Postby absolut typical » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:59 pm

That sure wasn't pretty...
absolut typical
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Francisco Liriano

Postby Fantasy Guru » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:04 pm

I could have sold him at a high price before the season started.

...is it time to drop him?
ImageYeah.. this "fantasy guru" thing is just a user name, folks.
Fantasy Guru
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby zevon » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:15 pm

Fantasy Guru wrote:I could have sold him at a high price before the season started.

...is it time to drop him?

I'm wondering the absolute same thing.
Anybody think he might get DL'd? If so he may be worth stashing , otherwise benching/dropping are the only two options I see.

This blurb from Yahoo wasn't real optimistic, and it came before he got shelled today:

"Apr 24
LHP Francisco Liriano needs to demonstrate better control if he wants to remain in the Twins' rotation, manager Ron Gardenhire said. "We're not running a tryout camp here -- we want him to go and get major-league hitters out, that's why we brought him up here. But we want to see progression, we want to see him getting better," Gardenhire said of the left-hander, 0-2 with a 6.52 ERA in two starts so far. "If it starts going where he's not getting better, where he's staying the same, we might have to make adjustments." "
zevon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jfg » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:03 pm

He's not going to be on the DL. There's a strong possibility he'll get sent down to work on command though, which should have been their decision in the first place.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 84)

Postby zevon » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:15 pm

jfg wrote:He's not going to be on the DL. There's a strong possibility he'll get sent down to work on command though, which should have been their decision in the first place.

I only pose the DL question because so many times a guy gets blown up and out of nowhere seems to hit it the next day.
I think they definitely need to get him some work in the minors, he's still pretty much ahead of the "normal" recovery schedule.
zevon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby saemick » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:42 pm

I think that "getting blown up" is an understatement for what happened today:

0.2 IP
5 H
3 BB
5 ER

... That's pathetic!

I drafted this guy in the 12th as an "upside" pitcher. Now if he doesn't go on the DL, back to the minors, or do something to get his control and his head better he's gonna be a FA soon!
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Fantasy Addict » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:24 pm

No one knows how to tread regarding this guy. I will help.

I said before: Trade this guy after his first great outing in spring training. I also said to not draft him on '08, and let this headache be drafted by someone else. I am an expert on Liriano because I drafted him in '06 and reaped the bennefits. Then drafted him in '08 and am now reaping the pain. Did I spell reaping correctly? Oh well....

If he is still on your team today my advice is this:

Don't have him in your starting lineup. There is a lot of media hype regarding this guy. The next time he is in a positive lime light is when you offer him up to the struggling team in your league who lacks pitching. He will be desperate and will give you his third from the bottom of his total lineup (hitters included) for him. This will be better than dropping him for some one on your league's free agent list. If you are that team who is last in your league right now and is weak in pitching, then hold onto him, but dont start him until you see a positive trend that includes 3 strong pitching outings.

Good Luck!
Be the change you want to see in this world.
Fantasy Addict
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Montana » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:06 am

Fantasy Addict wrote:No one knows how to tread regarding this guy. I will help.

I said before: Trade this guy after his first great outing in spring training. I also said to not draft him on '08, and let this headache be drafted by someone else. I am an expert on Liriano because I drafted him in '06 and reaped the bennefits. Then drafted him in '08 and am now reaping the pain. Did I spell reaping correctly? Oh well....

If he is still on your team today my advice is this:

Don't have him in your starting lineup. There is a lot of media hype regarding this guy. The next time he is in a positive lime light is when you offer him up to the struggling team in your league who lacks pitching. He will be desperate and will give you his third from the bottom of his total lineup (hitters included) for him. This will be better than dropping him for some one on your league's free agent list. If you are that team who is last in your league right now and is weak in pitching, then hold onto him, but dont start him until you see a positive trend that includes 3 strong pitching outings.

Good Luck!

No Offence.......but that's terrible advice.

1st off, anyone who drafted this guy to come in and be effective right away, didn't enter into their Liriano "purchase" under the proper mindset. Anyone thinking he was just going to revert to 06' form right away, and blow the doors down right out of the gate, deserve what they are getting from him.

Those that drafted him, with the thought that it could take a good couple of months for him to get straightened out.....even until after the all-star break.........and had him benched accordingly aren't sweating this.

He's an investment, just like those that drafted a Colby Rasmus or a Jay Bruce..........you're giving up a roster spot, with the hopes that you get a solid and very worthwile return down the road.

Liriano's value will come in the second half of this year..........and those that hang onto him, will be glad they did. He'll put up strong sub 4 ERA, sub 1.30 Whip, 9+K/9.....while recording a good half dozen or more wins. Positioning himself to be a worthwhile keeper, for those that took a flyer on him this year.
Montana
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Fantasy Addict » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:07 am

Montana wrote:
Fantasy Addict wrote:
No Offence.......but that's terrible advice.

1st off, anyone who drafted this guy to come in and be effective right away, didn't enter into their Liriano "purchase" under the proper mindset. Anyone thinking he was just going to revert to 06' form right away, and blow the doors down right out of the gate, deserve what they are getting from him.

Those that drafted him, with the thought that it could take a good couple of months for him to get straightened out.....even until after the all-star break.........and had him benched accordingly aren't sweating this.

He's an investment, just like those that drafted a Colby Rasmus or a Jay Bruce..........you're giving up a roster spot, with the hopes that you get a solid and very worthwile return down the road.

Liriano's value will come in the second half of this year..........and those that hang onto him, will be glad they did. He'll put up strong sub 4 ERA, sub 1.30 Whip, 9+K/9.....while recording a good half dozen or more wins. Positioning himself to be a worthwhile keeper, for those that took a flyer on him this year.

I know I ranted a bit there, but I am a Liriano victim who was charmed into taking him in the 11th round. I knew there would be rough outings, but last night was rediculous. I have no hope that he will be half of what he was after the all-star break. I think he might be the Liriano of old next year. It's going to take another offseason to hone his skills and learn to pitch with a slower fastball. I am just offering advice to those who hold the same sentiment regarding Liriano this year, and are wondering what in the world they can do to move on.

NOTE: If you are in a keeper league he will be worth a lot to the team out of contention for the playoffs as a keeper for next year. I scored with him last year in this manner. Of course he didnt pitch and therefore didnt have 11.32 ERA 2.7WHIP .366 BAA to his name.

Personally I will be stashing him on the bench for the foreseeable future, and as soon as I think he will be worth something, he is off my team.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!
Be the change you want to see in this world.
Fantasy Addict
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Inukchuk » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:00 pm

Remember this post?

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=320500

There is no such thing as a stone cold lock... :-t
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates