Taking over as commish of keeper! Need help with keeper rul - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Taking over as commish of keeper! Need help with keeper rul

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Taking over as commish of keeper! Need help with keeper rul

Postby jonance » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:54 pm

Hi,

Our commissioner of a 1st year keeper league has gone MIA. I have volunteered to step up and take over. Below is the "constitution" he drew up before the beginning of the year. He did a pretty good job with the exception one of the most important aspects, the keepers and drafting.

I need to find a good and easy way to handle this. As you can see he stated you can have 7 MLB keepers. However, some managers took this to mean "up to 7". So what should i do here. If we MAKE them keep 7, there may be a riot however the draft will be easy with everyone starting at the same time. If you can keep between, say, 4-7...i guess we would do a supplemental draft? Would the teams that kept 4 start in round 1, then the teams keeping 5, etc.? How would you order these rounds, and the entire draft?

I want to make sure this is fair too, and nobody is able to take advantage. So with that said, what do you all think I should do here? I'd love to hear from folks in leagues that do something similar here....i've seen about losing draft picks, but that all seems a bit hard to keep track of with trades...so let me have it. I need some help here so we can start thinking about next year (already!). Constitution is below...thanks in advance...John

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

I. Mission Statement
A. To have fun playing fantasy baseball
B. To not compromise the fun of others through bad sportsmanship

II. League Format
A. H2H, 6x6 scoring, keeper format
B. 16 teams is the target, but might change according to demand. The number of teams will always be even.
C. Offensive categories: H, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS
D. Pitching categories: W, Hld, SV, K, ERA, WHIP
E. Minimum innings pitched needed will be set at 30 IP.
F. All in-season activity conducted via Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball

III. Roster Sizes and Positions
A. 25 man MLB roster
B. 6 man Prospects roster
C. Hitting Positions - C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, RF, OF, DH
D. Pitching Positions - SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P
E. Bench Slots - 8
F. 2 DL slots

IV. Prospect Eligibility
A. Standard MLB rookie definition (130AB, 50IP)
B. Prospects need to be transfered from the Prospect roster to the MLB roster as soon as they lose rookie eligibility. Prior to that, the commissioner will restrict that player to the owning team.
C. Nippon League (Japan Pro Baseball) players are not eligible for the Prospects draft or the roster despite technically being rookies.
D. Prospects may be prematurely transfered to the MLB roster to make room for additional prospects, however if the promoted player isn't in Yahoo!'s registry that team must keep one of the 25 roster spots vacant.

V. Deadlines
A. trading deadline - TBD
B. MLB keeper deadline - TBD
C. prospects keeper deadline - TBD

VI. Keepers
A. 7 MLB keepers
B. 4 Prospect keepers
C. MLB Keepers can only be kept for 3 consecutive years
D. Prospect Keepers can be kept for 5 years. But once they lose ROY eligibility, must be retained as MLB keepers. Their 3 year MLB Keeper clock begins following the year they lose eligibility.

VII. Trades
A. In season trades can be reviewed and/or vetoed via the Yahoo system! Off-season trades should be posted on the "Trades for Review" board, and will be reviewed for 1 week before being considered completed.
B. In the event there is sufficient evidence for collusion, any veto or trade approval may be cancelled by the commissioner.
C. All players, prospects, and draft picks may be traded.

VIII. Draft
A. MLB draft will not include players with rookie status (less than 130 at bats or 50 innings pitched). These players are reserved for the minor league draft.

IX. Roster Changes
A. Standard 2 day waiver period applies to all dropped players and all players not initially drafted (after the league is setup at Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball).
B. Roster changes will be daily.

X. Adding Unclaimed Prospects
A. Unclaimed prospects promoted to their parent club are free agents and can be claimed either through the waiver process or just a straight add (depending on their status).
B. No prospect drafted during the current year may be claimed, even if they're immediately promoted to their parent club and contributing.

