Mike Gundy's Press Confernce - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Mike Gundy's Press Confernce

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mike Gundy's Press Confernce

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:29 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoMmbUmKN0E

Wondering all your thoughts on this, I personally agree with what he's saying 100%, but so far he's already coming under heat, the University is separating themselves from the comments, but it's nice to know, at least for me that he has stated that he stands by his comments.

Link to the article

http://newsok.com/article/3131543
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mike Gundy's Press Confernce

Postby Old_Style » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:08 pm

I just saw a clip from the interview on PTI a few minutes ago. I'm not sure what was written in the article, but I have to agree with Wilbon on this point. There are certain things that you can say about professional players that shouldn't be said about amateur or collegiate athletes, in particular. It's good to see him stick up for his player even if it was a little over the top.

I also got a chuckle when he said, "Come after me. I'm a man. I'm 40."
It reminds me of some Will Ferrell skit.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:14 pm

Anyone have a link to the article he's talking about?
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:10 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:Anyone have a link to the article he's talking about?

It's in my original post O:-)

___

It essentially questions his mental fortitude and toughness, it paints him as mentally and physically weak.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JTWood » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:42 pm

The reporter has asked Gundy to point out the inaccuracies in her story.

He's refused.

Oh, and Women Sportswriter's Assoc. is mad. Woo hoo.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Yoda » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:13 pm

Good for him. Screw that reporter. She doesn't represent all journalists.

What the hell does she know about football anyway? She knows about 'gutting it out'? Did she put on a helmet and a pair of shoulder pads and 'gutted it out' when she was injured in division I football? Doubtful.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:10 pm

Yoda wrote:Good for him. Screw that reporter. She doesn't represent all journalists.

What the hell does she know about football anyway? She knows about 'gutting it out'? Did she put on a helmet and a pair of shoulder pads and 'gutted it out' when she was injured in division I football? Doubtful.

You dont have to be able to do something--or have done it--in order to be a critic of it. That's like saying that unless you've ever tried to umpire a major league baseball game you can't be critical of an ump who blows a call.

After reading the original story, I don't see anything in there that's out of line. The only thing that's even borderline is how she talks about him being fed by his mom after the game, but as long as that's factually correct, I don't mind her including it. It tells the reader a lot about him.

If anything in her story is not factually correct, then that changes things, but at this point it's basically her word against the coaches, and I'm not inclined to believe him over her just because he said so.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:43 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
Yoda wrote:Good for him. Screw that reporter. She doesn't represent all journalists.

You dont have to be able to do something--or have done it--in order to be a critic of it. That's like saying that unless you've ever tried to umpire a major league baseball game you can't be critical of an ump who blows a call.

After reading the original story, I don't see anything in there that's out of line. The only thing that's even borderline is how she talks about him being fed by his mom after the game, but as long as that's factually correct, I don't mind her including it. It tells the reader a lot about him.

If anything in her story is not factually correct, then that changes things, but at this point it's basically her word against the coaches, and I'm not inclined to believe him over her just because he said so.

I've had a lot of bad experience with reporters who screw up stories. It just ticks me off when they sit there and act like they have all the info and know everything that they are talking about like this girl. We don't know who is right in this case unless we have inside information but the chances of her being wrong are far, far greater than not.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby sportsaddict » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:31 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:

I just read the original article for the first time.

That was despicable. What an awful, awful article. That was absolutely the biggest piece of trash I've ever read in my life. This woman has absolutely no idea what she's talking about. It makes me sick just reading this crap. Good for Mike Gundy. At first I thought maybe he was going overboard but now after reading this, more power to him. This reporter just wrote an article attacking a college player's mental and physical toughness, not to mention his attitude which she's completely speculating on. Some things that jumped out at me that really pissed me off (Am not an OSU fan, in case you are wondering. I'm a Mizzou fan):

Other times, though, Reid has been nicked in games and sat it out instead of gutting it out.

What the heck does she know about "gutting it out?" Claiming that a player's injuries aren't serious enough for him to be sitting out, when she has no idea about any of it, is just low.

