503

There was a lot of hype for him too...
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers