Etiquette for 1st Place Team - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Etiquette for 1st Place Team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Etiquette for 1st Place Team

Postby Papo57 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:29 am

This is only my second year in fantasy (I'm the Commissioner), so I'm unsure of the proper etiquette. First off, I am in a 10-team, 7x7 roto league (not H2H). With a week left in the season, I am comfortably in 1st place by 30 points. The current 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th place teams are battling for the final 2nd & 3rd place spots, and are only separated by about 3 points. For the past several weeks they have been swapping positions on a daily basis.

My question is whether or not I am "at fault" for continuing to make transactions instead of sitting back, letting the other guys duke it out and collect my inevitable winnings in a week. The reason I continue making transactions is because I feel as though I owe it to the league to do so because we each invested $100 to participate. As you know, my play (whether it's doing nothing or continuing to be active) has a direct affect on the outcome of the next 4 guys battling for 2nd & 3rd place. By me still actively playing, it may negatively affect the current 2nd & 3rd place teams. By me stopping to play, it may negatively affect the current 4th & 5th place teams. Either way, there is a perception that I'm screwing someone, so I may as well continue playing hard until the end, in my opinion.

I am not making unnecessary transactions. I am continuing to try and get better in the categories of Wins and Holds, where I am currently in a tie with other teams. It's not like I'm way ahead in Saves, for example, but still adding Closers from the free agent list and making them unavailable to those who need them.

Your feedback is appreciated.

P.S. - Our league's payout is 1st (60%), 2nd (30%), 3rd (10%). I did not establish any tie-breakers, so what happens if the final 2 spots are taken up by a 4-way tie? Do I just divide 40% of the remaining pot by the 4 tied teams, or is there a standard way to find the 2nd & 3rd place finishers from those 4 teams?

THANKS!!!!
Papo57
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Etiquette for 1st Place Team

Postby stevethumb » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:51 am

keep making your trannies...you are looking after the best interests of your team...

as far as the tiebreaker, the standard tiebreaker in roto is whichever team is ahead in the most categories would win finish highest..if there is still a tie after that the leader in the most % categories would win..this is according to the original roto league rules of glenn waggoner and daniel okrent
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby chris8 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:31 am

stevethumb wrote:as far as the tiebreaker, the standard tiebreaker in roto is whichever team is ahead in the most categories would win finish highest..if there is still a tie after that the leader in the most % categories would win..this is according to the original roto league rules of glenn waggoner and daniel okrent

That's true, but I don't think he can do it in this case.

Since there weren't any rules about tiebreakers set in place at the start of the year, I think he has to divide the pot equally between any teams who finish level on points, and then make sure rules about tiebreakers are in place for 2008.
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 110)

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:49 pm

Do you not have a max games played in your roto league??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby mak1277 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:48 am

chris8 wrote:
stevethumb wrote:as far as the tiebreaker, the standard tiebreaker in roto is whichever team is ahead in the most categories would win finish highest..if there is still a tie after that the leader in the most % categories would win..this is according to the original roto league rules of glenn waggoner and daniel okrent

That's true, but I don't think he can do it in this case.

Since there weren't any rules about tiebreakers set in place at the start of the year, I think he has to divide the pot equally between any teams who finish level on points, and then make sure rules about tiebreakers are in place for 2008.

I agree with this. If there aren't rules in place at the beginning, you just have to, unfortunately, call it a tie. Or, you can let the tied teams come up with their own solution. It's too late for this now, but in one of my leagues, I tied for first. We did a playoff fantasy league as the tie breaker because there were no specific rules.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby converge241 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:48 am

obviously the season is over and all but just to chime in for others to use for 08

yes never take the foot off the gas so to speak. in roto everyones stats affected everyone elses so you owe it to stay active even with a lead

and yes if theres no set tiebreakers keep it as a tie

next year either designate something like avg or era as the tiebreaker or just clarify your rules to say "anything not specified in the rules will be under our host site's rules" that way your site would determine the tiebreaker
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 98)

Return to Commissioner's Corner