Or does he want to be coddled, babied, perhaps even fed chicken?

Does she think she is funny or something?

A lot of guys get nervous, some even puke before games. How you handle the nerves is important, though, and Reid hasn't always managed them well. He has gotten off to some extremely slow starts, putting the Cowboys in some holes. Some, they dug out of, with Reid often wielding the biggest shovel, and some, they couldn't.

Again, she has absolutely no idea what she's talking about. Being nervous = getting off to slow starts? She's attacking Reid by completely speculating him about being mentally weak. :-t

Word is that Reid has considered transferring a couple different times, the first as early as 2005. Reid, then a redshirt freshman, was facing competition from returner Donovan Woods, and apparently, Reid considered leaving OSU just because he had to compete for the spot.

"Word is." Speculation. She's basically calling him a wimp. Actually, she's the wimp for not naming a source and accusing Reid of being afraid of competition without anything to base it on.

That scene in the parking lot last week had no bearing on the Cowboys changing quarterbacks, and yet, it said so much about Reid. A 21-year-old letting his mother feed him in public? Most college kids, much less college football players, would just as soon be seen running naked across campus.

Give it a rest. What does she know about his relationship with his mother? Everything else is attacking Reid for his play- this is taking it WAY too far.

And what of the scene television cameras captured earlier that evening of Reid on the sidelines laughing with assistant strength coach Trumain Carroll? The same cameras showed him throwing his cap in disgust after a missed play earlier, but to be laughing in the final minutes of an embarrassing loss is bad form.

She's watching this from an outside view on television. So she decides to publish this crap, accusing Reid of not caring? Because she saw him laughing on the sidelines with a coach? Does she have ANY idea whatsoever about what was said in that conversation?

Here's what it comes down to- this reporter's got an agenda. And that agenda is to tear apart a college athlete, and she did so by completely speculating about situations she has no idea about. This reporter makes me sick, this article is 100 times worse than I thought it would be :-t
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:42 am

People need to treat these people as who they are, college students. Just because the media treats college football as a professional league in terms of coverage, does not make it one. The media needs to realize the limits of criticism, of someone playing on a team as a student, not a professional athlete. When he signs a contract, let him have it, that comes with the territory, but an overwhelming majority of college football players don't make a professional team ever, even if you just take DIV. I, so quit treating them as such.

I believe in freedom of press, so I don't think there should be written rules, but it'd be nice if people could act under a common courtesy. On another forum I stated the bounds of what feel is fair criticism.

Any on the field X's and O's mistakes are fine, a general assessment of how they played poorly or well, and things that correlate directly with football. Not criticisms, of off the field behavior, habits, likes, dislikes, etc. These players shouldn't be ridiculed on their character, unless of course you are dealing with some sort of incident. You shouldn't be trying to imply that because some college students acts a certain way off field, he can't be a good QB. ("Michigan's starting QB sat out with a questionable injury on Saturday's game, by the way he also wears pink T-shirts and enjoys knitting in his spare time") Reporters should try and find something a little more productive than attacking 18-22 year old college student's character.

Then some idiots like to say, well some get scholarships so they should be open to such criticism. Yeah, some get scholarships with the sole intent of using said scholarship to get an education and become something other than a professional athlete, and that scholarship allows them to afford education that they otherwise couldn't of afforded, quit treating college sports in general like they are purely a step between high school and the Pro's because for 90% or more it's not. People wouldn't feel it's okay for a columnist to write a paper about Susy who's on academic scholarship, and her grades slipping while rumors around campus have her spending her weekends out late with her friends.

She was out of line and I'd be interested in her defense of why she felt informed enough about the severity of an injury to comment on whether it was something he could play through, or what exactly she was intending to be taken from the anecdote of his mother feeding him chicken. What exactly were her motivations for adding two things?

If you want to criticize an athlete, talk about how he's looking deep too much and how he needs to hit his check downs, or, how a guy isn't giving his line enough time to setup their blocks, or how his footwork is bad in the pocket, not how you saw him cry after Old Yeller, and how that might show you why he's "soft".
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to General Talk