What do Jack Cust, Carlo Pena have in common? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What do Jack Cust, Carlo Pena have in common?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What do Jack Cust, Carlo Pena have in common?

Postby wkelly91 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:14 am

They both drew over 100 walks last year :-S That's crazy!

Cust .256-61-26-82 105-walks
Pena .282-99-46-121 103-walks

I can't get over these numbers...they both had better OBP than Matt Holliday (.340 BA), and Vlad (.324 BA), and Ichiro (.351 BA).

What is this world coming too!
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What do Jack Cust, Carlo Pena have in common?

Postby Field » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:25 am

I'm more surprised that they had an OBP higher than Holliday than either Vlad or Ichiro since they are notorious free-swingers.

Didn't Nick Swisher lead the league in walks this year? I may be wrong, but I know he was leading 2/3 the way into the season. I had to give that a double look at the time.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby wkelly91 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:33 am

Field wrote:I'm more surprised that they had an OBP higher than Holliday than either Vlad or Ichiro since they are notorious free-swingers.

Didn't Nick Swisher lead the league in walks this year? I may be wrong, but I know he was leading 2/3 the way into the season. I had to give that a double look at the time.

Swisher had less than both at 100. Barry lead with 132.
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Field » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:34 am

Holliday walked a lot less than I would have expected with only 63. But he also has a lot more protection than a lot of other players.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby acsguitar » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:53 pm

Field wrote:I'm more surprised that they had an OBP higher than Holliday than either Vlad or Ichiro since they are notorious free-swingers.

Holliday is a very very free swinger. He swings at the first pitch all the time. He gets to 0-2 alot
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby The Cow » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:07 pm

Well Cust didn't even play all year and was often benched against lefties. So Cust's BB total is even more impressive. Oh and maybe Holliday isn't as good as he is given credit for in this forum.. Maybe the ballpark helps Holliday out a bit.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby acsguitar » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:36 pm

The Cow wrote:Well Cust didn't even play all year and was often benched against lefties. So Cust's BB total is even more impressive. Oh and maybe Holliday isn't as good as he is given credit for in this forum.. Maybe the ballpark helps Holliday out a bit.

The Cow

Players gave Holliday more votes then any other player into the allstar game. Stop with the coors field BS. I guess Papi and Manny aren't as good either because they play in a ballpark with a greater PF then coors.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Yoda » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:09 pm

The Cow wrote:Well Cust didn't even play all year and was often benched against lefties. So Cust's BB total is even more impressive. Oh and maybe Holliday isn't as good as he is given credit for in this forum.. Maybe the ballpark helps Holliday out a bit.

The Cow

But why stop there? CC's pitching environment should be taken into account for Cy Young votes. Great pitcher's park and weak division opponents. Credit Beckett more since he is pitching in a more neutral park and a much tougher division. Actually, we should give the AL Cy to Kazmir since his team blows and is probalby in the toughest pitching environment for any young pitcher.

Peavy should get some demerits for NL Cy also since his home park is so much better than anyone else's and give it to Webb since AZ is a great hitters park.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Bwanna » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:33 pm

Man, this thread freaked me out for a second. I saw my old avatar and thought I was the originator of the post. I couldn't for the life of me remember posting about Cust and Pena yesterday.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 243)

Postby Field » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:41 pm

Bwanna wrote:Man, this thread freaked me out for a second. I saw my old avatar and thought I was the originator of the post. I couldn't for the life of me remember posting about Cust and Pena yesterday.

I thought I had seen that Avatar before.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers