Braves dump Andruw Jones - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Braves dump Andruw Jones

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Braves dump Andruw Jones

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:05 am

davidmarver wrote:Andruw Jones is still an awesome defensive center-fielder. He, once again, led the NL in putouts at CF. I would be stoked if we could get him cheap.

I don't think he goes cheap unless you consider a Vernon Wells like contract cheap.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:42 am

raiders_umpire wrote:
davidmarver wrote:Andruw Jones is still an awesome defensive center-fielder. He, once again, led the NL in putouts at CF. I would be stoked if we could get him cheap.

I don't think he goes cheap unless you consider a Vernon Wells like contract cheap.

He will definitely be cheaper than if he had come off a career year like Wells did. Plus there are other viable CF free agents notably Hunter and Cameron this year. I'd rather have Andruw even if he costs a little more than the other guys.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby wkelly91 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:15 pm

You can have him, he is over-paid and over-valued. I have watched him his whole career living in Atlanta. He once was spoken of in the same breath as Willie Mays, watch him now and you won't see that comparision.

Look at his career putouts and stolen bases to start. His put outs peaked in 1999 at 493...the last few years he has been at 396, 377, 365, his range has dropped. His legend exceeds his abilities. From 1997 to 2000 he stole over 20 bases, he hasn't stolen even 10 in the last six years. He has put on too much weight which has robbed his range and his speed.

Does anyone remember he actually hit .303 in 2000? He now is a career .263 hitter. His Slugging average has dropped three straight years .575, .531, and .513. His doubles hav'nt hit 30 in the last three years. His strikeouts have increased the last three years 138, 127, and 112.

He is an undisciplined hitter and player.

Does this sound like the guy you want to pay $20 million too?

To build a franchise around?

Goodbye Andruw, thanks for the memories...but goodbye!
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:25 pm

my guess is the cubs if they dont land arod. and he would be a perfect fit, not having to hit 3rd or 4th. they can hit him 5th behind dlee and aramis or even 6th if they hit soriano 3rd.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby great gretzky » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:43 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:my guess is the cubs if they dont land arod. and he would be a perfect fit, not having to hit 3rd or 4th. they can hit him 5th behind dlee and aramis or even 6th if they hit soriano 3rd.

BOO

I'm not an expert on fielding, I liked baseball before being introduced to fantasy, now I love it, but still have some learning.

But my thoughts are (and they won't happen) but given Rowand's year, I'd rather sign andruw then overpay for rowand. Maybe the short field will allivieate his defense, and he will be in the lineup of a bunch of murderers. Could be fun, especially since Wes Helms seems to be figuring as the 3b again. I'll take an OF of victorino, burrell and jones, even if I don't like one of them. Of course, it's a pipe dream as I am sure Jones will want CF...
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:37 am

id MUCH rather save that money and spend it on a starter or closer (myers takes the other role) and an upgrade at 3b. im good with bourn in cf, victorino in rf, and werth spelling the both of them playing in rf and letting victorino play cf. thats just my opinion.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:03 pm

I don't think Jones' poor season will affect his value in the FA market substantially. The FA crop isn't all that hot this year and premiere CFers who carry big sticks are tough to come by. Jones has played ~155 games in 11 straight seasons. I don't know whether or not he's in decline but I think there will be plenty of teams weighting the first ten seasons far more heavily than the last. My worthless prediction is that he signs a massive 5-6 year deal in January. P.S. J353, Andruw looks "solid" in any color. :*)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Field » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:13 pm

I'm just surprised they would just go out and make this statment so early. It kind of feels like a slap in the face for one of the cornerstone's of the franchise over the past decade.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby wkelly91 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:24 pm

They did it early and let it be known so they could find the best pitching talent available.
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:33 pm

Field wrote:I'm just surprised they would just go out and make this statment so early. It kind of feels like a slap in the face for one of the cornerstone's of the franchise over the past decade.

I agree. He signed a long term contract with them at below market rate and gave them a lot of good years. Maybe he had a bad attitude this season because he was frustrated?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers