Torre Fired if Yanks Don't Make ALCS - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Torre Fired if Yanks Don't Make ALCS

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Torre Fired if Yanks Don't Make ALCS

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:07 pm

mweir145 wrote:I really don't see them changing their ways too much, guys, but if you say so. Personally, I wouldn't rely on young pitching when you can just continually spend money on good players with no consequences, and Steinbrenner might see it this way as well.

Burnett has owned the Yankees in his time as a Jay, and if I'm correct in believing that he'll have another good contract year like he did in '05, I think New York will be at the very top of the list to get him.


I thought the Yankees were going to get him when he was a FA the last time. I'm not sure why you wouldn't let the young arms have their chance, especially with the potential that Hughes, Chamberlain and Kennedy have.
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 54)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Torre Fired if Yanks Don't Make ALCS

Postby Yoda » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:07 pm

I heard that guy Peavy is pretty good... I think he'd look good in pinstripes.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Torre Fired if Yanks Don't Make ALCS

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:08 pm

Yoda wrote:I heard that guy Peavy is pretty good... I think he'd look good in pinstripes.


Didn't he sign a contract recently? Or am I mistaken? :-?
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 54)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Torre Fired if Yanks Don't Make ALCS

Postby Yoda » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:11 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Yoda wrote:I heard that guy Peavy is pretty good... I think he'd look good in pinstripes.


Didn't he sign a contract recently? Or am I mistaken? :-?


After 09 he becomes a free agent assuming the Pads pick up the option for 09.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Torre Fired if Yanks Don't Make ALCS

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:35 pm

mweir145 wrote:Johan will probably be a Yankee in '09...heck they'll probably sign AJ Burnett after he opts out of his contract next year (I'm guessing he'll once again have a fantastic year like he did in '05). I hate baseball's unfair system.


Did you hate the unfair system when Toronto was signing Ryan, Burnett, and Thomas??
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Re: Torre Fired if Yanks Don't Make ALCS

Postby thedude » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:05 pm

mweir145 wrote:Johan will probably be a Yankee in '09...heck they'll probably sign AJ Burnett after he opts out of his contract next year (I'm guessing he'll once again have a fantastic year like he did in '05). I hate baseball's unfair system.


If they lose AJ it is the blue Jays own fault for giving him the option to opt out. Johan will probably be either in Boston or New York in 2009 though.


Santana, Buccholz, Beckett, Matsuzaka, Masterson. :-L
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 8413
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Good Life

Re: Torre Fired if Yanks Don't Make ALCS

Postby mweir145 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:17 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Johan will probably be a Yankee in '09...heck they'll probably sign AJ Burnett after he opts out of his contract next year (I'm guessing he'll once again have a fantastic year like he did in '05). I hate baseball's unfair system.


Did you hate the unfair system when Toronto was signing Ryan, Burnett, and Thomas??

You mean the signings that finally got us up to over 1/3 of payroll what the Yankees pay for their team? Those signings?

And dude, how many times do I have to say it? I have no problem whatsoever in the Yankees spending money. The Yankees do what all teams should, IMO. However what they do isn't economically feasible for many teams (it is possible for the Jays, though, they just choose not to). The fairer, and much better way of determining the best team would be to implement a salary cap.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Torre Fired if Yanks Don't Make ALCS

Postby mweir145 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:22 pm

thedude wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Johan will probably be a Yankee in '09...heck they'll probably sign AJ Burnett after he opts out of his contract next year (I'm guessing he'll once again have a fantastic year like he did in '05). I hate baseball's unfair system.


If they lose AJ it is the blue Jays own fault for giving him the option to opt out. Johan will probably be either in Boston or New York in 2009 though.


Santana, Buccholz, Beckett, Matsuzaka, Masterson. :-L

I have no problem with AJ opting out at all. Nothing he does next year (even if he does what he did this year over 220 IP or something) will prove to me that he's completely reliable out there.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Torre Fired if Yanks Don't Make ALCS

Postby jfg » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:48 pm

A salary cap isn't going to happen because all of the media thinks that revenue sharing is working for some insane reason.

When players continue to get churned through the farm, the small market team to a big market team the system isn't working. Sure, the Royals can bring in guys like Gil Meche but they have no shot of resigning Alex Gordon if he becomes a superstar. Selig wants those kind of players in major markets and that's whats unfair about the system. The competition might be a little more balanced with revenue sharing but it's the fans who lose out because the guys that people want to pay to see play are only available to a handful of teams.
Image
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6078
(Past Year: 82)
Joined: 4 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Torre Fired if Yanks Don't Make ALCS

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:58 pm

jfg wrote:A salary cap isn't going to happen because all of the media thinks that revenue sharing is working for some insane reason.

When players continue to get churned through the farm, the small market team to a big market team the system isn't working. Sure, the Royals can bring in guys like Gil Meche but they have no shot of resigning Alex Gordon if he becomes a superstar. Selig wants those kind of players in major markets and that's whats unfair about the system. The competition might be a little more balanced with revenue sharing but it's the fans who lose out because the guys that people want to pay to see play are only available to a handful of teams.


Maybe, but it doesn't appear that the competitive balance is hurting too badly. The Yankees are the only playoff team this year that was in it last year as well. That's 7 new playoff teams this year. And since the Yankees run ended in 2000, we've had a lot of different (and in a lot of cases small market and/or wildcard teams) knock off the big boys and win a ring. It's not an ideal system but I don't see it changing anytime soon, because the big-market teams aren't guaranteed any success in postseason, should they make it there (and you can make the case that the Yankees are the only big-market team that have even been able to get themselves consistent regular season success over the past decade.)
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 54)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact