Mac users - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Mac users

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mac users

Postby Yoda » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:47 pm

Does anyone have a new Mac? My wife wants to get a Mac but I do not want to buy a new router, printer, etc . Can you use Mac OS with all the PC peripherals? Thanks. ;-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mac users

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:54 pm

Most peripherals work just fine. Routers, definitely. Printers, almost always.

Monitors are the big one. Some monitors aren't so fond of Macs, but you're still usually good there, too.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:40 pm

yup most of them should work.

if your printer is old, and uses parallel port (LPT1), then you need to get a USB one because that's the only one macs take.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:45 pm

I have a Microsoft four-button wheel mouse plugged into my Mac and it works fine.

I have a [insert brand name here] split keyboard with about a billion buttons and functions, and it was plug-and-play with the Mac.

I have a Samsung monitor that was plug-and-play as well.

My camera card works seamlessly with the Mac too.

Basically what I'm getting at is that I've been a dedicated Mac user at home for the past 15 years and I have yet to find something I cannot do on my Mac, although I must admit I do not play games. Well, except for online freebies - I play tons of those.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby gfantasy » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:04 pm

speaking of macs...im thinking of picking up a mac book. ive only been on pc but hear great things about macs and need a smaller laptop to take all around. any suggestions/advice?
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby knapplc » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:17 pm

gfantasy wrote:speaking of macs...im thinking of picking up a mac book. ive only been on pc but hear great things about macs and need a smaller laptop to take all around. any suggestions/advice?

Do you need a Mac? I'm all for Mac, don't get me wrong, but for the money you're far better off getting a Dell or a Gateway. There are some real advantages about Mac, but cost is not one of them. If you can afford it and don't mind spending the extra money, then you will be very happy with your purchase. But if money is an issue, you may want to consider a PC.

I just bought my wife a Gateway notebook for $750 this summer. For that price we got a combo drive, a beautiful 15" monitor, a 360GB disk and 2GB RAM, wireless, etc. I doubt you could find anything comparable in a Mac for less than twice that.

Just to consider.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:41 pm

knapplc wrote:
gfantasy wrote:speaking of macs...im thinking of picking up a mac book. ive only been on pc but hear great things about macs and need a smaller laptop to take all around. any suggestions/advice?

Do you need a Mac? I'm all for Mac, don't get me wrong, but for the money you're far better off getting a Dell or a Gateway. There are some real advantages about Mac, but cost is not one of them. If you can afford it and don't mind spending the extra money, then you will be very happy with your purchase. But if money is an issue, you may want to consider a PC.

I just bought my wife a Gateway notebook for $750 this summer. For that price we got a combo drive, a beautiful 15" monitor, a 360GB disk and 2GB RAM, wireless, etc. I doubt you could find anything comparable in a Mac for less than twice that.

Just to consider.

exactly.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Yoda » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:50 pm

I'm probably going to end up buying a Mac Pro for Christmas with a 30" monitor. It's going to be like $4000.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:54 pm

yup if you got the extra $$ and want to see what the big deal is about, then you might want to.

if you're really interested in their iLife package, and if that's the type of computing you mainly are into, then check it out.

however, i warn you that THIS particular site has problems (page formatting) with safari browser on macs.

if you are really into windows and still need to run stuff on windows, remember you can install win XP on macs too now.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:45 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:yup if you got the extra $$ and want to see what the big deal is about, then you might want to.

if you're really interested in their iLife package, and if that's the type of computing you mainly are into, then check it out.

however, i warn you that THIS particular site has problems (page formatting) with safari browser on macs.

if you are really into windows and still need to run stuff on windows, remember you can install win XP on macs too now.

ive heard people say that it really slows everything down and that there's some flaws. im not really sure myself.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

Next

Return to General Talk