Bradley's Latest Altercation: Umps to Blame? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bradley's Latest Altercation: Umps to Blame?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Bradley's Latest Altercation: Umps to Blame?

Postby Yoda » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:31 pm

costag wrote:I don't blame the umpire at all. Bradley is a grown up and should act like it. So someone called you a F'n piece of Sh#t. I am sure if Bradley went to first base and didn't say a word to the first base ump, he'd still be playing. Can't take what you dish up, then shut up.

Anyway, I referee Ice hockey and the top level that I work in is Collegiate. Rules make it very easy for an ump/referee to throw someone out the game or give them a penalty. I also ref 8 year olds and ,of course, by no means do I let someone of that age curse, back talk or question a call. We aren't supposed to. How else would they learn respect for the game. Not many breaks are given to players of that age range.

As they get older, I can say they are given a little more slack and especially when they get to be an adult. I think the only time I have cursed while Officiating was in a Collegiate/Men's league game. They curse at officals all the time and argue calls and don't get assessed penalties in most cases (unless they do it in a threatening manner or doesn't give it up), and a few times I have had to say to a player "Shut the F-ck up" or "stop being such a F'in Ahole". Adults seem to comprehend this better then trying to keep your calm and let it go in one ear and out the other. When it's let go, they tend to keep it up until things escalate until penalties are given.

I don't condone what the umpire might have said to Bradley but what would have happened if the umpire threw him out right away for instigating the arguement. I garauntee the same thing would have happened anyway. I know it is the MLB and that scenario would probably never have happened but to me, if Bradley wants to talk like he has always talked he got to be able to take it. It's adults talking to adults. Can't take it, keep your mouth shut to begin with!!

Bradley's a punk. No Sympathy from me.

You are still missing the point after 5 pages of discussion. No one is making umpires accountable for their actions. Winters going to far is a great example. Focus on the issue not bashing Bradley. We all know Bradley is an idiot and deserves whatever he got.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby costag » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:51 pm

I don't think I missed the point.

The subject heading is "Bradley's Latest Altercation: Ump to Blame?"

I said no the ump shouldn't be to blame. Did he go to far? Probably. Should he be suspended? More than likely.

Sole blame can't be given to just one party here.

Just gave my opinion and gave a little input from someone who is coming from the other end. Being an ump/ref is a thankless job. They get cursed at, taunted, threatened, and blamed even when they have a good game. Now maybe, if I was getting paid a few hundred thousand dollars to get fat and say "safe" or "out", I might think differently and say he should have kept his mouth shut.
costag
College Coach
College Coach

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:31 pm

Yoda wrote:You are still missing the point after 5 pages of discussion. No one is making umpires accountable for their actions. Winters going to far is a great example.

Baseball is holding them accountable.

Winters suspended
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby RynMan » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:55 pm

He deserved the suspension, without a doubt in my mind.

I don't think he is to blame for Bradley's injury at all. That's Milton playing games (oh you better believe there was a pun intended!).
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby JTWood » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:05 pm

RynMan wrote:That's Milton playing games (oh you better believe there was a pun intended!).

Cracking me up... :-b
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby davidmarver » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:12 pm

In any other workplace, if someone working called another person what Winters called Bradley, they'd be fired immediately. You can say all you want that Bradley should have had more restraint, but he should have never had to exercise restraint to begin with. I wouldn't be surprised if the players union sued on Milton's behalf for lost future earnings and won a substantial amount, along with seeing Winters rightfully tossed from baseball.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Bwanna » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:39 pm

davidmarver wrote:In any other workplace, if someone working called another person what Winters called Bradley, they'd be fired immediately.

That's exactly right. But, managers screaming face-to-face within an inch of each other, and then kicking dirt on each other's shoes would probably result in firings as well. So, there's a bit of a different (unfortunate) precedent here. Personally, I think the suspension is a joke (a week?), and was simply done to prevent any further problems with Winters' crew while officiating Padres' games this week (duh), not as a punitive action, although MLB is trying to pass it off like that.

davidmarver wrote:You can say all you want that Bradley should have had more restraint, but he should have never had to exercise restraint to begin with. I wouldn't be surprised if the players union sued on Milton's behalf for lost future earnings and won a substantial amount, along with seeing Winters rightfully tossed from baseball.

Bradley's injury can't be blamed on Winters, it was an accident and Bradley's fault if anyone's. And Winters absolutely should be fired.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st]
123Innings '08 [1st/1st], '09 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/4th], '12 [4th/2nd]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Cool 3.0 '08 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 262)

Postby JTWood » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:51 pm

Bwanna wrote:Bradley's injury can't be blamed on Winters, it was an accident and Bradley's fault if anyone's. And Winters absolutely should be fired.

;-D and ;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby costag » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:07 pm

Bwanna wrote:Bradley's injury can't be blamed on Winters, it was an accident and Bradley's fault if anyone's. And Winters absolutely should be fired.

Fired? :-B What a joke! I guess you want every manager who curses at an umpire for calling a low pitch a strike to get the axe, too!

Why don't we go one step further and terminate the contracts of any player who rushes the mound after getting hit by a pitch!

Grow up.
costag
College Coach
College Coach

Postby J35J » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:38 pm

costag wrote:

Fired? :-B What a joke! I guess you want every manager who curses at an umpire for calling a low pitch a strike to get the axe, too!

Why don't we go one step further and terminate the contracts of any player who rushes the mound after getting hit by a pitch!

Grow up.

I'm not saying Winters should be fired or not....I don't really care. But what Winters did is completely different and much more "severe" than a manager or a player argueing calls, IMO. The last thing I want to see is more Umps doing what Winters did. Umps don't need to be interfering with the players and the game right in the middle of play.

What would have happened if Bradley got picked off of first because he turned slightly to see/hear what Winters was saying to him?
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers