Where does the Rockies Game Rank In Terms of Greatest All Ti - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where does the Rockies Game Rank In Terms of Greatest All Ti

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Where does the Rockies Game Rank In Terms of Greatest All Ti

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:55 am

Hopefully this game means the start of a great postseason of ball being played.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kellythemick » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:15 am

Being an old man (50+) I've seen or heard a lot of great games (Gibson's shot with Dodgers, almost any game from the '75 series, game 6 or the '86 series, the Bird's 2nd 11 inning complete game in 1976, to name a few) but this one ranks right up there. Just glad I live on the West coast!
If it's obvious it's probably true.
kellythemick
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 22)

Postby dclark0699 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:38 am

Despite pushing past midnight, I watched this game from start to finish....and even being a huge baseball fan I hardly ever am able to do that with a game on tv. Of course, the Rockies are my favorite team, so this rank at the top of my list of best games.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:48 am

bdrotoronto wrote:
I think last night was a better game than either of them though, that was incredible. ;-D I think games 6/7 of the 2004 ALCS were right up there too.

I see where you're going from a historical perspective but from a game standpoint? I was at game 7 and it was a terrible game. The Yankees weren't alive. There literally was no pulse. The Red Sox left them lying by the side of the road in that game. It was literally 3 hours of pure torture for a Yankees fan.

As far as greatest games though, I'd have to say Games 4, 5 and (hate to say it) but ESPECIALLY 7 of the 2001 World Series. Man, that series had so much emotion. If only the Yankees held on to win. :-°

2003 ALCS Game 7 as well. Great back and forth action with a stunner at the end.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby JTWood » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:56 am

This game was certainly memorable, but I'm remembering it for lack of good play: Holliday's error, Julio's suckitude, Clark's terrible defense, & the bad officiating. I'll take the entire Yanks/DBacks World Series and the 2004 Divisional series over this game. Those games were played the right way.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Bloody Sox » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:22 am

Very entertaining game. I too was surprised at how quiet the fans seemed. I didn't catch the games on Saturday and Sunday, but all indications were that they were going nuts - maybe they ran out of gas!

As for the play at the plate - I really wish there was an overhead camera. From the angle behind Holliday coming down the line, he looked like he missed the plate by a mile, but you couldn't tell where his hand was when he hit Barrett's foot. From the back angle, you can see Barrett's foot move as Holliday's hand hits him, but the damn camera was aimed too high so you couldn't see if he got a finger on the corner of the plate as he made contact. In any event, the way the umpire made the call was retarded - why the hesitation?

Love the fact that the Rox made it in - they are on fire and their starters, relievers (minus Julio of course :-)), and bats are all clicking. I'd love to see a Rox-DBacks NLCS for the rights to (hopefully) play the BoSox in the World Series.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Y`s Guy » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:54 am

Holy crap, the Rockies won? Nice!!

It was so late here in the ET zone and I did a weak channel surf to see if the game was on Fox or the ESPNs and didn't see it. Didn't know TBS had it. Oh well.

Great to see the Rockies in the playoffs after everyone had them for last place. Great for Hurdle. I live near New Haven, CT where the Rockies initial AA team was.I have been a casual fan from afar.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 276)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby acsguitar » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:40 am

Snakes Gould wrote:coors field looked dead to me compared to the final game at CBP on sunday. even the people i was watching the game with mentioned how unenthusiastic looked tonight...

Well thats 100% wrong...I was at both games and this won the crowd was on fire
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby acsguitar » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:42 am

BTW ESPN is a joke of station and should be ashamed by only focusing on the play at the plate.

In all honesty his fingers looked like they may have went under his cleats.

Even instant replay would not have resulted in an out call UNLESS Barret had caught the ball
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:39 pm

LukeW9027 wrote:
kemper5 wrote:I agree, I have watched absolute stellar great geames in my lifetime over the span of 30 years when I truely took to baseball back in NH, this has got to be one of the all time greats. Serious people, for those who watched, did you ever expect it to finish like that? Off the best closer ever? I now live in Colo and have closely watched most Rox games this year and all I can say is there is some magic in that team. To win 13 of 14 to force a 1 game tie breaker, how many times since 78' Sox/Yanks has that happened? And to go back and forth like this and to watch Holliday race home to completely smash his face in the dirt on a head first slide to end the game..He IS MVP people..What a game!!!

He never touched the plate though... }:-)

Yep.

I thought it was over with Hoffman coming in.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers