100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Better 2nd round pick....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Better 2nd round pick....

Postby J35J » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:38 pm

5x5 Redraft...Who do you want?

Grady Sizemore vs Nick Markakis

I laughed at the comparison at first too but Markakis isn't far behind and you can likely get him in the 3rd round or later while you will have to pay late first to mid 2nd on Sizemore.

I've got them down for

Sizemore (if batting leadoff the majority of the time)
0.280 avg
26 hr
80 rbi
122 runs
28 sb

Markakis
0.300 avg
25 hr
114 rbi
100 runs
16 sb

....so do you want the avg and rbi or sb and runs?

What say you?
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Better 2nd round pick....

Postby cordscords » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:45 pm

I like Nick, but I'd feel completely comfortable taking Sizemore over him.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 156)

Postby J35J » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:48 pm

cordscords wrote:I like Nick, but I'd feel completely comfortable taking Sizemore over him.

I'm with you there.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Oriole Way » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:49 pm

I like the comparison. Markakis will definitely get you tons of value, since he'll be drafted later rather than sooner next year, especially compared to Sizemore.

Both of these guys have high ceilings, and if Sizemore improves, he could really be a 5-cat monster. The thing about Markakis is that his speed isn't going to be as steady as Sizemore, especially if Sizemore continues to hit leadoff. Markakis was on the back end of a double steal AT LEAST four or five times this season with Brian Roberts, inflating his SB totals a little bit. I'm not saying it won't happen again, but I'm thinking that his SB numbers are more comparable to those of someone like Jason Bay his breakout season. In other words, don't count on 15+ stolen bases yearly for Nick.
Oriole Way
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby J35J » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:53 pm

Oriole Way wrote:I like the comparison. Markakis will definitely get you tons of value, since he'll be drafted later rather than sooner next year, especially compared to Sizemore.

Both of these guys have high ceilings, and if Sizemore improves, he could really be a 5-cat monster. The thing about Markakis is that his speed isn't going to be as steady as Sizemore, especially if Sizemore continues to hit leadoff. Markakis was on the back end of a double steal AT LEAST four or five times this season with Brian Roberts, inflating his SB totals a little bit. I'm not saying it won't happen again, but I'm thinking that his SB numbers are more comparable to those of someone like Jason Bay his breakout season. In other words, don't count on 15+ stolen bases yearly for Nick.

I agree....which is why I predicted a couple less sb for next year....maybe I need to bump that down a couple more? He's young so I don't think he'll just completely stop running.

I just like to throw these comparisons up there to show people how close some guys actually are that you may not think about being compariable in value.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Field » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:56 pm

If I was picking in the second round and had to choose between the two then it would be Sizemore and his consistency- even if he is slightly overrated.

Markakis' numbers were infalted by a great final two months of the season where he finally seemed to adjust to big league pitching. He is certainly a player that is trending upward, just not a player that I'm willing to spend a 2nd or 3rd round pick on -yet. I agree with the SB comment earlier as well as the Jason Bay comparison.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:57 pm

I think Sizemore could be a bit of a buzzkill in H2H given his streakiness, but his skillset still has yet to mature and that's the exciting thing as he could go 30-30 and hit 10-20 points higher in BA.

With that said, I wouldn't mind taking Sizemore with a 2nd round draft pick, but Markakis, Chris Young (if BA improves), or Corey Hart even could be a better value pick for the round taken.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 451)

Postby horatio » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:01 pm

wait for Chris B. Young and be stoked and instead grab Peavy in the round if you can.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Yoda » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:11 pm

Sizemore even though he didn't have his growth spurt as I expected he would in 07. I like Nick a lot but Sizemore is a bit closer to his peak in 08 so I'd take him there.

Also looking at other power/speed guys, I really like where Granderson, Young and Hart will be going compared to them. I especially like Young as he has serious power potential and I'd be shocked if he doesn't go 30/30 next year. Keep other owners focused on his low AVG and grab him in the 10th round. Digging a little deeper, Weeks could be finally breaking out based on his strong finish (I know I pegged him in 07 but didn't pan out).
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:20 pm

I prefer Sizemore over Markakis in the 2nd round, but I don't think we see Markakis go in the 2nd round in many drafts next year.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers