Instant Replay in Baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Instant Replay in Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Instant Replay?

For
5
22%
Against
13
57%
For Just When Looking at Homeruns and Foulballs
5
22%
 
Total votes : 23

Re: Instant Replay in Baseball

Postby great gretzky » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:05 am

I think football made the right call with IR. You get challenges, but not everything is up for challenge, and you have a limited number.

I'd say balls and strikes aren't up for replay, homeruns, and plays at the plate should be. Maybe you give each team one challenge per game, and another if it goes to extra innings. I think that would be more than fair. I mean adding a minute or two to an already long game isn't that big of a deal to make sure that the real winner actually wins.

the human element is also what starts altercations with Milton Bradley and makes umps think they are bigger than the game. I think the key calls (which would be in the manager's discretion) should be up for review.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3769
Joined: 3 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Instant Replay in Baseball

Postby J35J » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:49 pm

I'm for IR on Home Runs and plays at the plate. In other words direct scoring plays in question and plays that rarely need an IR to begin with.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10465
(Past Year: 621)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Instant Replay in Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:26 am

Leave baseball just the way it is. As someone said, blue is right about 99 out of 100 times, and just like the Colorado play at the plate, most of the questionable calls can not even be figured out with replay playing at a frame by frame speed.
Image
raiders_umpire
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 27781
Joined: 14 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You will be missed, Robert Smeraldo.

Re: Instant Replay in Baseball

Postby J35J » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:47 am

raiders_umpire wrote:Leave baseball just the way it is. As someone said, blue is right about 99 out of 100 times, and just like the Colorado play at the plate, most of the questionable calls can not even be figured out with replay playing at a frame by frame speed.


I'm not sure I agree with any of that. 99 out of 100....not so much. And I would imagine only a select few could not be figured out by using IR.

The Cleveland GM was on Mike and Mike yesterday and he said he would be for it if it was only used for HR and foul/fair balls.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10465
(Past Year: 621)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Instant Replay in Baseball

Postby Yoda » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:53 am

J35J wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:Leave baseball just the way it is. As someone said, blue is right about 99 out of 100 times, and just like the Colorado play at the plate, most of the questionable calls can not even be figured out with replay playing at a frame by frame speed.


I'm not sure I agree with any of that. 99 out of 100....not so much. And I would imagine only a select few could not be figured out by using IR.

The Cleveland GM was on Mike and Mike yesterday and he said he would be for it if it was only used for HR and foul/fair balls.


No way they are 99% correct.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Instant Replay in Baseball

Postby 05worldserieschamps » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:04 pm

though i think instant replay has been great for football and good for basketball, it would be dumb for baseball. stop trying to make baseball like these other sports, its not. the game is different. i love how it is now and i think this technology crap will just screw it up.
Is pushing for President Obama to pass a law requiring all citizens to be Chicago White Sox fans and make October 1st "White Sox Day" where we all dress as our favorite player. It maybe socialist, but I don't care.
05worldserieschamps
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1059
Joined: 2 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Kentucky

Re: Instant Replay in Baseball

Postby Yoda » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:15 pm

05worldserieschamps wrote:though i think instant replay has been great for football and good for basketball, it would be dumb for baseball. stop trying to make baseball like these other sports, its not. the game is different. i love how it is now and i think this technology crap will just screw it up.


It would be dumb to make sure that calls being made are accurate?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Instant Replay in Baseball

Postby J35J » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:23 pm

Yoda wrote:
05worldserieschamps wrote:though i think instant replay has been great for football and good for basketball, it would be dumb for baseball. stop trying to make baseball like these other sports, its not. the game is different. i love how it is now and i think this technology crap will just screw it up.


It would be dumb to make sure that calls being made are accurate?



:-b
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10465
(Past Year: 621)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Instant Replay in Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:46 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:Leave baseball just the way it is. As someone said, blue is right about 99 out of 100 times, and just like the Colorado play at the plate, most of the questionable calls can not even be figured out with replay playing at a frame by frame speed.



I agree with Rump...oh god what did I just say
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Re: Instant Replay in Baseball

Postby great gretzky » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:28 pm

of course baseball isn't like the other sports, it's definitely more deliberate.

That being said, there are certain flash points that should be up for review, safe at home, home runs, etc., should be up for debate, as baseball is also more about timeliness than some of the other sports as well.

The Holliday play is obviosuly the catalyst, and ironically, it wouldn't have been solved with replay. Although, it's a shame, that with the "human element" we are willing to accept inaccuracies when another tool to fix it will be minimally intrusive and another tool in the name of accuracy.

I also think baseball umps have the hardest job sometimes, as the thing you are judging is a question of speed of perception, whereas hoops and football guys are asking an "either or" type question. Was there a foul, did he make the distance? did he hold? did he travel? Baseball umps obviously dictate the strike zone, and you can't bog the whole game down on that. But if you have a challenge system for safe/out calls, home runs, catches or half skips, you can at least get the critical things as close to being correct as possible.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3769
Joined: 3 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Washington, DC

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Johnesmype and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Apr. 24
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at Cleveland
(12:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
(12:35 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(1:08 pm)
St. Louis at NY Mets
(1:10 pm)
Minnesota at Tampa Bay
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Arizona at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
San Diego at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Baltimore at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
NY Yankees at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Oakland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Philadelphia at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact