Trades that made a difference - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trades that made a difference

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Trades that made a difference

Postby Madison » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:43 am

JTWood wrote:
Chadgo5 wrote:I made a decision to go for it and forget about next year. I was tired of being an "also -ran". I have no regrets.

Madison would be proud. ;-D

Yes, I'm a fan of playing to "win now". ;-D

Building for the future of course is cool, but too many people get stuck in that mindset and never wind up actually winning. Look at Chadgo5. 9 years. 9 seasons of building for next year. That's painful and boring. Dealing Maine and Hamels is amazingly tough to pull the trigger on, but hard for me to say anything bad about it after he had put in 9 years on that league. Gotta win a championship sometime, regardless of what it takes.

Plus I'm a believer that if one really studies, beautiful sleepers can be found, so dealing away a stud, or possible future stud isn't nearly as damaging in my eyes as it is in other people's eyes. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chadgo5 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:11 am

My thoughts exactly Madison. There will always be the next young stud. If you do your research, you can find them. For example, I drafted Maine in the 17th round last year (which is basically the 24th round once you factor in our keepers.) The 24th round is the beginnning of our farm team draft... so I had already picked my five starters. I drafted him as insurance.

It took me too long to figure out that everyone is tradeable. Its all about timing, cost and maximizing scoring category efficiency. In the past two years I've traded away ARod, Miguel Cabrera, Hanley Ramirez, Sizemore, Hamels and Maine. Yet, I was able to build a championship team this year.

Another thing I learned this year is to never draft a closer to high or overpay (we are a salary league). In a keeper league, you can always trade for closers mid season as teams fall out of the race. I gained 5 critical points in the standings by trading for Gregg and Borowski. Teams out of the race have no use for closers, and they are never kept by any owner in our league... so you can get them for pretty cheap.
Chadgo5
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby great gretzky » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:23 am

I traded Pujols, Smoltz and Izzy for Miggy, Pena and Markakis, and that proved to be the winning difference, as I squeaked by in home runs, and made up three points in RBI.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby mak1277 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:46 am

Traded Smoltz and Dempster for Dunn and Escobar in an OPS league. Escobar, at the time, was a throw-in, but this totally tilted the deal in my favor. Dunn was a major part of my offense.

Same league, traded Youkilis straight up for Figgins, who single-handedly earned me an extra 2 pts. in steals.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Oriole Way » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:44 pm

In early June, I dealt Michael Cuddyer and Reggie Willits to a guy who was desperate for SB's and acquired Adrian Gonzalez. ---> viewtopic.php?f=26&t=294932&hilit=+gonzalez

Gonzalez promptly went into a deep slump for me, but his last two months were pretty awesome. Add in the fact it's a keeper league, and I'm really happy with how that trade worked out.
Oriole Way
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigken117 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:17 pm

In my 18 team H2H league I won the two winners I made were dealing Ortiz and S. Torres for Hanley and Tex on April 3rd, and dealing Olsen and Theriot for Bedard on May 21...and in a trade designed to help the rebuilding team, I got Holliday and Harang for MCabs in mid July...I did make my share of duds to be fair too, Rowand for Freel and Lincecum for Bonderman...but you can't argue with the end result.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby DbacksRback » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:19 pm

gave peavy got reyes he replaced furcal and i ended up winning the championship.....

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

Postby Brandaddy » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:13 am

I made a few trades that helped me alot

first i used my number 5 waiver on Delgado in mid may, i had him for a few weeks then traded him straight up for Carlos Guillen who immediatly made an impact on pretty much every cat while my whole offense was struggling, and having Tex and Morneau i was not worried about losing Delgado.

second my league is a holds league that only has 2 RP, 2 P and 4 SP so having SP eligible relievers is a plus and i had casey janssen and brad hennesey, and i had my position on holds and saves pretty much locked up (although i did go down one spot in saves and .5 in holds) and i was offered Fausto Carmona and Jeremy Guthrie for the 2 and fausto alone boosted me up in era,w,whip and k.
Brandaddy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stevekahuda » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:59 am

I traded Glavine for Kazmir to a (usually) very astute owner. I emailed him right after Kazmir got creamed by the Royals at the worst point in his season, and he was so frustrated he pulled the trigger immediately. Then I had to lobby my league not to veto it :D
stevekahuda
College Coach
College Coach

Postby sinkerslider » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:51 pm

Traded Jeremy Hermida, Hank Blalock, Scott Elbert, and a 1st round supplementary pick for Brandon Webb in a dynasty league. Hermida caught fire, but Webb threw 42 shutout innings. That really helped make a push (got killed at the end though . . .)
sinkerslider
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers