Bradley's Latest Altercation: Umps to Blame? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bradley's Latest Altercation: Umps to Blame?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Bradley's Latest Altercation: Umps to Blame?

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:24 pm

Yoda wrote:Umps need to be put in their place. Fans do not come to see them call the game. They are only there thanks to the players.


Players have to be put in their place as well. They get no special treatment and are no "better" than the umps. If anything, they should be acting better than the umps. Umpires aren't typically viewed as role models by children, yet players are.

And only talking about the above statement with that, not anything to do with this particular situation. ;-)

Mookie4ever wrote:He blew out his ACL when his manager had to restrain him from attacking an umpire?!?! Are you kidding me. What justifies attacking an ump?


Exactly. Bradley needs to lay on a leather couch and talk to someone with a degree on the wall. Guy's really screwed up in the head. Mr. tough guy needs to work out his issues and mature a bit. :-b

Bwanna wrote:I also give credit for Milt calling time, touching the bag, and then speaking to the ump.

Look at this single incident at face value.


True. He did do that. Then he went nuts. Why? Why can this child not behave like a rational adult when dealing with others? As you said: He called time, touched the bag, and everything just like he was supposed to. Why ruin that by acting like an idiot after that? Makes no sense.


DISCLAIMER: Again, so there's no misunderstanding, I have no clue if this is Bradley's fault or the umpire's fault. Not blaming either side, and don't care to debate it. Simply trying to figure out how Bradley still has a job when he acts like such a spoiled tough guy brat is all. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: Bradley's Latest Altercation: Umps to Blame?

Postby Yoda » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:32 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Bwanna wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:He blew out his ACL when his manager had to restrain him from attacking an umpire?!?! Are you kidding me. What justifies attacking an ump?

On a side note the team should fine MB for being out of shape. If you have seen the video you would have seen how little it took to blow out his fat knee. This tub-o-lard is a pro athlete? Time to hang em up Milton and give Vince McMahon a call.

Nothing justifies attacking an ump. Bradley claims he wasn't attacking him -- check the post-game interview. Who knows if it is true, but my guess is he was doing exactly what managers do when they want to be heard by an ump -- they yell as loud as they can and as close as they can to the face of the ump without touching him. Is that an attack? Nope. I also give credit for Milt calling time, touching the bag, and then speaking to the ump.

And, nothing justifies an ump initiating and personally insulting any player (regardless of their history).

In fact, nothing justifies an ump baiting a player by initiating an antagonistic conversation with him while the game is in progress -- I don't care WHAT is said... the ump should shut up and do his job, or call time and speak to the player if he feels it is necessary.

So, give me a freakin break with Milt's history. Look at this single incident at face value.


I never said anything about Milt's history. The truth is that he was hurt by his manager trying to restrain him. I don't know whether the manager thought that he was trying to attack the ump but he thought that it was important enough to restrain him. If the manager thought that Milt wanted a polite conversation he would not have wrecked his knee trying to hold him back.

I also saw the video several times and Milt blew a freakin gasket. It looked like he was trying to attack the ump. Milt needed to be restrained. If he did that at a college rally he would have been tasered.

I agree that umps are puffed up popinjays and think way too much about themselves and should shut up. I also think that Milt lost it, acted inappropriately and it's pretty funny that the fat out of shape slob tore his ACL this way.


I don't think anyone is siding with Bradley. I know I am not. But the underlying issue is that the umps are way out of line these days and that needs to be corrected. While Winters didn't directly injure Bradley, the fact of the matter is, he is out for the season and his team may be out of contention as a result. All because the ump had to get his two cents in. It's ridiculous.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Bradley's Latest Altercation: Umps to Blame?

Postby Melo255 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:35 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Bwanna wrote:Nothing justifies attacking an ump. Bradley claims he wasn't attacking him -- check the post-game interview. Who knows if it is true, but my guess is he was doing exactly what managers do when they want to be heard by an ump -- they yell as loud as they can and as close as they can to the face of the ump without touching him. Is that an attack? Nope. I also give credit for Milt calling time, touching the bag, and then speaking to the ump.

And, nothing justifies an ump initiating and personally insulting any player (regardless of their history).

In fact, nothing justifies an ump baiting a player by initiating an antagonistic conversation with him while the game is in progress -- I don't care WHAT is said... the ump should shut up and do his job, or call time and speak to the player if he feels it is necessary.

So, give me a freakin break with Milt's history. Look at this single incident at face value.


I never said anything about Milt's history. The truth is that he was hurt by his manager trying to restrain him. I don't know whether the manager thought that he was trying to attack the ump but he thought that it was important enough to restrain him. If the manager thought that Milt wanted a polite conversation he would not have wrecked his knee trying to hold him back.

I also saw the video several times and Milt blew a freakin gasket. It looked like he was trying to attack the ump. Milt needed to be restrained. If he did that at a college rally he would have been tasered.

I agree that umps are puffed up popinjays and think way too much about themselves and should shut up. I also think that Milt lost it, acted inappropriately and it's pretty funny that the fat out of shape slob tore his ACL this way.



If his manager thought it was serious enough to need to restrain him, after the 1st base coach tried but was pushed away by the way, I think it's simple to assume he didn't just want to yell. A manager can yell at an umpire because it's his job to speak for his players the same way in other sports it's the captains job to argue with the ref.

You give credit to him calling time and touching the bag? How does that make every single thing he did after those 2 seconds better? He went completely berserk and you think it's OK because he called time and touched the bag first?


Bwanna wrote:I'm assuming that if an ump called you as a player (at any level) a f*ing piece of s**t while your back was turned to him watching the game, you'd say to yourself... "You know he's right, I really am a f*ing piece of s**t, and I feel really bad about my past, and I deserve that. I should thank him later for putting me in my place by insulting me."


Can you see understand there are more options to people than either being a total pansy like in the example you just gave vs losing total control over yourself like actually happened or is everything all or nothing to you? If an ump said that to me I'd tell him to F-off. If I was so sensitive that I just couldn't let it go then after the game I'd file a report with the league. I certainly wouldn't lose self control like that and try to attack him. I mean seriously who hasn't been called way worse than that in their lives? Most people have some ability to temper their fury instead of giving in to it and making things physical.
Image
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1411
Joined: 5 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: PAO Thira 13

Re: Bradley's Latest Altercation: Umps to Blame?

Postby Melo255 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:42 pm

Yoda wrote:I don't think anyone is siding with Bradley. I know I am not. But the underlying issue is that the umps are way out of line these days and that needs to be corrected. While Winters didn't directly injure Bradley, the fact of the matter is, he is out for the season and his team may be out of contention as a result. All because the ump had to get his two cents in. It's ridiculous.


Uggh this is exactly what I'm talking about. It's not all because the ump had to get his two cents in. It's because Bradley lost control. The overwhelming majority of people would have handled it totally differently and in a mature manner. Bradley is the person who took it out of control. Yes the ump was an idiot but Bradley's injury happened because Bradley lost it not because of the umpire. Bradley taking it to a whole different level and getting injured is entirely his own fault not the umpires nor the managers. Making it physical would only be OK if he felt threatened. What threat was the ump to Bradley that he needed to act like he did? Did the umpires words come out of his mouth and attack his knee?
Last edited by Melo255 on Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1411
Joined: 5 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: PAO Thira 13

Re: Bradley's Latest Altercation: Umps to Blame?

Postby Yoda » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:44 pm

Melo255 wrote:
Bwanna wrote:I'm assuming that if an ump called you as a player (at any level) a f*ing piece of s**t while your back was turned to him watching the game, you'd say to yourself... "You know he's right, I really am a f*ing piece of s**t, and I feel really bad about my past, and I deserve that. I should thank him later for putting me in my place by insulting me."


Can you see understand there are more options to people than either being a total pansy like in the example you just gave vs losing total control over yourself like actually happened or is everything all or nothing to you? If an ump said that to me I'd tell him to F-off. If I was so sensitive that I just couldn't let it go then after the game I'd file a report with the league. I certainly wouldn't lose self control like that and try to attack him. I mean seriously who hasn't been called way worse than that in their lives? Most people have some ability to temper their fury instead of giving in to it and making things physical.


So how do you explain Meachem turning to Winters right away even before Bradley blew up? Obviously what Winters said was bad enough and thought he had crossed the line. You just want to give Winters a free pass because Bradley has anger issues?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Bradley's Latest Altercation: Umps to Blame?

Postby Melo255 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:49 pm

Yoda wrote:
Melo255 wrote:
Bwanna wrote:I'm assuming that if an ump called you as a player (at any level) a f*ing piece of s**t while your back was turned to him watching the game, you'd say to yourself... "You know he's right, I really am a f*ing piece of s**t, and I feel really bad about my past, and I deserve that. I should thank him later for putting me in my place by insulting me."