XI. Other Rules
A. All Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball rules applicable here.
B. If you have a suggestion, just make a reply to this post. Before we begin the draft, this Constitution has to be ratified by at least half the members.
jonance
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: 35)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Taking over as commish of keeper! Need help with keeper rul

Postby stevethumb » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:36 am

seems pretty clear to me...under keepers it says "7 MLB keepers" .. not 6 or 5 or up to 7..specifically 7..
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby jonance » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:21 am

I thought so too...but it seems the majority in the league did not and they feel they should be able to keep less if wanted. So what are my options if we do that? Just wondering the best way to handle next years draft if we do allow a choice.
jonance
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby wynams » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:17 am

The only fair way to do this is to just back off from the final rounds everyones keeper picks ... if someone is keeping all 7, they skip their last 7 picks (and pick their keepers) ... if someone is keeping 0, they pick any 7 remaining FAs they can. Unsure what you use to draft ... if live Yahoo! you might run in to an issue if doing this on the honor system and someone made a mistake.

Our keeper league has variable # of keepers, but we auction as opposed to draft.

Kudos on your decision to interpret this with an open ear to how your league interpreted it ... you, IMHO, are off to a great start as a open-minded, fair commish
wynams
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:41 pm

wynams wrote:The only fair way to do this is to just back off from the final rounds everyones keeper picks ... if someone is keeping all 7, they skip their last 7 picks (and pick their keepers) ... if someone is keeping 0, they pick any 7 remaining FAs they can. Unsure what you use to draft ... if live Yahoo! you might run in to an issue if doing this on the honor system and someone made a mistake.

Our keeper league has variable # of keepers, but we auction as opposed to draft.

Kudos on your decision to interpret this with an open ear to how your league interpreted it ... you, IMHO, are off to a great start as a open-minded, fair commish

I disagree. In leagues that I run that allow for "up to" a set amount of keepers, I just draft as usual. If you keep 4, that takes up your first 4 picks. If you keep 1, that player is your 1st rounder and you start drafting in the 2nd round. There is no reason for someone to start off at a disadvantage (less keepers) and then have to fill the remaining spots with FA after the entire draft.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby jonance » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:58 pm

But is this too much of an advantage?

Lets say i keep 7 and someone else keeps 0. That means they get 7 draft picks before i even get one, doesn't seem there would be anyone left by the time i get to pick. Especially if i keep 7 and most others don't. So i am kind of being penalized for having a good 7 to keep. The other issue here is that we're dissolving 4 teams so all their players will be in the draft.

So which way is best do you think?
jonance
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:06 pm

jonance wrote:But is this too much of an advantage?

Lets say i keep 7 and someone else keeps 0. That means they get 7 draft picks before i even get one, doesn't seem there would be anyone left by the time i get to pick. Especially if i keep 7 and most others don't. So i am kind of being penalized for having a good 7 to keep. The other issue here is that we're dissolving 4 teams so all their players will be in the draft.

So which way is best do you think?

Personally, the rules seem pretty clear to me. It says 7 and not up to 7. That said, if your league is truly up in arms, put it to a vote. Go with the majority. If you decide to allow for less than 7 keepers, set a minimum as well. At least at first. Maybe something like at least 5 but no more than 7. Allowing to keep less than 7 allows the lesser teams to improve quicker. That makes for a more competitive league, IMHO.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby wynams » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:36 pm

Lofunzo wrote:There is no reason for someone to start off at a disadvantage (less keepers) and then have to fill the remaining spots with FA after the entire draft.

Well, you can either penalize the teams keeping more or penalize the teams keeping less ... to me, it makes more sense to reward those who picked better (who are keeping more players) than to reward those who drafted less awesomely in the first place. "GREAT JOB LAST YEAR GUY! YOU PICKED B PHILLIPS, M ORDONEZ, (and 5 other studs) ... now let the guy who picked M Ramirez, C Carpenter, V Wells, A Jones, P Konerko, B Hall and R Harden keep 0 and essentially get to pick 7 times before you" ... an extremist example, but hopefully it illustrates my point. If the goal is league parity, then I would be inclined to agree with you and tax the rich ... if the goal is either to reward the good managers, then I stand by my recommendation to back keeper picks off the tail end of the draft.

That's just me, and you make a valid point. We just happen to disagree.

I do agree 100% that this should be a moot point ... the rule clearly states 7 ... no more, no less ...

Whatever you decide to do OP, just take it to a vote ... majority rules
wynams
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Return to Commissioner's Corner