"Over-managing" your fantasy team? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

"Over-managing" your fantasy team?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

"Over-managing" your fantasy team?

Postby ferris182 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:46 pm

In one of my baseball leagues this year a friend of mine "over-managed" his fantasy team and I think it cost him dearly. He finished in 5th place out of 10 teams. He made a ton of trasactions for the season and tried to pick up average players that were hot. However, he would bench his studs to replace these "hot" hitters.

For example, he would bench Pujols, Aramis Ramirez or Reyes and pick up a hot 1B, 3B or SS. If Pujols had one or two bad games he would bench him for a week and pick up a semi-hot waiver wire player.

I keep telling him to just leave in his studs no matter what and almost never bench these guys unless they are hurt but he doesn't like to listen.

Does anyone else do this? Does anyone else know any managers that do this?
ferris182
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: "Over-managing" your fantasy team?

Postby bleach168 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:01 pm

Yeah, I know someone like that. Still does it, even after 5 years.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Philomath » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:40 pm

I am guilty of doing it in the off season in my keeper league.
Philomath
College Coach
College Coach

Re:

Postby Bwanna » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:16 am

bleach168 wrote:Yeah, I know someone like that. Still does it, even after 5 years.

Yeah, I know 'a friend' who does this as well. In spite of over-managing 'my friend' won both leagues by slim margins. I, er, 'my friend' would have won running away in both if he'd left well enough alone.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 243)

Postby J35J » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:12 am

It's a fault of many, IMO. This is one reason why I don't mind weekly leagues. I'll routinely go an entire season with no more than 30 transactions.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby great gretzky » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:29 am

I think you can get too cute to be honest. I always wonder how many stats you "shave" off of quality players on your roster by being too funky with the matchups. When dealing with stud hitters, I just give it time, and if I am getting that frustrated, I will try and trade out of the situation. But too much benching doesn't do anyone good. If you knock of 8 home runs off a 40 homer threat, you basically just overpaid, except its a hidden cost. Why pay for a guy like that, if you aren't going to leave him in and let him get his?

I think this is somewhat justfiable with your weaker slots and especially pitching. I always end up with one position that is just an utter sinkhole, so doing this can also generate value if you get lucky enough.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby mak1277 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:13 pm

This has plagued me in my NL-only league both of the past two years, but my problem is with my younger guys as opposed to established studs.

In '06 it was Prince Fielder. He spent about 1/2 the year in my line-up, but unfortunately I missed out on most of his good stuff.

This past year it was CB Young. Before trading him, I think I got nailed with all of his slumps and missed all his hot streaks.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Re: Re:

Postby BrooklynBums » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:41 pm

Bwanna wrote:
bleach168 wrote:Yeah, I know someone like that. Still does it, even after 5 years.

Yeah, I know 'a friend' who does this as well. In spite of over-managing 'my friend' won both leagues by slim margins. I, er, 'my friend' would have won running away in both if he'd left well enough alone.

I too have 'a friend' who was leading his league by more than 10 points and who used a bunch of spot starters who were bad. 'My friend's' season ended up depending on Adam Wainwright and Jesse Litsch on the last Saturday. Thankfully, 'my friend' won by 1.5 points. Also, 'my friend' dumped Brad Penny and Kelvim at the start of the season. He also failed to pick up Troy Tulowitzki and was stuck with Troy Glaus.
BrooklynBums
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:50 pm

I WAS that friend who dumped Tulowitzki early in the year in favor of Jhonny Peralta who was on my bench. We do an 11x11 head-to-head league and the league has been won and lost by the savviest of managerial moves. Move felt good at the time because Peralta was hitting for average and power but boy did I miss out down the stretch when Tulo went nuts and the first place team who I incidentally finished second to had him as the starting SS.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Field » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:59 pm

If you do this with 2 positions, say, your 3rd OF slot and you UTL slot, than it's not really over managing and it may help you out. But, if your manipulating 5 slots throughout the year and you are dropping proven studs than it's too much. It took me 3/4 of the season to finally drop Bay in one of my leagues. I only really like to pick up players who I could see being on my roster for the entire year (unless it's a pick-up for a 15 day DL plug-in).
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers