Braves dump Andruw Jones - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Braves dump Andruw Jones

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Braves dump Andruw Jones

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:07 pm

Erm, he'd be a good fit for the Dodgers?

However, I don't see Frank McCourt forking up a little bit of 3.8 million in attendance worth of attendance revenue or from the $15 per general space parking to pick up Andruw. He would be a good defensive asset also although Pierre covers a lot of ground in CF despite having a rather lousy arm, which fits him better.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:10 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:Erm, he'd be a good fit for the Dodgers?

However, I don't see Frank McCourt forking up a little bit of 3.8 million in attendance worth of attendance revenue or from the $15 per general space parking to pick up Andruw. He would be a good defensive asset also although Pierre covers a lot of ground in CF despite having a rather lousy arm, which fits him better.

Don't get me started on Pierre. I used to be a Dodgers fan.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 143)

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:40 pm

I don't know, I think he's close to done. I think he's overrated now as a fielder based on his past and I don't think he's that great of a hitter. Any team that spends $15M+ to sign him is going to be sorry IMHO.

Of course that probably means my M's will sign him. He is a "gritty vet" after all. !+) :~(
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:19 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:Of course that probably means my M's will sign him. He is a "gritty vet" after all. !+) :~(

San Francisco have a much much bigger gritty vet fetish then Seattle.
Sabean even started his own website. http://www.agedgrit.com
Colletti :-P goes to the same veteran fetish websites.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 143)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:12 pm

with one of the worse contract year performances in recent memory, i doubt he will get even close to the $$ he wants.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:25 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:I don't know, I think he's close to done. I think he's overrated now as a fielder based on his past and I don't think he's that great of a hitter. Any team that spends $15M+ to sign him is going to be sorry IMHO.

Of course that probably means my M's will sign him. He is a "gritty vet" after all. !+) :~(

You do realize that he is only 30? He's been around for a while but still pretty young. He's had one bad season so I will probably chalk it up as a fluke but I suppose he could be done.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Cow » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:55 pm

Somebody will overpay they always do. Jones has lost a step in the OF as well. How much longer can he play CF? Horrid year.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:55 pm

Yoda wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:I don't know, I think he's close to done. I think he's overrated now as a fielder based on his past and I don't think he's that great of a hitter. Any team that spends $15M+ to sign him is going to be sorry IMHO.

You do realize that he is only 30? He's been around for a while but still pretty young. He's had one bad season so I will probably chalk it up as a fluke but I suppose he could be done.

Oh I definitely realize he's only 30. But look at his career numbers. He's a .260 hitter who Ks a lot and doesn't walk that much. If you look at the stats, I see the 51 and 41 HRs sticking out as being the outliers as opposed to the 35ish that he's put up every other year. In addition, his (once great) skills in the field are declining. That doesn't scream 7/$20M (or even 5/$15M) to me. Someone will probably overpay after reading Boras' little binder that favorably compares him to Willie Mays, Ted Williams, and Babe Ruth, I just hope it's not my team. :-)
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Yoda » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:29 am

Big Pimpin wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Oh I definitely realize he's only 30. But look at his career numbers. He's a .260 hitter who Ks a lot and doesn't walk that much. If you look at the stats, I see the 51 and 41 HRs sticking out as being the outliers as opposed to the 35ish that he's put up every other year. In addition, his (once great) skills in the field are declining. That doesn't scream 7/$20M (or even 5/$15M) to me. Someone will probably overpay after reading Boras' little binder that favorably compares him to Willie Mays, Ted Williams, and Babe Ruth, I just hope it's not my team. :-)

I realize he has some weaknesses but he's been very consistent 30+ HR hitter for a long time. His comps through age 29 (before 07) are:
Robinson, Matthews, Griffey Jr, Kaline, Aaron, Bench... pretty good company.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby davidmarver » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:04 am

Andruw Jones is still an awesome defensive center-fielder. He, once again, led the NL in putouts at CF. I would be stoked if we could get him cheap.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers