Avoiding Post-Season Pitchers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Avoiding Post-Season Pitchers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Avoiding Post-Season Pitchers

Postby moose32 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:32 pm

Does anyone have stats on this? Post-season starters throw about an extra thirty innings. Does anyone avoid drafting them next year? The most recent example being Chris Carpenter. How does everyone feel about Beckett, Carmona, Dice-K next year?
moose32
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Avoiding Post-Season Pitchers

Postby Yoda » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:51 pm

moose32 wrote:Does anyone have stats on this? Post-season starters throw about an extra thirty innings. Does anyone avoid drafting them next year? The most recent example being Chris Carpenter. How does everyone feel about Beckett, Carmona, Dice-K next year?

I think you have to look at IP+ from the previous year. If it's around 30 IP, then it wouldn't concern me too much. DiceK is a big one as he pitched way more than he is used to and he wore down horribly. And he is not done pitching. Same with Carmona but I wouldn't knock them down too much. based on this.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:53 pm

Well, while they throw extra innings, they still have a long offseason to recover. Also, if they are in the postseason, it means their team is probably pretty good even the next year, and so they will be in conention the next year, lowering the chance of them getting shut down at the end of the year (i.e. Lincecum got shut down).

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Noggy » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:57 am

moose32 wrote:The most recent example being Chris Carpenter.

Carpenter hasn't exactly been healthy is entire career. This is his third notable arm related injury in the last 5 years.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:33 am

Yoda wrote:
moose32 wrote:Does anyone have stats on this? Post-season starters throw about an extra thirty innings. Does anyone avoid drafting them next year? The most recent example being Chris Carpenter. How does everyone feel about Beckett, Carmona, Dice-K next year?

I think you have to look at IP+ from the previous year. If it's around 30 IP, then it wouldn't concern me too much. DiceK is a big one as he pitched way more than he is used to and he wore down horribly. And he is not done pitching. Same with Carmona but I wouldn't knock them down too much. based on this.

Agree on Matsuzaka. He's the one I would be most worried about given his change to pitching more often in the States this year.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Return to Baseball Leftovers