2008 and beyond: Markakis vs Carlos Lee - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2008 and beyond: Markakis vs Carlos Lee

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

In 2008, would you rather have Markakis or Carlos Lee in a keeper/dynasty league?

Markakis
33%
Lee
67%

Total votes : 27

Re: 2008 and beyond: Markakis vs Carlos Lee

Postby Bogey9906 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:58 pm

I think Lee will still be slightly better in '08, probably a push in '09 and Markakis better after that. Lee is solid and steady, but Markakis could make a big jump in the next season or two. I'd go with Markakis in a keeper/dynasty league for sure.

Help with my Markakis question? viewtopic.php?t=315370
Bogey9906
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:44 pm

Bogey9906 wrote:I think Lee will still be slightly better in '08, probably a push in '09 and Markakis better after that. Lee is solid and steady, but Markakis could make a big jump in the next season or two. I'd go with Markakis in a keeper/dynasty league for sure.

Help with my Markakis question? viewtopic.php?t=315370

I agree with most of this. I like Lee and will probably grab him first in next years drafts but after that its up in the air for me...which means I'd probably take the younger guy if it were a keeper/dynasty league. I haven't been very high on Markakis until I really got to looking at how he finished this year and its really quite impressive overall.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:06 pm

I'd take Lee but I expect Markakis to go a bit later than Lee and be a better value.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 451)

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:23 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I'd take Lee but I expect Markakis to go a bit later than Lee and be a better value.

I agree with this as well.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby great gretzky » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:54 am

Man, Markakis was a key cog in my winning season (which paid for an xobox CON halo, tiger woods and 'skate') so I did alright for myself. But at the end of the day, this is carlos lee and then some. Carlos is one of those guys who the first round isn't appropriate, but the second round sometimes feels like a steal.

I', all over the greek oriole, but those guys who depend on steals for their value--unless they are obviosuly commited to them, don't seem worth it to me outside of the season. (I love trading for them ...) but honestly, while it seems absurdly close, and I commend people who bet on this, lee's name carries more value -- even if you don't realize the stats, lee owners can trade on the value, but markakis has had one year of this, lee hasn't.

Otherwise, this is a monster comparison, and one I will keep in mind, because I think there will be one point five to two rounds difference in drafting these two.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:47 am

I think everyone can agree that Lee is going to cost you a much higher draft pick even though their stats are not that far off from each other but what I like about Lee "right now" is that he is a lock for .300/30/100 while Markakis kind of surprised everyone. Can he do it again next year? In a keeper league, Markakis might be a better value pick now, but I think you get a little more out of Lee if you don't take him too early
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers