POLL: Safe or Out: Matt Holliday - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

POLL: Safe or Out: Matt Holliday

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Safe? Out? Inconclusive? Interference?

Safe
14%
Out
43%
Inconclusive (Even with Replay)
41%
Interference
2%

Total votes : 63

Re: POLL: Safe or Out: Matt Holliday

Postby blankman » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:01 pm

acsguitar wrote:I don't think he did tag him aftewards

Thats not the point and its completely irrelevant. He was about to before the ump signaled safe. He the call not been made, he would have tagged him out before Holliday touched the plate (which Holliday clearly had no intention of doing).

To me, its inconclusive whether he touched the plate, but Barret has no business having his foot there to begin with when he's catching the fall on the opposite side of the plate.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:39 pm

theclefe wrote:
He was definitely out. Barrett wasn't blocking the plate. He just has a wide stance and was tapping his foot while waiting for the ball. There was plenty of room for Holliday to slide between his legs, but he is clearly a terrible slider. If you slide into someones foot then it isn't interference, rather a poor slide. Story continues.

Are you a Pads homer or something? First of all, he was never tagged. Had the ump clearly indicated he missed the bag, he might have had a shot to get back before he was tagged.

Second, his foot was STILL BLOCKING THE BAG. You can't obstruct a bag "partially" and then argue that the runner had other places to reach the plate. If you can draw a straight line from his hand to the bag and Barrett's foot was between that line, while he didn't have the ball, he was obstructing it. How is this such a hard concept? Holliday was entitled the FULL BASELINE until Barrett had the ball.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby blankman » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:54 pm

Where's wr and marver? :-?

I wonder what they thought of it.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby theclefe » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:51 pm

tinfoilxtouch wrote:
theclefe wrote:
He was definitely out. Barrett wasn't blocking the plate. He just has a wide stance and was tapping his foot while waiting for the ball. There was plenty of room for Holliday to slide between his legs, but he is clearly a terrible slider. If you slide into someones foot then it isn't interference, rather a poor slide. Story continues.

Are you a Pads homer or something? First of all, he was never tagged. Had the ump clearly indicated he missed the bag, he might have had a shot to get back before he was tagged.

Second, his foot was STILL BLOCKING THE BAG. You can't obstruct a bag "partially" and then argue that the runner had other places to reach the plate. If you can draw a straight line from his hand to the bag and Barrett's foot was between that line, while he didn't have the ball, he was obstructing it. How is this such a hard concept? Holliday was entitled the FULL BASELINE until Barrett had the ball.

Did no one get the "wide stance" reference? And I can argue that Holliday is a terrible slider, considering he completely missed home plate. Yes, he may had got back in time but his terrible slide sent him careening so far away from the plate that he knew any effort would be futile. Either that, or he was so depressed by his inept sliding that he didn't have the energy to get back. Look at the chart. It is science!

Also, I think you'll find I've never uttered a word about the Pads on this board, so if I am a homer I've been laying low waiting for this moment. Go Padres!
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby acsguitar » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:55 pm

blankman wrote:

Thats not the point and its completely irrelevant. He was about to before the ump signaled safe. He the call not been made, he would have tagged him out before Holliday touched the plate (which Holliday clearly had no intention of doing).

To me, its inconclusive whether he touched the plate, but Barret has no business having his foot there to begin with when he's catching the fall on the opposite side of the plate.

Blank I agree look how far away barrets leg is from where he catches the ball
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby acsguitar » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:03 pm

After looking again I gotta think thats a hand. Holliday did get spiked on that hand and you can see Barrett stepping on him. I think the high speed shot and angle make it seem unrealistically distorted but what else could that be.

acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby davidmarver » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:17 pm

That's about as dumb an argument as me saying that Holliday still hasn't touched home and is now clearly out of the baseline, along with Jaime Carroll. Does that make this 8-8 top 14th?

Look, the Padres weren't going to win anything with Brady Clark and Geoff Blum as everyday players, especially without Bradley and Cameron, so I don't particularly care.

But Holliday did not touch home plate. Whether or not it makes a difference, we don't know. Odds are the Rockies still win that game.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:06 am

davidmarver wrote:

That's about as dumb an argument as me saying that Holliday still hasn't touched home and is now clearly out of the baseline, along with Jaime Carroll. Does that make this 8-8 top 14th?

Look, the Padres weren't going to win anything with Brady Clark and Geoff Blum as everyday players, especially without Bradley and Cameron, so I don't particularly care.

But Holliday did not touch home plate. Whether or not it makes a difference, we don't know. Odds are the Rockies still win that game.

It wasn't an argument angry pants. I was simply responding to people saying he tagged him afterwards. I'm saying I don't think he did.

And I think that picture I have shows holliday touching home plate :) Or not :) If barrett caught the ball he's out. Barretts fault unwritten rule
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Deuce » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:53 pm

dclark0699 wrote:Even if he never touched the plate, Barrett didn't catch the ball and never tagged him.

You can see on the replay that the toe of Barrett's cleat is up in the air as Holliday slides in. Though it begins to come down as Holliday's hand goes for the plate. It is nearly impossible to tell if his hand got in there.

Holliday said he got stepped on and if he has any marks on the tops of his fingers I think that would be conclusive evidence.

There is only one man's opinion who counts for anything and he called him safe.

The umpires delayed call is the big question. I don't recall seeing Barrett tag Holliday after he retrieved the ball. If that is the case, the no call is inconclusive. Everyone went home, game over, SAFE.
The glass is neither half full nor half empty... It is simply a glass
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby djack909 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:26 pm

The moment that Hollidays hand was steped on without the catcher having control of the ball, the play is over. Safe, no matter if he touches the plate or is tagged by the catcher.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers