craigslist - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

craigslist

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

craigslist

Postby Yoda » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:44 pm

I am trying to sell my laptop for $600 and someone sent me this email. Does it seem legit?

"Hello, hope this item is stilll available for sale? I need it for my daughter in college. I am planning to send you $700 through the United States Postal Services (USPS) whereby they will bring the money to your resident for delivery, I added an additional amounts bcos I needed a proper and neet packaging of the item. After my payment might have been confirmed to you by USPS, I will send fedex man to come and pick it up at your resident so you will not worry about the shipping costs. For me to complete my payment to USPS, I will need your contact address so that I can forward that to USPS for them to know where money will be delivered to.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Thanks. - Cynthia Anderson"
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: craigslist

Postby Yoda » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:14 pm

OK, so another person emailed me:

"I am interested in buying your item and sending to my Grandson that recently traveled to abroad (Nigeria) for a research program.Also, I will pay you $850 for the payment including shipping of this item. This item is to be shipped directly from you to Grandson address at abroad via USPS (EMS) Global Express Mail. My mode of payment is Paypal or Usps Money Order, through usps money order delivery, they will deliver at your doorstep.Kindly close the auction and get back to me with your payment details so i can make the payment asap.
Thanks - james smith"

I'm starting to see the pattern lol... They seem to use very generic names also.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pablo975 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:06 pm

Scam city dude. Ignore them all.

That's a shame too, as craigslist is such an awesome site. It's too bad more people won't use it becuase of stuff like this.

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Madison » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:48 pm

Yup, definitely a scam. Glad to see you didn't fall for it. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:22 pm

anyone that needs any kind of special request like "extra neat packaging" means its a scam. that really stinks man. craigslist is awesome, what a shame.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:30 am

Well I did sell my projector for more than what it was worth on Craigslist so it isn't all bad. People seem to be interested so I'm going to have to make sure they come and pick it up...
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:06 pm

Wow so far I've gotten 4 emails which are pretty much the same. Pretty crappy if you ask me. :-t
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JTWood » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:41 pm

I'm obviously an idiot, because I know it's a scam but don't see it.

They send the money in advance.
You don't send the item until you have the money.

What's the catch? Is there a way for them to somehow negate the payment? I know that scam through Paypal, but I didn't know you could do it through the postal service. Can you? :-S
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Tavish » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:31 pm

JTWood wrote:I'm obviously an idiot, because I know it's a scam but don't see it.

They send the money in advance.
You don't send the item until you have the money.

What's the catch? Is there a way for them to somehow negate the payment? I know that scam through Paypal, but I didn't know you could do it through the postal service. Can you? :-S

These are variants of the Nigerian 419 scam. The money orders are worth nothing and typically counterfeit. The good counterfeits will even clear payment process at your bank. But weeks down the road when the banks eventually do discover the forgery you are screwed. You have lost the item and your account is likely in debt when you spent money that you assumed was there and the bank negates the bad money order deposit.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby JTWood » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:22 pm

Tavish wrote:The money orders are... typically counterfeit.

Nice to know our money orders can be so easily forged. ;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Next

Return to General Talk