Happy anniversary Paul Henderson and the Goal of the Century - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Happy anniversary Paul Henderson and the Goal of the Century

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Happy anniversary Paul Henderson and the Goal of the Century

Postby mweir145 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:52 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
I know that Mookie is old and probably watched that as a senior in high school, but aren't you in college? How would you know it was the greatest moment ever? ;-7

We've been taught as much throughout our lives. A huge moment in Canadian culture. Do you have a problem with me saying that?

Apparently you totally missed the sarcastic smiley. :-b

That means sarcasm?!?! You think I would know these things. "Tongue in cheek," eh...well there it is.

Seriously though, is Mookie actually that old? He would be as old as my dad, then. :-b
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Big Train » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:52 am

Mookie4ever wrote:35 years ago today Paul Henderson scored the goal of the century and the Canadians.

In the first ever series between Canada and the USSR, at the height of the Cold War, in Moscow, with one of their managers being restrained by Russian police, Henderson scored with 34 seconds left to give Team Canada the win.

Everyone remembers that Henderson scored the game winner in game 8, but a lot of people don't recall that Henderson also scored the game winning goal in games 6 and 7.

Definitely Canada's greatest moment on the ice, but I have to put this one near the top as well :-D (love it when they turn off the lights to try and control the situation) :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jZMEE7tlq6A
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:56 am

mweir145 wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
I know that Mookie is old and probably watched that as a senior in high school, but aren't you in college? How would you know it was the greatest moment ever? ;-7

Seriously though, is Mookie actually that old? He would be as old as my dad, then. :-b

jerks. MID 30s :^
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:25 am

Mookie4ever wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:

jerks. MID 30s :^

HAHAHA. Yeah, right. :-D

I actually never really understood why that goal was/is such a big deal in Canadian culture. I know it was from the 1972 Summit Series, but I could never grasp the importance of that series. Perhaps I'll do some research, it's about time. :-°
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby The Big Train » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:13 am

kimchi_chigae wrote:I actually never really understood why that goal was/is such a big deal in Canadian culture. I know it was from the 1972 Summit Series, but I could never grasp the importance of that series. Perhaps I'll do some research, it's about time. :-°

It’s probably a combination of a few factors. One is simply the overall importance of hockey in Canadian culture in general. Most outside observers recognize the importance of hockey in Canada but don’t fully appreciate our emotional attachment to the game. We literally think of it as “our game.” You are conscious of it from a very early age in most cases. As Brian Burke (GM of the Anaheim Ducks) once noted, in Canada hockey isn’t a game – it’s a cult.

Now take that sentiment and place it in the context of the Cold War. The ’72 Summit Series was a microcosm of that period and the tension that came with it. We all hated the commies, Reds, Ruskies (whatever derogatory term you could come up with to describe the Soviets.) It was our system versus theirs and if we weren’t going to settle it with nukes, we sure as hell were going to settle it on the ice! :-b A bunch of commies beating us at our national game? Never! (Not surprisingly, once the Cold War ended, the intensity of the Canada-Russia rivalry faded quite quickly).

Canada has also historically suffered from stronger regional and cultural/linguistic cleavages than the United States where a civil war was fought to decide the north-south issue. At the time of the ’72 Series, Canada was a relatively young country with lingering ties to Britain and few national events/experiences that bound the country together. Corny as it sounds, the ’72 hockey series was one of those events. On September 28, 1972, the entire country literally came to a standstill. People stayed home from work or came home early. Crowds gathered everywhere a TV was nearby. If you didn’t have a TV, you listened on the radio. Kids were pulled from their classrooms and placed in front of a TV set in their school gymnasium. The politicians campaigning in the 1972 federal election stopped to watch the game. It was an intense moment of nationalist pride not seen since the end of WWII. Old newspaper article from the day: "The country goes wild."
http://www.1972summitseries.com/SimcoeR ... 0Wild.html

Some old CBC clips from the period. (Clip number 7 “God is a Canadian” is good for a laugh.) http://archives.cbc.ca/IDD-1-41-318/spo ... it_series/
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:24 pm

And I had no idea you were Canadian Big Train. ;-D

I guess I don't need to do a research after all. :*) Thanks for the enlightenment.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:14 am

The Big Train wrote:Now take that sentiment and place it in the context of the Cold War. The ’72 Summit Series was a microcosm of that period and the tension that came with it. We all hated the commies, Reds, Ruskies (whatever derogatory term you could come up with to describe the Soviets.) It was our system versus theirs and if we weren’t going to settle it with nukes, we sure as hell were going to settle it on the ice! :-b A bunch of commies beating us at our national game? Never! (Not surprisingly, once the Cold War ended, the intensity of the Canada-Russia rivalry faded quite quickly).

Since when did Canada pretended they fought our wars? :-b

Wait, wait, Canada has nukes? ;-7

The Big Train wrote:At the time of the ’72 Series, Canada was a relatively young country with lingering ties to Britain and few national events/experiences that bound the country together. Corny as it sounds, the ’72 hockey series was one of those events.

Erm, don't forget France. :-b

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Previous

Return to General Talk