Can you see understand there are more options to people than either being a total pansy like in the example you just gave vs losing total control over yourself like actually happened or is everything all or nothing to you? If an ump said that to me I'd tell him to F-off. If I was so sensitive that I just couldn't let it go then after the game I'd file a report with the league. I certainly wouldn't lose self control like that and try to attack him. I mean seriously who hasn't been called way worse than that in their lives? Most people have some ability to temper their fury instead of giving in to it and making things physical.


So how do you explain Meachem turning to Winters right away even before Bradley blew up? Obviously what Winters said was bad enough and thought he had crossed the line. You just want to give Winters a free pass because Bradley has anger issues?


No I don't want to give him a free pass. I think he should fined and probably suspended for the rest of the season and the playoffs. What I have a problem with is people saying that the ump should be fired and/or that Bradley's actions and injury are the umpires fault and he should be judged on that. Judge the umpire only on what he said not what Bradley's reaction, injury and hurt to his team was. Those are entirely Bradley's fault and not the umpires. The umpire said a few words. Bradley caused his own injury. There is a distinction.
Image
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1411
Joined: 5 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: PAO Thira 13

Re: Bradley's Latest Altercation: Umps to Blame?

Postby Yoda » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:59 pm

Melo255 wrote:No I don't want to give him a free pass. I think he should fined and probably suspended for the rest of the season and the playoffs. What I have a problem with is people saying that the ump should be fired and/or that Bradley's actions and injury are the umpires fault and he should be judged on that. Judge the umpire only on what he said not what Bradley's reaction, injury and hurt to his team was. Those are entirely Bradley's fault and not the umpires. The umpire said a few words. Bradley caused his own injury. There is a distinction.


I disagree. They need to make an example out of this ump and fire his ass. He was in no position to be talking crap to the player to begin with. He only did so because it was Bradley. He was not involved in the play in any way and everything would have been fine if he kept his mouth shut. Instigating and provoking to the point where it became unacceptable for the player and the coach can no longer concentrate on a very important game. Even if Bradley wasn't hurt in the play, MLB should do something about Winters and the rest of the umps who think that they are bigger than the game. I'm just tired of it.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Bradley's Latest Altercation: Umps to Blame?

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:01 pm

Yoda wrote:I don't think anyone is siding with Bradley. I know I am not. But the underlying issue is that the umps are way out of line these days and that needs to be corrected. While Winters didn't directly injure Bradley, the fact of the matter is, he is out for the season and his team may be out of contention as a result. All because the ump had to get his two cents in. It's ridiculous.


"his team may be out of contention as a result"?!?! 13 HR and 37 RBIs, let's not go crazy here. Bradley's psyche is about as brittle as his body. The injury is the result of poor conditioning and too many double cheeseburgers.

Image

sorry milton but that's life.

Image
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19486
(Past Year: 301)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Re: Bradley's Latest Altercation: Umps to Blame?

Postby Yoda » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:02 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Yoda wrote:I don't think anyone is siding with Bradley. I know I am not. But the underlying issue is that the umps are way out of line these days and that needs to be corrected. While Winters didn't directly injure Bradley, the fact of the matter is, he is out for the season and his team may be out of contention as a result. All because the ump had to get his two cents in. It's ridiculous.


"his team may be out of contention as a result"?!?! 13 HR and 37 RBIs, let's not go crazy here. Bradley's psyche is about as brittle as his body. The injury is the result of poor conditioning and too many double cheeseburgers.

Image

sorry milton but that's life.

Image


Bradley was by far the best hitter on the Pads since the AS Break. He has been huge.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Bradley's Latest Altercation: Umps to Blame?

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:07 pm

Yoda wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:
Yoda wrote:I don't think anyone is siding with Bradley. I know I am not. But the underlying issue is that the umps are way out of line these days and that needs to be corrected. While Winters didn't directly injure Bradley, the fact of the matter is, he is out for the season and his team may be out of contention as a result. All because the ump had to get his two cents in. It's ridiculous.


"his team may be out of contention as a result"?!?! 13 HR and 37 RBIs, let's not go crazy here. Bradley's psyche is about as brittle as his body. The injury is the result of poor conditioning and too many double cheeseburgers.

Image

sorry milton but that's life.

Image


Bradley was by far the best hitter on the Pads since the AS Break. He has been huge.


You mean fat? He was batting .167 in September with 2 RBI.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19486
(Past Year: 301)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GiantsFan14, leolagq1 and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Monday, Apr. 21
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Baltimore at Boston
(11:05 am)
Kansas City at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
LA Angels at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
St. Louis at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Miami at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Arizona at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
San Diego at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Texas at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Philadelphia at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Houston at Seattle
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact