Francisco Liriano - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Francisco Liriano

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Francisco Liriano

Postby Big Game JLo » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:29 am

Here's the latest update I could find about Liriano. I'm interested in anymore updates from the Cafe members for his status and effectiveness for next season. I need to know if I should make some trades in order to make room for Liriano.

Minneapolis Star Tribune (September 02, 2007):
Liriano looks promising in rehab

Francisco Liriano says "everything is perfect" as he recovers from Tommy John surgery on his elbow.

The Twins are getting a good look during this homestand at someone who could be a part of their 2008 rotation — and he's not even active.

Lefthander Francisco Liriano, recovering from Tommy John surgery in November, is in town for another checkup after spending most of the summer rehabilitating in Fort Myers, Fla.

One look at Liriano shows that he's taken his rehab seriously.

"Everything is perfect," he said. "I haven't been feeling any soreness or any pain."

Liriano is now throwing from 140 feet as he begins to rebuild his arm strength. If everything goes well, he will throw lightly from a mound on Friday so he can get used to being on the mound again.

Don't confuse that with pitching. Liriano isn't scheduled to have a real bullpen session until November.

"If everything goes the way it is going now, I think I will be ready by spring training," he said.

Liriano sat down with the Twins on Friday to map out his next several months. He will spend the entire offseason in Fort Myers and not pitch winter ball. He'll report to instructional league, which begins Sept. 18, and participate in drills with other pitchers.

If his November bullpen sessions go without a hitch, he could arrive in spring training with a chance of breaking camp with the club. There has been talk of tinkering with Liriano's mechanics, but pitching coach Rick Anderson said it might be some minor things to eliminate Liriano's violent follow-through.

"We had a meeting [and there's] no problems at all," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. "He feels fantastic, and we want to keep him that way."
Big Game JLo
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Francisco Liriano

Postby BlueBandit24 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:37 pm

As far as I know the Twins are planning on having him in the rotation before the All-Star break next year. His rehab has gone as well as it can so far and hopefully he doesn't have any setbacks. It would be great if he could start the year in rotation but that seams a little unreasonable considering the time it would take him to get back into it. I'd say a stint in the minors or out of the pen and then he should be back, but not quite what he was last year.

Kudos to GiantsFan14 for the sig.
BlueBandit24
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:42 am

Liriano Update
From Rotoworld:
Francisco Liriano (elbow) threw 30 pitches from a mound once again Monday and is expected to be at full strength for spring training.

"I don't want to get too excited and say he's going to be our No. 2 or 3 starter," Twins pitching coach Rick Anderson said. "A lot has to happen before that comes around. I'm not really penciling him in at anything yet until we get to spring training and see how he's doing." Liriano is expected to begin throwing live batting practice in November.Oct. 2 - 9:30 am et
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby auclairkeithbc » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:53 pm

stay away, unless you are in a league with people that have never heard of liriano.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SodaPopinsky » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:58 pm

auclairkeithbc wrote:stay away, unless you are in a league with people that have never heard of liriano.

Agreed. I'm thinking people are going to reach for him, especially those who had him in '06 and are looking for similar results. However I'll be staying away in 2007.
"I can't drive, so im going to walk all over you." - Soda Popinsky
SodaPopinsky
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Yoda » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:11 pm

He won't be worth the risk in 08. Not a lot of guys come back from TJ and be full strength right away. He was considered an injury risk even before the TJ so there is no guarantee that he will be able to stay healthy for an entire year anyway.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby TurdFerguson » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:24 pm

Any news on him of late?
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Loreti27 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:42 pm

He is a big-time injury-risk sleeper for 2008. The hype alone will have him drafted among the top 30 starting pitchers on Draft Day, but there's extreme risk involved with doing that before seeing him pitch in Spring Training. In a perfect world, you're drafting a top 10 Fantasy ace in the middle rounds.
Loreti27
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Location: The # 7 Train heading for the Willet's Point / Shea Stadium Platform

Postby Kitaro » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:10 pm

In my keeper, I picked him up on waivers late last season hoping to see in spring he is ready.

High risk/high reward if I keep him, but I don't have any of the top 20SPs in a 10 team keeper.
Kitaro
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby whitesox04champs » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:08 pm

He's going for $21 right now in my 20 team auction league ($75 buyin so noboys messin around)...Thoughts?
whitesox04champs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates