Bugssssssss - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bugssssssss

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bugssssssss

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:51 pm

Joba talking about bugs and such is really bothering me. The bugs were the same for Carmona and the rest of the Indians pitching staff as they were for Joba. Did he really think conditions would be perfect every time he pitched? Joba needs to shut him mouth, man up, and pitch.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Bugssssssss

Postby Amazinz » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:10 pm

Sounds like you're just prepping the tinder...

"I've got to do a better job of executing," said Chamberlain, who had yielded only one earned run in his first 24 innings in the majors. "Yeah, they bugged me. But you've got to deal with it. I'll never make an excuse for myself.

"I wasn't the only person who dealt with it. It was just disappointing to let the guys down. We're in the loss column, and that's due to the fact I didn't do my job."

Comments sounded fine to me. Pretty much what you'd expect him to say.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:35 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Joba talking about bugs and such is really bothering me. The bugs were the same for Carmona and the rest of the Indians pitching staff as they were for Joba. Did he really think conditions would be perfect every time he pitched? Joba needs to shut him mouth, man up, and pitch.

I don't disagree with him. It was pretty ridiculous out there and watching the game on an HDTV made it clearer how bad the bugs were. I think it's a valid excuse if you are not used to pitching under those conditions.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby great gretzky » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:51 pm

sometimes there is a difference between an explanation and an excuse.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Pacman » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:36 pm

Here's a link to a Canton, Ohio column from today that includes a pretty good quote from Ryan Garko, basically saying that Carmona dealt with the bugs without freaking out....

Bugs took over Jacobs Field and had a particular preference for Joba Chamberlain. The rookie right-hander was bothered by the little buggers in his ears, his eyes, all over his hat and neck.

But when Cleveland starter Fausto Carmona took the mound, he never stepped off the rubber. He was tougher than the gnats.

"I think that was my favorite part of the game," Garko said. "Fausto didn't step off the mound, because he's tough. That's what you've got to be here: Tough. Fausto didn't flinch.

"There were guys acting like those were bullets flying around their heads. They're not bullets. They're just bugs. This is the big leagues."

Jeter and A-Rod looked like shadow boxers. Who kills the spiders at home? Mrs. A-Rod? Rodriguez swung at the bugs around his head and missed those, too.

:-b
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:10 pm

Joba needs to shut up? Obviously your talking out of your *** because it's quite apparent that you did not hear his comments. Amazinz posted them above. Was Joba affected by the bugs? Obviously. It's the playoffs though, and you have to find a way to pitch through that. He didn't get the job done last night. He knows that. To call him out for something that he didn't even do shows ignorance on your part.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby AdvRider » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:19 pm

Ahem, Carmona had fewer bugs on him because he stinks. Chamberlain is sweet, therefore attracted more bugs. Simple as that. :-?

Seriously, that was bizarre. Torre should have intervened to discuss it with the umps, if only to buy some time for Joba to collect himself. It would have been a perfectly legitimate issue. Joe dropped the ball on that and in retrospect I bet he's thinking the same thing.

And no Carmona doesn't stink. What an awesome game! ;-D
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 17)

Postby Field » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:40 pm

Carmona was so impressive the other night. He looks like a totally different pitcher, alot of guys wouldn't be able to come back from his absolute tank job last year. I give Carmona props, I don't really hold anything against Joba. I do think he could have had more focus, but that will come with experience.

I hadn't really seen Carmona pitch all that much this year, but wow - everything he throws breaks down and hard. This last start really convinced me that he is a legit ace-type of pitcher and a great fantasy selection next year.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby acsguitar » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:20 pm

Hopefully Joba will bean Garko
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby The Cow » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:04 pm

This was not a one time occurrence for the bugs. Those bugs are around all the time. Having a stadium so close to Lake Erie probably has a lot to do with it. The bugs were worse at Cleveland Municipal Stadium way back in the day 1993. So the bugs are part of our home field advantage. I have seen the bugs far worse than what they were in that playoff game. Joba was a bit of a sissy, I mean they don't even bite. I forget the name of them Canadian something or others. One has to be able to deal with the elements and Joba choked, maybe he choked on a bug I don't know, but he choked. Anyways Paul Byrd ends it tonight, Goodbye Bankmees.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers